Prejudiced Crap in the Paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks aNonny Moose. That sums it up.

Hirta accused me of changing the subject when he himself had changed it from anti-Gaidhlig journalism!

(Two can play at George Orwell quotes)
    "In this country I don’t think it is enough realized—I myself had no idea of it until a few years ago—that Scotland has a case against England."

Comment

Originally posted by Scottish_Republican
      Did I forget to mention something else? England also has a problem with prejudice with Continentals. The media still behaves as if World War II is going on/just gone by, and the French and Germans are secretly plotting to get rid of the Queen's head off the coins and establish the fourth reich apparently. I think it's fair enough to say that even most non-bigoted English people don't understand that they are Europeans too.
      This has got nothing to do with bigotry and everything to do with history and culture.

France and Germany are the two most powerful countries in continental Europe, and they are also the countries largely leading the push for greater federalism. Both also have as a central feature strong bureaucratic elite’s which are not found in England.

However France and Germany have very different histories to that of England. France is an old nation while German is much more recent, but the main difference is that England has remained stable where as France was rocked by revolutions, and Germany - with a considerably shorter history - gave us Hitler and two world wars.

Now while the above all took place in the past, nevertheless they do indicate a greatly different political culture, and therefore you can see why the idea of greater Euro federalism is not something the English feel much enthusiasm for.
      There are two types of people in this world, good and bad. The good sleep better, but the bad seem to enjoy the waking hours much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Scottish_Republican
        p.s. Allan Brown may be writing in an English paper, but the man is a self-hating Scot.
        Why? Merely because he mocks Gaelic speakers in his newspaper column (which is meant to be light-hearted and humorous, not serious journalism).

To follow on from this logically:

The Dubliners who mock their fellow Irishmen to the West (who the call bogtrotters), are they self hating Irishmen?

The Southern English who mock their Northern brethren (making out that the are ignorant, oafish and stupid), are they self hating Englishmen?

The Urban East Coast Americans who mock their countrymen in the South (saying they are ignorant inbred yokels), are they self hating Americans?

Well are they?
        There are two types of people in this world, good and bad. The good sleep better, but the bad seem to enjoy the waking hours much more.

Comment

Working...
        X