A Sweet Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Sweet Switch

Switch from white potatoes to sweet potatoes and you may help to reduce your diabetes risk.

A recent study revealed that a carotenoid-rich diet helped to improve blood sugar metabolism in men at risk of type 2 diabetes. Diabetes is characterized by poor blood sugar control. Sweet potatoes are a rich source of the carotenoid beta carotene. White potatoes contain almost none.

Really? That's good news! I know also that sweet potatoes are very rich in either Vitamin E or K, I don't remember which, but with the info you just provided, it sounds like they're a better option than white potatoes, period. I suppose it doesn't really matter which I use more, because my daughter can't stand either kind (except in French fries)!

Linda
    As the stars in their vast orbits, God's timing knows neither haste nor delay.

Comment

I've even had fried sweet potaotes (as in french fried potatoes...it's delicious).

Comment

I've never tried those, although I've heard other people say they've done that. But, sweet potatoes are so hard, how on earth do you slice them for French fries in order to bake them? Baking them probably takes considerably longer, as well, I'd think, because of that very reason. Do you, by any chance, have a recipe for making French fries out of sweet potatoes? I'm sure they'd be delicious that way.

Comment

The fiber of sweet potatoes also lessons the glycemic load! :-) Suzy: I make sweet potato fries by just dipping them, julienned, into egg (you can also roll them in bread crumbs at this point - I mill my flour, so whole grain is what I recommend) and bake!

Stephanie
          http://thedailyvegetable.com

Comment

I forgot to mention... raw sweet potatoes can be cut raw with a nice, substantial knife and cook to softness in about 20 minutes at 425.

Comment

Thanks beaucoup, Stephanie! I'll have to remember that. Sweet potato fries seem like they'd at the very least be healthier than regular spud ones.

Linda

Comment

Working...
              X