Is this Galic or Celtic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Galic or Celtic

A friend of mine told me this he wasn't sure if it was Galic or Celtic the only thing he knew about it was one of it's many meanings and how to say it. To be honest I don't even know how to spell it corectly so I'm going to have to spell it the way it sounds.

PUG MAHONE

I do know that aparently one of the translations for this is something bad, and I am sorry to anyone that might be offended by this.

Thanks to anyone that can or will help.
    Humanity is my religion

Languages have precise meanings so I am having trouble with this concept of many possible translations.

To answer your question, the phrase has a precise meaning in Gaelic (both Scots and Irish varieties) and those languages are both Celtic languages.

Comment

Those translations are totally new to me. But I like them all. Thanks for the help. I'm looking to learning Gaelic, but want a decent book, or decent class. Here in California there are some classes that are quite pricy, and the only books I've been able to find are just for crap.
      Thanks again.
      Humanity is my religion

Comment

Hey, I'm from California too. I had similar trouble finding a good book for learning Gaelic. I bought "Teach Yourself Gaelic" by Boyd Robertson and Ian Taylor, but it's not very good. It teaches "how" but never "why", so it leaves you very confused. Also, it'll teach you the same concept over and over, but it won't tell you it's the same concept. It makes Gaelic seem like a lot more memorization than it is. However, I've found a very good sereis of lessons on line. Here's the url.

http://www.contemporarypoetry.com/brain/lang/index.htm
        "Pure religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world." (James 1:27)

www.personal.psu.edu/bmd175

Comment

Thank you soooooooo much. I only looked at it for a few miniutes but that one actually looks usable.
          I'll more then likely keep looking for something I can use to practice while I'm going to, and from work.
          What part of California are you in? I'm in the SF bay area.
          Thanks again.
          Humanity is my religion

Comment

I'm from Lakewood, in the LA basin (go Angels!), but I'm at Penn State U now.
            "Pure religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world." (James 1:27)

Comment

Congrats Angels

I have to say after the A's were eliminated, I said the Angels were going to win in 6. So I was only one off. It even got to the point I where I was rooting for them because I said they were going to win. I'm not a big time Giants fan either even though at one of my jobs I sell there tickets. Congrats on your win.
              Just wondering are you learning Gaelic for a purpose or for the fun of it? I'm doing it purly for the fun.
              Humanity is my religion

Comment

I'm learning Gealic just for the fun of it. It's a very interesting language, and very different from English. However, I've found a few superficial similarities to Spanish, like similar words for "body" and "of." This is due to them both being descended from Italic, which was the precursor to both Latin and the ancient Celtic language.

Comment

I know absolutely no Latin, or so I thought. Now if I dig deeper I just may find some I know. Thanks for the info either way though.
                  Humanity is my religion

Comment

Looking for a few good tapes

Hi,
                    I hope everything has been going well for you. I've been doing the lessons off that site you sent me the link for, however I can't seem to find a decent tape to listen to like it sugests. I was just wondering if you had any sugestions?
                    Humanity is my religion

Comment

Hi, everything is going pretty well for me. How are you? I hope you're enjoying learning Gaelic. Cānan āluinn a tha innte. (It's a beautiful language.) I don't know where to buy tapes, but I have found a site with a very thourough pronounciation guide. It also has lots of accompanying sound files. Be warned, if you haven't seen a pronounciation guide yet the words may not sound anything like you imagined That happened to me. Here's the link to the site:

http://www.akerbeltz.org/fuaimean/roradh.htm

Have fun!

Comment

Thank you again

I have seen the pronouciation but I haven't been able to hear the specifics yet.
                        I am so loving learning this fantastic language, I'm not very far yet, but I think I'm doing pretty good for a beginer.
                        If I find any good tapes I'll make sure to let you know about it.
                        Humanity is my religion

Comment

'S e do bheatha (You're welcome)

This site has lots of specifics!

Comment

I can tell. I didn't listen to all that much yet but from what little I've heard it is great.
                            Thanks again, and let me know if there is anyway I can help you.
                            Humanity is my religion

Comment

Working...
                            X