Hidden Benefits of Being Messy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hidden Benefits of Being Messy

Society isn't kind to messy people. But is messy so bad?

The professional organizers claim that clutter costs us hours each day by making
    it harder to find things. When a mess has been cleaned, it often takes longer to remember where the iem had been stored.

Some experts believe we need schedules and plans, but disorganized peopel usually are better at rolling with the punches and seizing serendipitous opportunities.

EXAMPLE: The Scottish biologist Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin when samples he had carelessly left exposed in his mess of an office were contaminated while he was away on vacation.
    (For many people a certain amount of messiness can be beneficial...)

What to do...
    Allow certain areas of the house to be messy. Don't worry if the kids' rooms are a mess.

Permit mess cycles Let the mess build, and pick up every few weeks or when guests are coming.
    Last edited by Texasmujer; 11th November 2007, 02:32. Reason: type-o...

I am sat here, surrounded by my mess about once a month I tidy my comp. desk up....I
    am one of those that knows where everything is in my mess...my hubby calls it my dump
    corner ...But you walk through to the kitchen and it's a different matter !!

The spare bedroom is full of things that need sorting and I will get round to it one day...maybe
    on my next move

Messy can be good !!!!!!!

Comment

SO good...

I AGREE...MESSY is GOOD!! Now, about moving---I'm moving (AGAIN) ...and, I've decided to just throw things into large, heavy-duty plastic bags that seal well...(PLEASE DO NOT tell Martha Stewart...!)

Comment

With the amount of ornaments I have I don't think plastic bags are advisable

Comment

Wee tip - Always display some get-well cards on your mantlepiece. If unexpected guests arrive, they'll think you've been to sick to tidy up.

Comment

Originally posted by keyhole kate View Post
            Wee tip - Always display some get-well cards on your mantlepiece. If unexpected guests arrive, they'll think you've been to sick to tidy up.

What if you don't have a mantlepiece

Comment

Originally posted by Babz View Post

What if you don't have a mantlepiece
              Then make the supreme sacrifice...clear away some of your ornaments and use that empty space. Trust me hen, it'll be worth it..

Comment

Originally posted by keyhole kate View Post
                Ooh, CLEVER! I like that one. You are sneaky! Do you give lessons in this skill? How much ?

Babz, if no mantelpiece, and, no I have don't have one either, perhaps the window ledge might do or maybe just in some way "casually" lying on a coffee table.

Comment

Originally posted by Celyn View Post
                  Ooh, CLEVER! I like that one. You are sneaky! ......
                  Wee word of warning, Celyn....
                  ...all things in moderation. If you keep the 'sick' thingie going too long, next thing you know, everyone assumes you are terminally ill.
                  Be prepared for wee yellow post-it papers appearing and stuck on your every possession, with the 'tag' words, "I baggsied this furst"!!
                  Not a pretty sight...

Comment

Heh, is that the voice of experience there?

Ah well, stick to Plan A - simply don't answer door and let anyone in. UNLESS they come bringing along "get-well" chocolates and chicken soup and stuff, of course.

Comment

What, then happens to the messy corner?!? OH NO!!

Comment

When you hear people at the door, you think fast and you quickly paint your face, hands, any visible bits, with red spots (perhaps green would be even more scary) and then you greet your friends at the door, sounding ill and sad, and explain that it would be unkind to let them come in and risk infection.

So you just take all their goodies and don't let them in to see the messy corner.

After you repeat this a few times, the problem will solve itself, as there will be no more friends.

Comment

stall visitors at the door/ corridor and throw everything behind the sofa. i have a messy room and when my niece and nephew come - both 5 and 6 - i hide treats for them in the room and they are so enthusiastic in tidying it up that it gets done in no time at all.and then goes slowly back to its messy state until the next time they come of course

Comment

Heh, I've heard of getting weans of five or six-ish to do stuff like "sort out the video recorder" etc., on the grounds that if it's so simple a five year old child could do it, then for goodness' sake somebody find a spare five year old child, but I didn't realise they could be used to tidy up too.

I sometimes notice one or two of the creatures playing outside: perhaps I should borrow them - entice them home with offers of treats? Hmmmm, then again, maybe not.

That's quite a clever plan you have there, Macklamm: after all, if we're not allowed to send them up chimneys any more, it's as well to find a way to make use of all that energy.

I wonder, though. Have they ever decided that the treats just weren't good enough and just made a bigger mess by way of revenge, or in order to ensure more and bigger treats next time?

Comment

so far no as they get the spiel they are so lucky to have treats and stuff and there are poorer kids in the world etc etc so half the time they want to send them off to the poor kids so we take anything to the charity shop with some treats too that they don't wants and as we make it several games ie eye spy, spelling etc they seem quite happy to tidy up and not get bored.

Comment

Working...
                              X