X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HIV originated in Cameroon Chimps

Beatrice Hahn of the University of Alabama led the study

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/af...eut/index.html

Studies have traced HIV to a man who gave a blood sample in 1959 in Kinshasa, then called Leopoldville. Later analysis found the AIDS virus.

I had an argument about this with someone not long ago...the person said oh the Americans caused aids in some experiment gone wrong in Africa....but there was too much evidence from African customs of those eating raw monkey brains of infected monkeys..and from the first outbreak of aids in Kinshasa ....the ebola virus killed the Belgian and French nuns/nurses in the first outbreak also in Kinshasa ...I read the original story of those nurses years ago and said then that the disease was natural in monkeys...and that it probably transmitted that way or something similar to that...he violently disagreed with me about both...and voila here it is aids from the chimps......he also blamed some white man as he put it for bringing aids to the states......(man the propaganda machine out there is annoying some days...people will believe anything when they have a beef with our side of the world just because our technology is a bit advanced in places ohhh we are the big bad creators of everything even though other countries also have technology and well trained scientists...but oh no we did it ...so he utterly pooh poohed my theory and the data about the first person to bring it to the US in which I was accurate..having checked the actual data beforehand...he would not even look lol! So this finding will be lost on him...but should you run across an individual like I did..this one's for you)........and it is highly possible ebola will be found to be of similar causes...an ordinary primate disease (it is found to be naturally occuring in Rhesus monkey populations) that was introduced due to bad practices ie eating contaminated raw meat...or via bodily fluid contact of some sort.....anybody have any new ebola data? I am not saying it is but I do feel it leans in that direction of being from a similar genesis as aids.
    Last edited by wild-in-tent; 27th May 2006, 11:39.
    What is the use of intelligence when one lacks compassion for the life around oneself? And what is the point of beauty, when one's heart isn't one's loveliest feature?

As far as I know most filoviruses have been found to originate from African primates, but their geographic distribution is not clear-cut. In 1989 there was an outbreak in Reston, Virginia that as it turns out was a strain of Ebola not infectious to humans, the virus was coined Ebola Reston. This outbreak was limited to monkeys that came from the Philippines and I believe the current theory is that there is a less virulent strain circulating around this area as there are people in the area that have antibodies. I have read some on the topic, but don’t have any internet links and would need to research more. New species of every type of plant and animal on this planet are discovered all the time and IMO it's not surprising that we come across a few highly infectious and quite virulent microorganisms. Including those that aren’t technically ‘living’ and have potential to cause utter mayhem.

The best we can hope for is quick response and containment and when it comes to viruses hopefully vaccines. I won't discount that scientific mistakes happen and cause major harm (the Africanized Honeybee for example). But in a case such as filoviruses or 'new' diseases that will always be emerging I doubt there is much that can be done concerning general finger pointing to place blame. There will always be people who want to find a conspiracy or a cause other than a simple explannation of 'expect the unexpected.'
    Intellectual freedom cannot exist without political freedom; political freedom cannot exist without economic freedom; a free mind and a free market are corollaries.- Ayn Rand

Comment

The good thing about this is that now they can use the right tissue cultures to study this virus. Hopefully narrowing it down helps find answers that they need to combat this epidemic.
      Sadly as more and more of the rainforests of the world are cut down, many more things that the jungles have kept in balance will be thrown off kilter and introduced to the human populations of the world. It is difficult to access an intact jungle, this had served as a protection in the past. I also said re the cameroon chimps that I was not sure that it does...but they do eat raw monkey brains in that area....when you are hungry do you specify between a cameroon chimp and a rhesus monkey? I dont know.....and I said so....

Originally posted by Not_Just_DNA
      As far as I know most filoviruses have been found to originate from African primates, but their geographic distribution is not clear-cut. In 1989 there was an outbreak in Reston, Virginia that as it turns out was a strain of Ebola not infectious to humans, the virus was coined Ebola Reston. This outbreak was limited to monkeys that came from the Philippines and I believe the current theory is that there is a less virulent strain circulating around this area as there are people in the area that have antibodies. I have read some on the topic, but don’t have any internet links and would need to research more. New species of every type of plant and animal on this planet are discovered all the time and IMO it's not surprising that we come across a few highly infectious and quite virulent microorganisms. Including those that aren’t technically ‘living’ and have potential to cause utter mayhem.

