translation confirmation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• translation confirmation

Several people have helped me out with a phrase I wanted translated. Now that I have everyone's input, I want to post it and see what everyone thinks. I want to make sure that it is correct. As silly as I am sure everyone will think this is, the phrase is going to be part of a tatoo. I want to make sure it is right so i won't get mocked!! Okay, here it is:

Mo chridhe Mo ghraidh Mo dhuine

My love - mo ghraidh

My heart - mo chridhe

My man - mo dhuine

Thanks for any input!

>My love - mo ghraidh

I think the 'a' in ghraidh has a grave accent over it, but others who post here who have far greater knowledge of Gaelic than i will tell you for sure.
    100% Air a dhanamh ann an Alba.

Comment

Originally posted by katiebelle
      Several people have helped me out with a phrase I wanted translated. Now that I have everyone's input, I want to post it and see what everyone thinks. I want to make sure that it is correct. As silly as I am sure everyone will think this is, the phrase is going to be part of a tatoo. I want to make sure it is right so i won't get mocked!! Okay, here it is:

My love - mo ghraidh

My heart - mo chridhe

My man - mo dhuine

Thanks for any input!
      Well, er, I am just a beginner, but according to my dictionary (dunno if there is an official one), the word for heart is written cridhe, so you'd have to throw out the "h".

Love would be "gaol" or "grdh". And man would be "duine" or "fear", which would not mean husband. This would be fear-psda or cile.

So says my dictionary. Hope I could help. But wait till the experts come round. I think we have some!!!
      "Wherever the spirit of Montrose may lead me"

Comment

Originally posted by jacobitedreamer
        Originally posted by katiebelle

My love - mo ghraidh

My heart - mo chridhe

My man - mo dhuine

Thanks for any input!
        Well, er, I am just a beginner, but according to my dictionary (dunno if there is an official one), the word for heart is written cridhe, so you'd have to throw out the "h".

Love would be "gaol" or "grRh". And man would be "duine" or "fear", which would not mean husband. This would be fear-pda or ckle.

So says my dictionary. Hope I could help. But wait till the experts come round. I think we have some!!!
        Halo, a h-uile duine,

the possessive pronoun "mo" aspirates the initial consonant of the noun it possesses. So..the above are all correct.

love = grdh or gaol my love= mo ghraidh/mo ghaoil
        heart = cridhe my heart = mo chridhe
        man = duine my man = mo dhuine

Comment

Halo, a h-uile duine,

the possessive pronoun "mo" aspirates the initial consonant of the noun it possesses. So..the above are all correct.

love = grdh or gaol my love= mo ghraidh/mo ghaoil
          heart = cridhe my heart = mo chridhe
          man = duine my man = mo dhuine

[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for that lesson! Cool!

Comment

Possessive pronouns.

Example: mother=mathair .....mo mhathair (my mother)
            do mhathair (your mother)
            a mhathair (his mother)
            a mathair (her mother)
            am mathair (their mother)
            ur mathair (your {plural}
            mother)
            father = athair .........
            m'athair
            d'athair
            a athair
            a h-athair
            an athair
            ur athair
            I think the above are correct, apologies if I have made a mistake.

Comment

Hi Steaphan,

thanks for sharing your knowledge with us!

Comment

Working...
              X