american accent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SherbrookeJacobite
    I always appreciate what you have to say Eleana!
    hey that was a nice thing to say! Same here.
    'S toil leam Gàidhlig a bhruidhinn agus a leughadh agus sgrìobhadh oir 'se an cànan feumail agus àlainn a th' innte.

Comment

• Despite Japanese Whispers providing numerous incorrect statistics, I do believe the one he mentioned that there are more native Scottish Gaelic speakers than there are native Irish Gaelic speakers to be correct.

By "native speaker" that is those speakers from the traditional Gaeltacht areas(in Ireland) and Gaidhealtachd in Scotland who have been brought up speaking their respective Gaelic dialects from their mother`s knee. (i.e from birth) rather than gaining it from Gaelic-medium schools later on.

Last I heard, there were around 30 000 traditional native speakers of Irish Gaelic (brought up in traditional Gaelic-speaking communties), but around 59 000 Scots Gaelic native speakers (brought up as children in traditional Gaelic -speaking communites (the Uists, Barra, Lewis, parts of Skye, Wester Ross).

There are of course thousands more fluent speakers of Irish Gaelic than there are of Scots Gaelic.

Originally posted by thepatriot
      Were are the facts to back your claim? I can't find them anywhere. These are the only facts I could find:

From the 1996 census:
      42% of the Irish population claimed to be able to read, write or speak some Gaelic. Around 100,000 were considered to be truley fluent with the language. The population of Ireland at that time was 3.9 million.

From the 1991 census:
      1.34% of the Scottish population can either read, write or speak Gaelic. Scotland has a population of over 5 million and only 66,000 can speak Gaelic.

Care to tell me where you recieved your facts from?
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4388061.stm

Comment

• that's the curse of every statistic! You have to include hard data where you draw your statistics from before you can jump on conclusions.
        'S toil leam Gàidhlig a bhruidhinn agus a leughadh agus sgrìobhadh oir 'se an cànan feumail agus àlainn a th' innte.

Comment

• hey how about a canadian accent? I'm from canada... and no i dont live in an igloo and i dont say eh all the time. I am curious because it is oh course way diff from american accent as canada is way more culturly diverse...

Comment

Working...
          X