A Gaelic language Bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Gaelic language Bill

Does any1 Know if any of the Parties have a Gaelic Language Bill In their Election Promises???????

If you go to
    http://www.ssg.maoism.ru/index.html/

you will see one of the aims of the group is

"To restore Gaelic as the national language of all Scotland."

Quite how this will be achieved is not shown. I also doubt many people would find this a plausible proposition.

Comment

This is from the SNP website at http://www.snp.org

Russell Launches Gaelic Language Bill

Holyrood, 14 November 2002

Mr Michael Russell MSP and Mr John Farquhar Munro MSP have launched the first Gaelic Language Bill in the Scottish Parliament.

The Bill, entitled the Gaelic Language (Scotland) Bill was introduced into the Parliament yesterday (Wednesday) and has received a certificate of legislative competence from the Presiding Officer which allows it to move to Stage 1 in the legislative process.

The bill is in the name of Michael Russell but Mr Munro is the first supporting signatory. Launching the bill today (Thursday) Mr Russell said:

"Today's event is the culmination of two and a half years work by John and myself. We both acknowledge the help and advice we have received from a large number of people including parliamentary staff and Gaelic activists. This has allowed us to get to the stage where the Parliament can choose whether to support a step forward for the Gaelic language which has been debated and discussed for almost a century, or whether to turn its back on Scotland's most threatened but oldest language."

Outlining the provisions of the Bill, Mr Russell added:

"This bill establishes a basis of equality between Gaelic and English, first of all in the area of public administration. It lays on public bodies the duty to treat the languages in the same way, to use both languages in normal communication and to be able to respond to Gaelic enquiries. It gives members of the public the right to demand such services and it establishes a framework for action that can expand the original area covered by the bill - the Highlands and Islands of Scotland - when circumstances make that possible.

"The last Gaelic Language Bill to reach the first stage of the Parliamentary process was that promoted by the late Donnie Stewart MP at Westminster in the late 1981. It was talked out by a hostile chamber. Now, the first Scottish Parliament in 300 years has the opportunity to right that wrong and contribute positively to the future of the language."

Mr Munro added:

"I am delighted that we have reached this significant stage. All that is required now to translate this first important step into law is the support of the Scottish Executive parties.

"I am particularly delighted, as a Gaelic speaker, that this is also the first bill in the Scottish Parliament which is published simultaneously in English and Gaelic.

"Michael Russell and I tried to legislate for Gaelic education in the Standards in Schools Bill two years ago and were defeated by Labour. This time we hope that Labour will realise that there is a strong demand for at least the start of a process which will honour the promises made to the language by my party, by Labour and by the SNP at the last Scottish Parliament election. Failure to make this bill law by May 2000 would be a matter for extreme regret and would condemn any individual or party which blocked the bill to a furious reaction in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland."

Comment

Would they have gained encouragement from the current existance of the Welsh Laguage Act in place in Wales? It sounds that the gaelic bill wants the equivelent benefits that this act already enjoys.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil_Caple
          This is from the SNP website at http://www.snp.org

Russell Launches Gaelic Language Bill

Holyrood, 14 November 2002

Mr Michael Russell MSP and Mr John Farquhar Munro MSP have launched the first Gaelic Language Bill in the Scottish Parliament.

The Bill, entitled the Gaelic Language (Scotland) Bill was introduced into the Parliament yesterday (Wednesday) and has received a certificate of legislative competence from the Presiding Officer which allows it to move to Stage 1 in the legislative process.

The bill is in the name of Michael Russell but Mr Munro is the first supporting signatory. Launching the bill today (Thursday) Mr Russell said:

"Today's event is the culmination of two and a half years work by John and myself. We both acknowledge the help and advice we have received from a large number of people including parliamentary staff and Gaelic activists. This has allowed us to get to the stage where the Parliament can choose whether to support a step forward for the Gaelic language which has been debated and discussed for almost a century, or whether to turn its back on Scotland's most threatened but oldest language."

Outlining the provisions of the Bill, Mr Russell added:

"This bill establishes a basis of equality between Gaelic and English, first of all in the area of public administration. It lays on public bodies the duty to treat the languages in the same way, to use both languages in normal communication and to be able to respond to Gaelic enquiries. It gives members of the public the right to demand such services and it establishes a framework for action that can expand the original area covered by the bill - the Highlands and Islands of Scotland - when circumstances make that possible.

"The last Gaelic Language Bill to reach the first stage of the Parliamentary process was that promoted by the late Donnie Stewart MP at Westminster in the late 1981. It was talked out by a hostile chamber. Now, the first Scottish Parliament in 300 years has the opportunity to right that wrong and contribute positively to the future of the language."

Mr Munro added:

"I am delighted that we have reached this significant stage. All that is required now to translate this first important step into law is the support of the Scottish Executive parties.

"I am particularly delighted, as a Gaelic speaker, that this is also the first bill in the Scottish Parliament which is published simultaneously in English and Gaelic.

"Michael Russell and I tried to legislate for Gaelic education in the Standards in Schools Bill two years ago and were defeated by Labour. This time we hope that Labour will realise that there is a strong demand for at least the start of a process which will honour the promises made to the language by my party, by Labour and by the SNP at the last Scottish Parliament election. Failure to make this bill law by May 2000 would be a matter for extreme regret and would condemn any individual or party which blocked the bill to a furious reaction in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland."

Thanx Neil!
          It Seams Like The SNP are The Party 4 This!

Comment

Originally posted by Hirta
            Would they have gained encouragement from the current existance of the Welsh Laguage Act in place in Wales? It sounds that the gaelic bill wants the equivelent benefits that this act already enjoys.
            I would Hope so!
            I am Hoping for it 2 become easier 2 Learn Gaelic at All Levels and for Gaelic 2 be a language once again In Scotland!

Comment

Working...
            X