Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• translation needed

hi

i will ask point blank: is there anyone who could translate a 400 word essay into Scots please?

Hello, MacPole
    Do you mean 'Scots' as in Lallans or Doric - or do you mean translate something into Gaelic?

It depends where you come from in Scotland as to which 'Scots' you might speak! And that's without going into the thorny question of whether there is any such 'language' as Scots or if it is merely a slang form of English.... I come down on the side of it being a language, but I know that many others don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Polwarth
      Hello, MacPole
      Do you mean 'Scots' as in Lallans or Doric - or do you mean translate something into Gaelic?

It depends where you come from in Scotland as to which 'Scots' you might speak! And that's without going into the thorny question of whether there is any such 'language' as Scots or if it is merely a slang form of English.... I come down on the side of it being a language, but I know that many others don't.
      There is no thorny question here Polwarth. One thing Scots is NOT is a slang form of English. One is not derived from the other,(they come from the same Germanic root) and Scots is recognised in European Law as a minority LANGUAGE. The Scots that many in Scotland speak nowadays however is much watered down, and mixed with English which leads many people to believe that is just slang.

Comment

Hi McPole,

I think as there exists a really big dictionary of English/Scots-Scots/English your chances for a good translation shouldn't be too bad.
        "Wherever the spirit of Montrose may lead me"

Comment

Steaphen

Ah ken jist fine at there's a language cawd Scots! Crivens ah post on a few Lallans sites awra time...! It's rerr fun, so itis. Yer no talking tae a numptie here, ken!
          On most of the Lallans boards, nowaday, the apostrope is not posted to denote a missing letter, the assumption is that anyone reading it kens fine whit ra wurd wid soon like if it wis spoken.

I posted as above because I wasn't sure if the poster wanted a Gaelic speaker or not! And, let's be fair, even Some Scots deny there is a language called Scots - even though it used to be the language of Scotland's courts!

Comment

ff

I mean Lallans. So Polwarth, will you do me a favour and translate something?

Comment

>ah post on a few Lallans sites awra time...! It's rerr fun, so itis.

Gonnae post a few eh thir addresses. So thit a kin mibee cast ma ain een ower thim. Jist the gid wans mind.
              100% Air a dhèanamh ann an Alba.

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm!

In fu view of aebdi..... aw they urls? Ah'll huvtae hink aboot it!

Lowlander - isn't postin in lallans liberatin?!
                BTW, whaur ye fae?

MacPole - fower hunnert wurds....... whit d'ye need it fur?

Comment

>In fu view of aebdi..... aw they urls? Ah'll huvtae hink aboot it!

Lowlander - isn't postin in lallans liberatin?!
                  BTW, whaur ye fae?

ach its awricht aboot the addresses, a wisnae thinkin. A'll jist dae a google search an fun thim fur masel, an aye it is libaratin. Ye widnae believe aw they so-cawd Scots thit think its nuthin bit slang, an uncooth slang it that. A wiz born an brocht up in Glesca, bit noo a bide jist ootside it. In a toon wir yer lugs wull still hear the wurds 'a ken'

Comment

Ooch, I dinnae ken weel aneugh...

Anyway, I think I remember that http://www.rampantscotland.com had a a good page on Gaelic and one on Scots, even on Glesga slangs, including a wee chat. Have a try, but I do not know where in rampantscotland this was hidden, so you have to click your way through... Good luck!
                    "Wherever the spirit of Montrose may lead me"

Comment

Lowlander
                      Ach weel, you cannae help bein born a Weegie, son.... so ah'll excuse it! Ahm fae Edimbra.

The thing aboot thon sites I mentioned, ah huv nae problem wi you huvin ra URLS but - you huvnae goat an email addy here - and neither huv I - so it is difficult. The trouble is that I was guided here by friens affa summy they Lallans sites - an they were involvit in a number of stooshies ower here a long while back - so, ah widnae want tae publish aw the addies! Ah'd get laldy if mah pals thocht ah hid brocht trouble tae their doors, ken!

The funny thing is, ah'm richt guid at scrievin ra Lallans - but tae hear me talk - jings, you'd hink ah wis Miss Jean Brodie
                      Awrabest, son!

Comment

>Ahm fae Edimbra
                        Weel yill ken thon Embra welcome - 'come awa in yill hav hid yer tea'
                        >so, ah widnae want tae publish aw the addies!
                        Nae bothur a'ill jist dae a wee search
                        >The funny thing is, ah'm richt guid at scrievin ra Lallans - but tae hear me talk - jings, you'd hink ah wis Miss Jean Brodie
                        Am jist the oppusit, ave been talkin Scots fae a wis a bairn, bit is yill ken fine yersel ye wur never telt how tae spell in Scots...an so am aw richt talkin it, but scrievin it..weel noo thats a hale diffurent baw game. An even noo when a tak ma wean to the skull a kin still hear ma's an da's tellin thur weans - 'it's not dug, it's dog' or 'it's not windae, it's window' a weel ignorance is bliss fur sum fowk.

[Edited by The_Lowlander on 31st May 2002 at 19:08]

Comment

I remember finding a terrific site for minority languages - trouble is, although I put it in favourites, I am using a different computer! Grrr

So, I will see if I can find it again and will post it if I do. I DO know, however, that I posted it somewhere on Scotland.com in response to a member's enquiry - so maybe it is findable by searching here.

I'm intrigued by Polwarth, in that I could probably speak Lallans reasonably but would find it really hard to write in. Still, Hugh McDiarmid once thought he would not write in it, so there's always hope.

Bye for now - I hope to be able to find that site for us all.

Comment

EUREKA!

Ok - This http://members.tripod.com/~rjschellen/LangLinx.htm is the site I had in mind, and here is a small bit of it i.e. = the Scottish section.

Scots
                            Glaswegian Dialect
                            Scots 700 Word Vocabulary
                            Scots Language and Pronunciation
                            Bibliography for Students of Scots
                            Lessons in "the Patter"
                            Aiberdeen Univairsitie Scots Leid Quorum
                            Background to North-East Doric
                            Click and Listen Project for Scots
                            Doric Net
                            Gaelic and Scots in Harmony
                            Hame Awa' Frae Hame
                            Paul's Celtic Art - In Scots
                            Scots Audio files
                            Scots Glossary
                            Scots Language Resource Centre
                            Scots Language of the Lowlands
                            Scots on the Wab
                            Scottish Dialect
                            Shetland News
                            The Scots Haunbuik
                            What is the Scots Language?
                            Wir Ain Leid: An innin til Modren Scots

Well, RATS!!!!! They are actual links in that site, but don't appear as links here - very annoying. Whit a scunner.

So, I will be sorry if the site does not actually help with the specific question in the O.P., but I can't help thinking it is a great site to know about and bookmark anyway. (Apologies if no-one agrees and thinks it a waste of space!)

Comment

Thanks for the site addies, Celyn

I've visited only a few of them in the past - but the ones I spier and scrieve oan urnae on that list..!

I find typing the language really easy - I just hear some of my older rellies when I type! The spelling can be problematic - no-one seems to agree what constitutes the 'correct' spelling for certain words. Personally, I think it's ok if you type it phonetically - as long as the meaning is clear - for instance, I know that the word 'enough' is shown as 'eneugh' in some dictionaries - but maist o mah pals type 'enuf'...

Lowlander.... wanny the best scrievers o Lallans that ah ken is a Murcan, fae New York State - Scots ancestry - but the laddie husnae visitit Scotland in aw his puff.... but the laddie hus the patter aff pat, so tae speak; get's the cadence aff richt, anaw.......

Comment

Working...
                              X