No announcement yet.

Language in Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The argument that the primary motive for preserving the Scots language is that it helps to establish the Scottish people as having a seperate and distinct national identity is not one that I agree with.Certainly some nationalists might believe that,but I think the majority of those who want to preserve the language are more motivated by a desire to retain an important part of our heritage.Scots and English do share the same origin.They both evolved from the old English spoken by the Anglo-Saxons however Scots evolved from a specific dialect which was spoken by the inhabitants of Northumbria.The languages took divergant paths with English being heavily influenced by Norman French,while Scots was influenced by languages such as Flemish,Gaelic and even the Brythonic tongue of the Picts.True Scots is recognisably a distinct language from standard English however only a minority of people now speak true Scots and,unfortunately in my opinion,many Scottish people now speak an Anglicised version of Scots.The Scottish parliament is commited to preserving the language and have promoted various education initiatives to this end.I would be happy to see the Scottish parliament adopt Scots as an official language as I welcome anything which will raise it's profile and make people aware that an important part of our nation's cultural heritage is in danger of dying out.

Comment

SCOUSE

Fairstly, thuz is bags o' misunderstand'n about lingo death an revival but fe anyone seriously intiested ay would recommend de bewk published last year by joshua fishman (lead'n wirld lingo expert)"the 'andbewk o' de lingo and de ethnic identity. Thuz ay batties o' comparisons betweun de lingos and de countries made by a gewd couple distinguished professors and experts in de pitch o' linguistics an de lingo revival.
      Firstly, in all but around 5% o' cases, de lingo death is norra natal th'n at all! In scotlands case (gaelic and scots) it wuz de governments policy and decision ter eradicate both o' dese languages (in favo o' de southern dialect o' english). Most lingo death comes about as a result o' de ignorance, racism and discrimination usually from a larger culte dat considers itself superier.
      I am o' de opinion dat de thoughts expressed e'yer about de lingo ay far tew general. gaelic, scots and de english continue ter play a 'uge part in de 'istory, culte and 'eritage o' this country. also, lingo revival is no easy peasy th'n especially whun, dead oftun, de users o' de lingo ay not dead intiested in its svival. It is a thankless yakka and thuz ay bags o' ignorant people ready ter shout it down. Languages ay a dead important part o' de diversity o' de wirld and rather than beleive de ignorant comments about lett'n dem die we should be com'n up with arguements fe preserv'n this diversity.
      All de self-identity (people,places) is expressed through lingo and it is therefore dead important if one wants ter preserve their own ethnic identity. no one wants (er expects) de clock ter be tned back but de lingo revival efforts o' some ay indeed a boss th'n. Anuvver mis-understand'n is dat lingo divide is de cause o' strife and war, 'owever most o' de world's population ay bi-lingual. Keep'n yer own lingo and identity is no bad th'n in de moey o' globalisation. Respect fe diversity is de only way forward. Whun a lingo dies, de knowledge and experience dat goes with it is bushed forever.
      It is through de ignorance, deceit and more oftun than not, violence, dat a kip o' muno-linguistic stupidity comes about. it is juss through ignorance dat a gewd couple scots dun evun recognise dese important parts o' their culte. (Givun de crent kip o' education in de country it tinnie be argued dat it is not entirely their fault, 'owever this kind o' ignorance is only accepable ter a degree). Thuz will be poverty and danger before us if we lewse this diversity. keep gaelic and scots alive ! scott domhnallach"

Comment

Working...
      X