Dip into honey...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dip into honey...

For a dose of protection for your heart sweeten your foods with dark-colored honey, such as buckwheat honey instead of sugar. A gram of honey is as high in antioxidants as a gram of many fruits and vegetables. These antioxidants may provide some health-promoting benefits.

I want to taste heather honey "just to see what it's like".

Comment

Another good one is active Manuka honey. It comes from New Zealand, and it's very different... it has sort of a sulfur taste to it. I didn't like it the first try, but what's funny is everyone i know who's had it develops a love of it, including myself. I haven't been able to find it in the U.S., so i bring back several containers whenever i visit the U.K.

http://www.manukahoney.co.uk/

Comment

Honey is also really good for allergy prevention. I read in Prevention Magazine years ago that if you take a teaspoon of honey every day starting in winter, that your seasonal allergies will be less severe or even eliminated. I would add, that to ensure it has the best success, buy LOCAL honey, and buy it for the season where you have the allergies. It's easy to tell which season honey comes from.... the lightest color is from spring, medium golden is harvested in summer, and the darkest honeys are late summer/early fall.

I've never had trouble with allergies, but i've told this to several of my friends who do and it helped them a lot! Vincent used to have a terrible time with hayfever, and now has no symptoms at all!

Comment

I am amazed by what happened when I started adding local honey into my diet (honey isn't something I really have ever used much of.) My Dr. recommended I add some honey to my diet to see if it would help with my cedar allergy this winter. I am taking several medications already, so despite my skepticism I was hoping the honey would work so that I could avoid taking allergy meds in conjunciton with everything else. To my amazement it did, I haven't had so much as a cedar sneeze (I have cedar allergies). Normally come January I am quite miserable, but this is the first year in a while that I really did breathe easy! I don't know if it works for everyone, but it did work for me.
          Intellectual freedom cannot exist without political freedom; political freedom cannot exist without economic freedom; a free mind and a free market are corollaries.- Ayn Rand

Comment

That is SO cool! I'm glad it worked out for you!

Comment

I made-up a couple of bottles of this at the weekend using Deeside Heather Honey. Two-months & ticking now!

Recipe - Heather Honey Schnapps
              Use pure heather honey of good quality.

In fact, you can use any good quality honey - there are hundreds of unique flavours to choose from. Try for instance Acacia, Lime, Clover or Sunflower.

However, in this recipe I have chosen to use heather honey, because it makes such a wonderful schnapps.

Direction:

In a clean glass jar, combine 350 gram pure heather honey and 1 deciliter boiling water.

Add - a little at a time - 35 centiliter clear, unflavoured vodka - 40% alcohol content (80 proof).

Stir until completely blended.

Steep for at least 2 months in a dark place at room temperature, 18-20C (64-68F).

Shake well morning and evening for about a week.

Hereafter - shake and taste it from time to time.
              Your schnapps is ready now. But some storage (aging) improves the taste. Remember to store in a dark place at room temperature.

If necessary, dilute it to suit your taste with the same type of vodka you used as base. Leave it a couple of days to settle.

Comment

Do you seal the jar? ...what i mean is, does any fermenting occur?

Comment

With 40% base-spirit, I would hope not!

Nope, sealed it in a couple of old corked brandy bottles so all it need do is mature & mellow - Parts of it were clearing nicely when I checked tonight, showing a lovely golden-clear liquid. Hopefully, it should eventually all clear to be like that as it matures.

Comment

Honey is also good for wounds. I know several loggers here in BC who have been hurt in the bush and couldn't get flown out right away, they slapped honey on the festering wound and it prevented gangrene from setting in. I believe they said raw unpasteurized honey is best for it, but one logger I knew just used the regular creamy honey and it worked. Note prior to doing this it is best to put salt in water as hot as you can stand it and dip wound in first...or clean wound out if too awkward to dip by using clean cloth soaked in the above and squeezed onto the wound...a couple of the loggers did not have that luxury though and just used the honey. Here is a link about it's effectiveness.

http://bio.waikato.ac.nz/honey/evidence.shtml
                    What is the use of intelligence when one lacks compassion for the life around oneself? And what is the point of beauty, when one's heart isn't one's loveliest feature?

Comment

Working...
                    X