Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All interested in GÓidhlig (Gaelic) read this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All interested in GÓidhlig (Gaelic) read this!

From what I've understood there are quite a lot people here interested in learning the GÓidhlig language.
    I've been studying GÓidhling some time now and I feel secure enough to help ye with learning how to work out a basic conversation, e.g How do ye do, etc. I can also do some translation work, but not to complicated stuffs.
    Maybe we can have homeworks and stuff or maybe we can't...

To start with some people think that GÓidhlig is pron. as English, Och chan eil! GÓidhlig has it's own complicated pronounciation system and something quite unusual called lenitation... Means that a letter change inte another sound when precided by some prepositions and other stuffs like that, but don't worry, I'll helpe ye out and write a pron. guide after the GÓidhlig phrases
    Before I start I'd wish to know how big the interest is.

I larnt me first GÓidhlig from me grannys mother, whom, sadly died when I was 6 years old... (I'm only 17Ż years old now... Some of you seems to think I'm much older, no I'm just sooo intelligent )

Tiridh an trÓth-seo!

Eiric!
    Anam Ceilteach

Celyn, holding her hand halfway up.

If my recent computer annoyances are indeed coming to an end, then I'd probably come along. Well, I cannot claim the misery of 'bus journeys in dark winter nights as an "excuse" to keep me away, and, in any case, I would actually be happier learning through the written word. Yes, I know that's a bit daft, but I used to hate being meant to learn words and phrases by sounds before I could see them written.

You're quite an ornament to the site, Eiric methinks.

Learning Gaelic would be good: being 171/2 again might even be better.

Comment

Why is it that we talk of learning 'GÓidhlig' (rather than 'Gaelic') but not 'Franšais' instead of 'French' and 'Deutsch' instead of 'German'? Was just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirta
        Why is it that we talk of learning 'GÓidhlig' (rather than 'Gaelic') but not 'Franšais' instead of 'French' and 'Deutsch' instead of 'German'? Was just curious.
        To distinguish it from Irish Gaelic when speaking in English.

Comment

lets learn

Great idea Eiric, I love the worksheet idea too. Ive been pasteing your translation to my computer to save them but would like to start over. The pron. is what worries me. I hope i can keep up. Thanks Kristine

Comment

I am very very interested. You have an excellent idea.
            When do we begin???
            "IF WOMEN DIDN'T EXIST, ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD WOULD HAVE NO MEANING." Aristotle Onassis

JUELES

Comment

Have a pen pal for you

Hello Eiric
              Didn't know how else to get this message to you.
              I have a daughter who is almost 18. She is part Italian, 1/4 Irish, Scottish, French, English, Swedish, Japanese, Dutch and possibly German. We call her Missy and she lives in Indiana. I think she would love to have you for a pen pal.
              If you are interested just drop me an e-mail and I will let you know hers.
              "IF WOMEN DIDN'T EXIST, ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD WOULD HAVE NO MEANING." Aristotle Onassis

JUELES

Comment

Originally posted by Steaphan
                Originally posted by Hirta
                To distinguish it from Irish Gaelic when speaking in English.

I agree with you Steaphan. French/Franšais everybody knows
                its the same, but when you say or read "GÓidhlig" you know right away its Scottish.
                KJ.

Comment

Its a good idea Eiric.

Taing airson ur cuideachadh!

KJ.

Comment

Okey, mo Charaidean (friends) My school starts in a minute but I think that all your interest is enough for encouraging me to start this "Class"

I'll post your first phrases later today and you can all feel free to ask me questions,

Le meas
                    Ur tidsear (hehehehe like to call meself a teacher) Eiric
                    Anam Ceilteach

Comment

So to start with;

Hello what's your name?

Hallo! DŔ an t-ainm a tha oirbh?
                      [Hallo! Jeh an tanim a ha orriv]

To answer you say 'S mise______________
                      Iss Misheh]

Sorry I can't write at the moment, and I'll be away all weekend, but I'll start this up properly on monday

Eiric
                      Anam Ceilteach

Comment

Carson nach iarr thu air liosta den h-uile neach aig a bheil ¨idh anns a' ch¨rsa agad? Ma gheibh thu an se˛laidhean phuist-dealain dh'fhaodadh tu an c¨rsa a dhŔanamh mar sin.

Why don't you ask for a list of everyone who is interested in your "course"? If you get all their email addresses then you could do the course that way.

Comment

languages

I think that would be a little difficult to email every one. If you do it here Eiric then any one who wants to jump in can. Thanks Krisitne

Comment

Tha

Originally posted by Celyn

Learning Gaelic would be good: being 171/2 again might even be better.

Tha gu dearbh. (Ha goo djarruv). Count me in for both programs.
                            "if
                            a toktaboot
                            thi trooth
                            lik wanna yoo
                            scruff yi
                            widny thingk
                            it wuz troo."

Comment

Steaphan, Why not help me?

Anam Ceilteach

Comment

Working...