Fitness For The Over 50s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitness For The Over 50s

I've been looking around for a health club specifically for the over 50s in the West of Scotland.

Any clubs that are out there only meet during the day. Is it assumed that people over 50 don't work?

We have to be careful how much exercise our bodies can take and years of neglecting our bodies can severely hinder any inappropriate prolonged exercise. So getting the proper expert advice is crucial.

I'm looking for a club with these features:-

* Caters for the over 50s (specifically an over 50s group)

* Based in Central/West Coast of Scotland

* Opens after 6pm weekdays, or opens during the day on a Saturday or Sunday

* Has qualified instructors and diaticians

I'm really not comfortable mixing with younger, fitter people who jog fast on their running machines, while I can only do a fast-pace walk.

Does anyone know of such a club?
    Webmaster of scotchpotch.com - a hotchpotch of all things Scottish

Originally posted by scotchpotch View Post
    We have to be careful how much exercise our bodies can take and years of neglecting our bodies can severely hinder any inappropriate prolonged exercise.
    That's why I have not done any - the risks are too great !

Comment

Not helpful Lachlan

Comment

I'm working on the theory that healthy people who exercise die early, while just taking it easy ensures long life. After all, if it ain't broke, don't fix it !

Comment

Good philosophy Lachlan, although somewhat flawed.

How far to we take things easy?

Until we get too heavy and can't move?

Comment

In my health plan, watching diet is important, but no exercise at all; the only potatoes allowed are couch potatoes.

Comment

SP, your local authority must run stuff like this, mine does, but I wouldn't trouble them myself.
              Unless you're recovering from heart surgery or something and need careful supervision, just go for a walk. There are men/women in my local park, who have lost 4/5 stones, just by a self imposed regime of walking, others I know, just joined the Ramblers. The commercial health clubs would be delighted to offer personal trainers etc' you'll be lighter by pounds (maybe hundreds!) in no time. Nobody else can do this for you, it's up to yourself! Swimming's good but the water holds the weight, walking's the jinkies, you support yourself.

wullie.

Comment

What you say is all common sense Wullie - and I do a lot of walking.

But I still think that a small group of like-minded mature individuals can help and motivate each other.

The local council-run facilities are useless. As I said earlier, they seem to think that the over 50s don't work anymore and so they hold their classes during the day.

I'm not into buying fancy gear and hiring a personal trainer.

Comment

Like your site Scotchpotch!

wullie.

Comment

SP, this just came through the door. Glasgow Life's latest walking programme, town & country, Home

Type "Walking Programme"

wullie.

Comment

ive been asked to set up a walking group in the north of glasgow by glasgow life.

there are already a few in the are but they feel the need for another one.

ill let you know if/when it happens

Comment

We've just bought an interactive VR Kinect unit for our son's X-Box 360. There's various exercise game titles avalable. Maybe I should get one !

Comment

i got wii active for my sons wii a wee while ago and had a go on it........once.

i do a lot of cycling but i still couldnt move my legs for about 3 days...bloody palates .....fook that.

ive also seen a mate rip all the muscles in his shoulder playing baseball on it so be careful

Comment

I might try the boxing one, as long as Mike Tyson isn't on it. I'd hate to lose an ear, virtually !

Do they have darts or snooker ?

Comment

let us know how you get on with that.

i give it 20 mins at most.....its bloody hard

Comment

Working...
                              X