Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I would love to learn Gaelic can anyone help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would love to learn Gaelic can anyone help!

I am hoping to move to the Western Isle's in the next few years and i would like to be able to speak Gaelic can anyone tell me where you can buy the best Gaelic tape or dictionary or if anybody has one they don't want i'll be sure to give it a good home!

From another beginner....

Try amazon.com

I bought me there a cassette-based course called "Colloquial Scottish Gaelic" by Katherine M. Sparado and Katie Graham. It has a textbook and two cassettes. It is very well structured, easy to follow and explains a lot of things in addition.

Or try to get it via http://www.routledge.com
    Routledge is the publisher.

Good luck and a lot of patience!
    "Wherever the spirit of Montrose may lead me"

Comment

hello Shonagh

Just a quick post now - and I hope to come back with a better reply later. Have a look at this link. Oh, and perhaps look through older threads in this column, as they might help you.

http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/beurla/Gaelic_lessons.html

Comment

Thanks Guys!

Thanks for all your help i'll check them out.

Comment

Re: Thanks Guys!

The site Celyn mentioned is really good! Have a try!

Comment

Is there a "Do it yourself" kind of book or tapes you can listen to??
            Prayer has comforted us in sorrow, and will help strengthen us for the journey ahead-George W. Bush

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel2
              Yes. The "TEach Yourself" series of language books published by Hodder and Stoughton has Gaelic. Also, Hugo's Scottish Gaelic in Three Months is good for the grammar side of things, and then there is "Colloquial Gaelic" which I hear is very easy to use and has a lot of listening material to go with it. These are all good DIY courses to get you started.

There is also an older series of books called "Can seo" ("say this") but I don't know if they are still in print. "Speaking Our Language" uses CD-ROM, and videos as well as books. It's very popular, but there is a lot to buy so it is the most expensive option.

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel2
                As already recommended above, "Colloquial Scottish Gaelic" by Katie Grahame and Katherine M. Sparado. Textbook with two cassettes, really good. Available via amazon.com within two weeks.

Comment

Also Grampian Television have some good stuff on their website!

Comment

Originally posted by maddog_mcclaymore
                    Also Grampian Television have some good stuff on their website!
                    Thanks for that! Will have a look!

Comment

Working...
                    X