Balmoral

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balmoral

After recently attending a wedding and spending a short holiday in the Braemar area, then passing by Balmoral on my way home, I would like to know more about the Castle and its origins.
    I read somewhere that a group of people sold the original Balmoral Castle to Prince Albert. Does anyone know who they were? Any reading material to be recommended? Also how does Abergeldie (maybe wrong spelling, a Castle mentioned to me during my trip) figure in the Queen's life these days.
    BTW I was hooked on the wonderful scenery and hope to visit Scotland again in a year or two.

google it....youl find everthing you want to know

Comment

Balmoral

Not everything I want to know is on Google. That is why I asked.
      Does anyone recommend a good book to read about Balmoral its history and that of the surrounding lands.
      I hoped there might be a member of this forum who knows the area well.

Comment

Balmoral

Well, you could start with a book on Scottish history like the excellent tome by Magnus Magnusson, but you'd also find information in any good biography about Queen Victoria. She's the one who fell in love with Balmoral in 1842 and spent a great deal of time there after Albert's death. There was a nice (sappy) movie about that era called "Her Majesty, Mrs. Brown" (1997) with Judi Dench. There's a book available called, Our Highland Home: Victoria and Albert in Scotland by Jeanne Cannizzo. Explores Queen Victoria and Prince Albert's love affair with Scotland, discussing their early journeys there and their stays at Balmoral. But getting to the heart of things, you probably would love to explore the castle's website: History of Balmoral - Balmoral Castle and Estate.
        Balmoral Castle and Estate, online shop, gift shop, holiday cottages, fishing, scotland

Comment

Balmoral

Thanks for offering a book title. I will try to locate a copy.

Comment

Balmoral - the majestic town

All this Queen stuff is just modern notions from a foreign culture.
            Balmoral - the majestic town - is in the celtic culture whose ancient language is gaidhlig and to gain proper insight into this requires a knowledge of gaidhlig.
            The town itself is visually spectacular set in superb surroundings - hence the attraction for foreigners.

Comment

Which it's mostly inhabited by...
              GIRFUY!

Comment

Originally posted by aNonnyMoose View Post
                Which it's mostly inhabited by...
                So the Queen, who was born at 17 Bruton Street, Mayfair, in the City of Westminster, central London, to a Scottish mother, is foreign?

Comment

i agree.....you dont much more Britishness than Saxe-Coburg-Gotha

Comment

Originally posted by TheLastLazyGun View Post
                    So the Queen, who was born at 17 Bruton Street, Mayfair, in the City of Westminster, central London, to a Scottish mother, is foreign?
                    Well, her mother wasn't Scottish either, was she? Nor were her parents.

But that whole mythology of the queen mum (always followed by "god bless 'er) was very useful propaganda for the "Sunday Post" type of thing, and useful in trying to make Scots feel they were somehow part of it all. Actually, had I been a coal mine worker in the industry that gave great wealth to that family, I really would not enjoy this idiotic kow-towing to royalty. Oh wait, I still don't.

All a nonsense, of course. I suppose the "Sunday Post" still exists, but then there is thon nice prophecy from Tom Nairn ...

The day will come.

Comment

Originally posted by tig View Post
                      i agree.....you dont much more Britishness than Saxe-Coburg-Gotha
                      And actually changing your name from "Battenberg" to "Mountbatten" looks a bit sneaky too.

One involves a cake, not a very good cake, admittedly, but a cake nonetheless, while the other just indicates a rude and often racist waste of space.

Comment

Originally posted by Celyn View Post
                        Well, her mother wasn't Scottish either, was she? Nor were her parents.
                        Her mother, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, was Scottish.
                        Last edited by TheLastLazyGun; 18th July 2012, 17:19.

Comment

True, she was the daughter of Lord Glamis (aka Earl of Strathmore) and I believe she always thought of herself as Scottish.

Comment

The parents of Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon were not Scottish either.

As to what she "believed", I think she mainly believed in "another G & T please".

Comment

No. Born in London, to parents both born in England. You have to go back to around 1820 to find the first ancestor of hers actually born in Scotland. Which makes her foreign, not Scottish. CF Sir William Wallace, 1305 - "England is foreign to me".
                              GIRFUY!

Comment

Working...
                              X