X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain Jim.L.Bennett

Hi,

My aunt passed away. I've found in her papers a letter from a scottish soldier who stayed in her place in 1944. The adress on the back side of the letter is:
    Captain Jim.L.Bennett
    Rulesmains , Duns, Berwickshire, Scotland.

does anyone know something about him?

Thanks

Originally posted by guylag View Post
    Hi,

My aunt passed away. I've found in her papers a letter from a scottish soldier who stayed in her place in 1944. The adress on the back side of the letter is:
    Captain Jim.L.Bennett
    Rulesmains , Duns, Berwickshire, Scotland.

does anyone know something about him?

Thanks
    The chances of anyone here knowing who this man is, I'm afraid, are pretty slim. For one, this is an American site and there aren't that many Scots on here.

The Berwickshire address you gave isn't necessarily where the man was born so you need to consider that. And, there is no way of knowing when he was born. It could well be that he served in WW1 as well as WW2 so the National Archives would be a place to start for WW1. Unfortunately, military records for WW2 servicemen are still held by the Ministry of Defence in England so you would have to write to them.

Records | The National Archives

Service Records enquiries

Contact form
    https://www.gov.uk/req...

GENUKI: Berwickshire
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    MLK Jr.

Comment

Adding to that , the address of where he stayed in 1944 may shed light on where the man was posted , what service , and unit he was in .
      All three services have the rank of Captain .

And if you could provide the name of your Aunt as well it would help .
      Someone have have a letter or postcard , with a return address , that was sent from there.

Comment

Sir

Captain Jim.L.Bennett stayed in "Vive st Bavon" . The villagename changed after the war in "Sint- Baafs- Vijve" which is a community of Wielsbeke. He was so greatfull that "each of his whole compagny had a comfortable and happy stay" in "Vive st Bavon" that he wrote a letter to thank my uncle.

kind regards

Comment

And where in the world is "Vive st Bavon" / "Sint- Baafs- Vijve" /Wielsbeke ?

Comment

sorry

Sint baafs vijve is situated in Belgium in the province of West-Flanders.
            B-8710 SINT-BAAFS-VIJVE (WIELSBEKE). You can find it in google maps. It is situated on the northern border of de river "LEIE")

kind regards

Comment

Working...
            X