Scotland.com Health Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland.com Health Club

Hey, i was thinking... a number of us want to get in shape, right? How about we start a club to help encourage each other to reach our goals?

We can start out by simply stating our goal (something measurable) and our plan for reaching it (the commitment we're willing to make). It's probably good to start with a modest plan, and then add on to it. We could even do it month by month.

Like for me,

NOVEMBER
    GOAL: to lose two pounds in November and get a little more muscle definition, particularly in my stomach. to feel a little healthier through regular exercise and drinking more water.

COMMITMENT: 1) to drink at least a 1/2 gallon / 2 liters of water every day (cuts appetite and improves health and mood). 2) to do weight training for at least 10 minutes a day 6 days a week. 3) to go for my long walk at least 2x a week.

I'm working on my arms and chest this morning... YAYYYYYY!

And my plan is to drink a liter of water before work... as i never seem to have time at work to catch a drink of water... and then a liter after work.

Comment

This is a good idea

Comment

cool. wanna join me?

I haven't had all my water yet today... same thing happened at work. We're so busy there that i work a full day without the tiniest break and i didn't get a break for a meal... but i have my water glass here now.

Comment

I found time this morning for stomach exercises and squats for ten minutes and i've had a liter of water.

HEY! it's lonely here!

won't anyone share their fitness goals too?

Comment

I PROMISE TO WEAR SPANDEX IN HONOR OF THE FIRST GUY WHO JOINS ME!

Comment

Don't wear spandex for me...I'm a woman...but, I'm ALREADY starting to drink more water thanks to your motivation. I'd offer to wear spandex, too, if I thought it would help. Did ya'll hear about the woman from Louisiana who voted in her bra and sweatpants, after having some election official telling her that she could not wear her tee-shirt (it had Bush/Cheney slogans on it)? So, she removed her tee shirt, entered the election building...probably a shcool gym...wearing her sports bra, sweat pants, and running shoes... She STILL voted for "her man"---G.Bush.

Comment

LOL!!!!!!!!

I applaude her, even though i voted for Kerry... and GUESS WHAT?

I voted in my pajamas!

The sun is still shining here and i'm off to go for my long walk before it goes down... it's gorgeous here today but the sun is low already.

And i hope the water thing is your own goal... i mean, i think drinking water is great, i know i always feel "chirpier" when i do, but i didn't mean for everyone to follow my goals but rather everyone to share whatever ones they have of their own.

Comment

well... i did a leeetle bit of stomach exercises today and i did a bit of plie s when i was doing the dishes, and i walked to get my groceries, but other than that, i didn't do a lot of exercise today, but i did drink my water!

Comment

Good for U!! Today was a wonderful day (just kidding) for my healthier diet: Cookies for breakfast...because I'm is such a hurry to get out of the house, and to meet my student at college; coffee and no plain water...am I scoring 100, yet? LOL I've got to slow down, and plan my days...I DO eat better at night...fidh, and 'roughage', etc.

Comment

you mean cookies are NOT one of the basic food groups?!?!?!?!!!

I'm not scoring too well today either. I made myself a pot of tea this morning but never drank it or more than a couple ounces of water. I haven't exercised and i'm rushing to get out the door to work... but the day isn't over yet! I DID get a couple of job applications done, though, so i feel good about that.

What about stocking your pantry with oatmeal bars, instant oatmeal or granola? That would be a little better, wouldn't it? And there is always fruit.

Comment

Well...hollyElise...it's MONDAY!! I think we all wake up around mid-day, or so. I read a new idea for 'quick', healthy snacks: tuna fish, a hard boiled egg, vegetables like carrots, celery, radishes; add some olive oil, mix it up, and U have a small meal. You can add a handful of almonds, and there you go: a meal that includes essential fatty acids and protein for energy.

Comment

mmmm, that sounds good.

another day where i worked a whole day without even getting a minute to grab something to eat! I hope i find a new job soon. I feel too tired to cook now, and all i've had since this morning was an apple... well, most of it before i got interupted... and a piece of candy because it was handy and i could have it while i worked. :/

I'll probably perk up in an hour or so, though. Just need to unwind first.

Comment

This is my contribution, I asked my good friend the doctor the following:

Subject: FW: Your questions answered

Q: I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this
                            true?

A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it...don't
                            waste them on exercise. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up
                            your
                            heart will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend
                            the
                            life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer?
                            Take a nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?

A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and
                            corn. And what are these? Vegetables.
                            So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering
                            vegetables to your system.
                            Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass
                            (green leafy vegetable).

And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance
                            of
                            vegetable products.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?

A: No, not at all. Wine is made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine,
                            that means they take the water out of the fruity bit so you get even
                            more of
                            the goodness that way. Beer is also made out of grain.
                            Bottoms up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?

A: Well, if you have a body and you have body fat, your ratio is one to
                            one.

If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular
                            exercise program?

A: Can't think of a single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No Pain...Good

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?

A: YOU'RE NOT LISTENING!!!. Foods are fried these days in vegetable
                            oil.In fact, they're permeated in it.
                            How could getting more vegetables be bad for you?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the
                            middle?

A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger. You
                            should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate te bad for me?

A: Are you crazy? HELLO ...... Cocoa beans ... another vegetable!!!
                            It's
                            the best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?

A: If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me.

Q: Is getting in-shape important for my lifestyle?

A: Hey! 'Round' is a shape!

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had
                            about food and diets and remember,

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
                            arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
                            skid
                            in
                            sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body
                            thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a
                            Ride!"

Comment

i'll have the Chardonnay and strawberries please.... have them ready after i exercise this morning! errrrrgh... *sleepy eyes*

Comment

Working...
                              X