Exercise ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercise ??

Just read the thread about weight loss and the 5 pointers and was wondering about one of them !!

What if a person cannot exercise, has anyone any ideas what they could do ??

Like the people with arthritis, I know doctors say that gentle exercise is good for them but what
    if like me(crumbling spine causing all sorts of back and leg problems) cannot do a lot as my
    limbs and joints won't allow me to do it after a few minutes.
    Don't say try for a minute longer everytime, as I know with my problems I will end up worse than
    before I started !!

I am making myself out to be a wreck but I am not lololol, I do have good and bad days !!

I do have one bit of advice that I can pass on....I bought one of those belts that you wrap round
    your body(or anywhere really) and it sends electrical pulses etc to your muscles to keep
    them ticking over !!(bit like a Tens machine !!)

If you can't put weight on your spine then you can lie on your back and lift very light dumb bells-the more you do it the more your limbs and joints will become conditioned and the easier it will get,and walking is a good exercise that doesn't put a lot of stress on your back.
    "Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Hi Andy

Originally posted by ANDY-J3
      If you can't put weight on your spine then you can lie on your back and lift very light
      dumb bells-the more you do it the more your limbs and joints will become conditioned and
      the easier it will get,and walking is a good exercise that doesn't put a lot of stress on your back.

About 10 years ago I broke my ankle and it never healed properly so a steel plate was put in
      and then removed a year later, it does sometimes make walking painful as my right ankle aches
      if I walk to far, but I do walk as much as I can, theres nothing better than a walk along the
      beach here !!

As for the dumb-bells, I do have some(well Jim does) and when I am sat at the comp or I can't
      go walking I roll them across the floor and back with my feet...lol

Comment

Babz, usually doctors advise people with arthritis to exercise so long as they aren't having a flare up, because in the long run exercise slows the progression of arthritis. You should talk to your doctor more about what you can and can't do as far as exercise, but here i know many women with arthritis who went to water aerobics classes. Doing aerobics in water removes most of the pressure from the joints and weight from your body. I remember one woman telling me, "I go every day, because i know if i didn't, soon i'd be unable to walk." She told me when she skipped a day, she immediately noticed more pain.

I Googled some places in Aberdeen that are doing water exercise & swimming, you can probably find more options:

http://www.rgu.ac.uk/rgusport/genera....cfm?pge=20474
        (Same place but this is where they post their schedule): http://www.rgu.ac.uk/files/GETT%20Ja...20Apr%2006.pdf

http://www.rgu.ac.uk/rgusport/genera....cfm?pge=20474

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/sportandrec/evergreens.hti

http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/acc/S...orts.asp?sid=1

Comment

Have you tryed water workouts?

Comment

water workouts is a good idea, water supporting your structure means you can excercise for long periods of time painlessly. swimming is a good cardio excercise. especially if you want to lose weight. however once you are finished dont eat like a horse. eat simple oats and bannanas (both virtually fat free) they are loaded with slow releasing carbs, which will replenish energy after you swim.

the reason most people get fiercly hungry after swimming is the temperture of the water affects your metabolism.

obviously with your bad back it is unadvisable to start doing free weights, but if your consult a personnel trainer at a gym, they may be able to asses your condition and allow you to use fixed weights. a lot of the machines support you well so you excercise and isolate very specific muscles.

those ab rolling machines that you can get for 50 are actually very affective, aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by *Jessie* View Post
              Have you tryed water workouts?
              actually, i don't think it will useful.

Comment

Before we moved up here I did have hydrotheraphy at the hospital and it was brilliant as the water was warm, I
                did try the local swimming pool exercise classes but as the water was cold it was defeating the purpose !!

Comment

i hate those pools

some get stuck in drain and it actually sucks out their intestine through ass

pretty sick stuff
                  i am not the band the daily flash and have no connection to them.i just like the music

Comment

Working...
                  X