Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great site to hear Scot's spoken

Hi,
    I think Scots is a beautiful language. Here is a website where you can hear Colin Wilson of the Scot's Speikers Curn speaking it: http://www.btinternet.com/~lcwilson/colin.htm I listen to him often when I start getting stressed out at work.
    Gwen

Hello there usgirl, come tae Scotland and yer lugs wull hear Lallans bein spoke fur real.
    aw ra best noo, fae The Lowlander.
    100% Air a dhèanamh ann an Alba.

Comment

Hi Lowlander,
      I understood every word of that! Actually, I quit smoking 10 days ago (after smoking every day for the past 30 years!) and I'm saving the money I would have spent on cigarettes for a trip to Scotland! I want to save enough so that I can make a proper trip of it (a month would be great, six months would be better ). Take care.
      Gwen

Comment

Keep up the good work- re quitting smoking

Try Wir ain leid:-http://www.scots-online.org/grammar/
        That's a braw thistle ye posted

Comment

Gaelic or Scot?

The old official language of the Scots is/was Gaelic,right? or is it called Scots? When someone says "they speak Scots" should they say instead "they speak Gaelic"? Or is it both? And, is it still in use today or just an ancient language only spoken fluently by a few?
          Amor est vitae essentia

Comment

I am not an expert on this by any means, but Scots and Gaelic are different. I believe Scots is spoken by Lowland Scots and in the northeast of Scotland. There are some people that still do speak it and I believe they are trying to make it more popular. As I understand it, Gaelic is spoken primarily in the Highlands and the Western Islands. There are also people who would like to see Gaelic be spoken more widely. Take care!
            Gwen

Comment

usgirl

That's right, Gaelic is a Celtic language & Scots is Germanic, having it's roots in Old English and both are still spoken in Scotland.

Comment

Ahh..now it's all making more sense. And I won't sound like such a dimwit anymore..hehehe. Gracias lowlander and usgirl! :
                Amor est vitae essentia

Comment

usgirl

How does one get him to speak when you access the site?

Comment

You need to have realplayer or winamp downloaded on your computer and then click on the little speaker icon at the end of each paragraph. Good luck!
                    Aw the best,
                    Gwen

Comment

Working...
                    X