Power Your Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Your Pump

Two years ago British scientists proposed the "Pollypill," a cocktail of six known drugs that, they claimed, would slash the risk of heart attack and stroke by 80 percent if taken daily. Now meet the "Polymeal," six foods that, eaten
    regularly, could cut heart disease by 76 per cent---without drugs. Dutch scientists proposed the diet in fun to show that healthy nutrition can protect your heart as well as drugs can. But they designed the meal by studying scads if research so it really could add years to your life.

ALMONDS---A handful of almonds a day reduces LDL---bad cholesterol---by nearly 5 percent, according to a University of Toronto study. And two handfuls cut LDL by nearly 10 per
    cent.

FISH---Four servings of fish a week can lower heart disease risk by an average of 14 per cent, say Tulane University researchers. Choose cold-water species such as salmon, tuna, and sardines---they're full of omega-3s, fatty acids that can lower cholesterol, blood pressure, and even the blood cell sickness that contributes to clots. But, don't go overboard. More than four four-ounce servings a week can raise blood mercury levels.

GARLIC---It may not do much for lyour popularity, but a daily dose of garlic can reduce total cholesterol level by 17 points, for a 25 percent decrase in heart disease risk. Subjects in scientific studies typically take 600 to 900 mg of garlic in dried capsule form, but one fresh clove contains the same amount of the active compounds.

PRODUCE---Score another for fruits and vegetables. Four hundred grams (about 14 ounces) produce a day could cut heart disease risk by nearly one fourth. The foods contain antioxidants that fight the cellular damage that contributes to atherosclerosis, a deadly hardening of the arteries. Produce also provides dietary fiber, which was fund to cut heart disease risk by 40 percent in a Harvard study. Broccoli, berries, melons, carrots, and leafy greeens are all rich in both antioxidants and fiber.

WINE---A daily glass of the grape can lower your odds of heart disease by one third, according to the journal Circulation. Wine (especailly red) is rich in polyphenols, substances that prevent oxidation, the process that causes cholesterol to glom on to arterey walls. As ever, too much wine is worse for you than none art all. (grape juice---from concord grapes---has the same effect)

DARK CHOCOLATE---Eating this treat can reduce blood pressure. University of California, San Francisco, researchers have an idea why: flavonoids, chemical compounds found in chocolate, can decrease blood cell sickness to pormote blood flow. Don't go nuts, though: subjects in the study ate just one 1.6 ounce per day.

Originally posted by Texasmujer

PRODUCE---Score another for fruits and vegetables. Four hundred grams (about 14 ounces) produce a day could cut heart disease risk by nearly one fourth. The foods contain antioxidants that fight the cellular damage that contributes to atherosclerosis, a deadly hardening of the arteries. Produce also provides dietary fiber, which was fund to cut heart disease risk by 40 percent in a Harvard study. Broccoli, berries, melons, carrots, and leafy greeens are all rich in both antioxidants and fiber.
    Oh, these foods are so important. Did you know that 70% of twelve-year-old kids have developed the beginning stages of hardening of the arteries? At 12!

They're also starting to see "adult" onset Type II diabetes showing up in four-year-olds. And most of these changes we're seeing are all linked to poor diet. :-(

The New England Journal of Medicine will be publishing a study that suggests that unless we change the diet of our kids, this next generation will be the first one in human history to have a shorter life expectancy than their parents. So eat those veggies! (and chocolate, too - I was glad to hear about that!)

Stephanie
    http://thedailyvegetable.com

Comment

I knew things were bad, but I didn't know they were that bad; this is scary. ALso, it's been reported that we need to eat ORGANIC vegetables, becuse most vegetables today have fewer nutrients. I want to ask, "WHAT have we done to ourselves...trying to 'improve' Mother Nature...what Fools!

Comment

"ALMONDS---A handful of almonds a day reduces LDL---bad cholesterol---by nearly 5 percent, according to a University of Toronto study. And two handfuls cut LDL by nearly 10 per cent."

What they never tell you is that you do need some Low Density Lipoprotein i.e. cholesterol, in your diet as it is a major constituent of all cellular membranes in the body. So don't go too mad with the almonds.

"WINE---A daily glass of the grape can lower your odds of heart disease by one third, according to the journal Circulation. Wine (especailly red) is rich in polyphenols, substances that prevent oxidation, the process that causes cholesterol to glom on to arterey walls. As ever, too much wine is worse for you than none art all. (grape juice---from concord grapes---has the same effect)"

I've always wondered whether red grape juice would have the same benefits as red wine. My lecturer must have assumed that students would prefer the alcoholic option and he didn't bother to mention grape juice. I've never enjoyed the taste of any wine, but grape juice I like.

"DARK CHOCOLATE---Eating this treat can reduce blood pressure. University of California, San Francisco, researchers have an idea why: flavonoids, chemical compounds found in chocolate, can decrease blood cell sickness to pormote blood flow. Don't go nuts, though: subjects in the study ate just one 1.6 ounce per day."

This would have to coincide with a non-dairy product diet as chemicals in milk inhibit the effects of the flavonoids. That's why it's dark chocolate and not the good Cadbury's stuff I like :-( I think the same benefits can be had by drinking teas (with no milk of course).

Other good ways of lowering cholesterol is by eating 2 portions of wholewheat per day and by changing to olive-oil spreads and cooking oils. Of course none of these mechanisms mentioned will work on their own, you will have to cut out foods high in saturated fats and sodium from your diet and do some exercise to keep healthy.

Comment

I agree with what you said. It's been 'said' that drinking a glass of concord grape juice will have as the same effects as a glass of red wine.

Comment

Originally posted by keltic_bhoy
            I've always wondered whether red grape juice would have the same benefits as red wine. My lecturer must have assumed that students would prefer the alcoholic option and he didn't bother to mention grape juice. I've never enjoyed the taste of any wine, but grape juice I like.[/B]
            Red wine is also high is resveritrol, an anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, and cholesterol-lowering anti-oxidant. And yes, resveritrol shows up not only in grape juice, but also in one of the Juice Plus+ products, Vineyard Blend (dehydrated berries & grapes in capsule form).

Stephanie
            http://thedailyvegetable.com

Comment

Working...
            X