american accent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• american accent

Hello my name is Jim and I was just wondering since we americans think it is cool when we hear a scottish accent, do scottish people think it sounds cool when they hear a american accent or do they think it sounds stupid.

~IBeirTheBEll
    [/COLOR] Of course you can't become, If you only said what you would have done.

I love american accents, I always have...I certainly dont think they sound stupid...I grew up watching the usual american tv programs, but I didnt meet my first American in the flesh until I was 23 yrs old ..he was from Chicago and had a very sexy accent...ended up marrying him

Comment

yea.. I live in wisconsin, not to far from where chicago is but, yea chicago people have a different accent then we do, it usually comes from being in the city and sounds like a kinda of mobster or gang person, cool but i prefer mine since i like being out i nthe country.

Comment

he has travelled around alot since he was about 18 when he joined the airforce so his accent probably isnt as strong as alot of people from up that direction..I have only been in the US a couple of years and cant pick up on the more subtle differences between alot of the accents that my husband can...but they are nice.

Comment

thanks for your replies, but those of you scots who dont know the different accents in american well here they are..

You have your "hick" or redneck sounding accents which usually orginate down south in the US and most are farmers of somesort.

The you got your city boys who have a mobster kind of click to there tougne, (many people think this is the coolest one).

Then you have up north in the US where there still is alot of farmers and rednecks but we dont have nearly the same accent of those in the south. south usually stretch there words more and sound more retarded. haha jk not to offend anyone from the south.

thats all i got lads

Comment

No we don't really. We hear them all day. Some advertisements use American accents unnecessarily. As elsewhere in the world, corporate American culture is a bulldozer flattening what's already here.

(Two can play at George Orwell quotes)
            "In this country I don’t think it is enough realized—I myself had no idea of it until a few years ago—that Scotland has a case against England."

Comment

I wouldn't say we think it sounds stupid - but we certainly don't think it sounds 'cool' either

Comment

Originally posted by Polwarth
                I wouldn't say we think it sounds stupid - but we certainly don't think it sounds 'cool' either
                It would depend which kind too, Polwarth. Although the USA has less variation in accents than Scotland, or at least you have to travel further to hear the variations than here (especially the further west you go)... it's true to say that the traditional Bronx or Southern accent have a very different effect than "standard" American. Black American English is sometimes considered "cool" by some youths.

I went to university with someone who tried to emulate an American accent, pronouncing "city" as "siddy". He didn't sound American, just an idiot!

"In this country I don’t think it is enough realized—I myself had no idea of it until a few years ago—that Scotland has a case against England."

Comment

thanks for the replies

Comment

Also, IBeirTheBell, it's maybe worth commenting that it may only be the relative rarity of (real) Scots accents in your part of the world that lends them a degree of "coolness".

You have to remember that in Scotland, we not only get exposed to our own regional Scottish accents, which are markedly different from one another, but also to all varieties of English accents, and just about every American accent you can imagine, through TV, film, music and so on.

One of the things that interests me most is when I hear a UK speaker with strong regional accent that has American echoes. What I mean is not that the regional speaker is influenced by American speech, but that it strongly suggests that at least some element of one American accent owes its origins to that UK region.

I hear that in strong English West Country accents and in Northern Irish speech, for example.

And before you all get started, I am not saying that it's as simple as that, nor am I suggesting that all American English accents are based only on influences from the British Isles. However, it interests me.

Comment

I find American accents to be much more diverse than IBeirTheBell does. I believe I can nearly identify the state where someone learned to speak. A good deal of influence comes from the ethnic background. For example, In the northern Midwest speech sounds like a combination of Norwegian and Canadian. In the Southeast, you hear Cajun (French & Carribian patois). There's the deep South, where they tend to drop r's and the Northeast where they pick them up and add them to the ends of their words.

The U.S. has nearly 300 million people and covers 3.5 million acres, so you expect very big differences.

It's more interesting when differences in regional accents and dialects are so pronounced in a relatively small area. More regional pride? Less interaction with each other? Anyone in here study this sort of thing?

Comment

I am from West Virginia and my mother talks like she is from Kentuchy. For instance her night,light,write,and so ons are amusing to me. We love to tease her and tell her she was born and raised in Kentucky. I am picking it up form her though and according to my stepfather sound like a well educated hick..

I'm not a farmer.
                        I am a stable girl technically. I love horses and do not mind to get dirty and I'm not into all things girly.

I wonder if some Scot's were to come to West Virginia or Kentucky if they'd enjoy themselves. I may slip and say I am getting p*ssed and someone think a thirteen year old is getting a 'wee bit' drunk. I also wonder how my accent will sound when I try speaking Gaelic.

Lordy..

Comment

good luck with that considering most scots dont speak gaelic

Comment

I remember reading that on these boards somewhere. I would liek to learn it because it interests me. I already am learning Spanish and was learning French but need to continue and I would love to learn Latin since it is never spoken usually only written. So Gaelic just seems liek something I would love to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by IBeirTheBell
                              good luck with that considering most scots dont speak gaelic
                              But many still do, and shouldn't be ashamed of it. If it's disappeared, it's gone by force, the "choice" came after.

Comment

Working...
                              X