Last Name Translation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Name Translation

My surname is Cormack and although my family have been in Scotland for hundred's of year's, I believe the name is actually Irish.

Does anyone have any more info on it?

Also, is it translatable into Gaelic?

Hello
    According to this site, the Cormacks/MacCormacks (in all their various spellings!) are claimed as a sept by Clan MacLean... It may also be claimed by other clans, too.... It appears to be one of the names of Scots and Irish origins, like Kennedy.

http://www.gillean.com/Roots/septs/mccormac.htm

Comment

As a woman, your surname would be NicCormaig, but if you were a man, it would be MacCormaig. (Gaidhlig distinguishes between male and female surnames, and it's not the only language to do so. Russian does too)

(Two can play at George Orwell quotes)
      "In this country I don’t think it is enough realized—I myself had no idea of it until a few years ago—that Scotland has a case against England."

Comment

And Icelandic, as if that does matter
        Anam Ceilteach

Comment

Originally posted by Eiric
          And Icelandic, as if that does matter
          I wasn't going to quote Icelandic, because people think gaidhlig is obscure enough already...

(Two can play at George Orwell quotes)
          "In this country I don’t think it is enough realized—I myself had no idea of it until a few years ago—that Scotland has a case against England."

Comment

Working...
          X