The best we can hope for is quick response and containment and when it comes to viruses hopefully vaccines. I won't discount that scientific mistakes happen and cause major harm (the Africanized Honeybee for example). But in a case such as filoviruses or 'new' diseases that will always be emerging I doubt there is much that can be done concerning general finger pointing to place blame. There will always be people who want to find a conspiracy or a cause other than a simple explannation of 'expect the unexpected.'
      Last edited by wild-in-tent; 8th June 2006, 18:09.
      What is the use of intelligence when one lacks compassion for the life around oneself? And what is the point of beauty, when one's heart isn't one's loveliest feature?

Comment

What makes you think that it was transmitted to humans by someone eating an ape?

(Two can play at George Orwell quotes)
        "In this country I don’t think it is enough realized—I myself had no idea of it until a few years ago—that Scotland has a case against England."

Comment

I seen a documentary some time back where they went in and looked at the practice of eating raw monkey brains as being a possible source of some of the problem...it was on the Discovery channel I believe. They were looking at all the possible ways that rhesus monkey diseases were getting into the population. After they looked at all the avenues they said that one looked promising....for one avenue of transmission....at least for one of the contact parts for the rhesus monkey problem.
          I stated above that I did not know if it did .....raw monkey brains could be the raw monkey brains of any monkey species they kill, maybe they eat both I dont know....I will be watching for future data on it. I only posted about chimpanzees not apes.
          Originally posted by Scottish_Republican
          What makes you think that it was transmitted to humans by someone eating an ape?
          Last edited by wild-in-tent; 9th June 2006, 12:52.

Comment

Again, why assume it was because the apes were eaten?

Children in some parts of Africa may be given a dead simian to play with, and of course there's the big possibility that CNN is too puritanical to comment on - namely that someone had sex with an ape and caught it that way. As an STD, this is fairly likely.

"In this country I don’t think it is enough realized—I myself had no idea of it until a few years ago—that Scotland has a case against England."

Comment

They said it was one avenue of.....and yes in that documentary they did mention what you say below...but apparently that practice is only among a few tribes as when they lose a wife or as some kind of tribal ritual......but yes, it only takes one.....so, I guess they will learn more as they observe...thanks for mentioning this ...it certainly is relevant as a possible source ...and yes lol! I was being a bit of a prude there in not mentioning it lol! you caught me out

Originally posted by Scottish_Republican
              Again, why assume it was because the apes were eaten?

Children in some parts of Africa may be given a dead simian to play with, and of course there's the big possibility that CNN is too puritanical to comment on - namely that someone had sex with an ape and caught it that way. As an STD, this is fairly likely.
              Last edited by wild-in-tent; 10th June 2006, 20:53.

Comment

Well whatever you can imagine being done in the sexual arena, probably has been attempted somewhere. Like you say, it only takes one.

A friend of mine claimed to have encountered AIDS - or something very like it - in the 60s.

Comment

Where AIDS Started

:
                  What ever happened to the prevailing theory that AIDS was first found in , I can't remember how many, some French Stewards in I believe 1982 o0r there abouts. They were gay, and crossed the border from Canada and transmitted the disease to the gay community in America. From there gay intravenous users gave HIV to other users both straight and gay. HIV is not a gay disease. But, the facts are facts, HIV wasn't isolated until the French scientists iso0lated it in the mid '80s. It's interesting to speculate how HIV started in humans, but no one knows. The most exciting thing happening at the present time is that feline immunization against FIV, which is a close cousin to HIV has been developed. It has been released for use in cats and is around 70% effective. I have very strong reservations about using animals in medical studies. Yet, when it comes right done to it, people are more important than animals. I am a strong animal rights person, my opinions have put me at odds with my friends. As strong as I feel about protecting animals, I have seed advanced AIDS, and feel that as much humane treatment for animals used in medical research as possible should be used, but we must put humans first. For cosmetics and other vanity uses animals should never be used. Africa is dying from AIDS, all medicines should be available to everyone, along with food and other necessities. I'm a humanist, I believe in People-hood, remember the MRI, that's where I'm coming from.

Comment

Working...
                  X