Artificial Sweeteners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artificial Sweeteners

Does anyone else find the label 'Sugar Free' misleading?? I avoid anything with 'Sugar Free' on it like the plague as it inevitably will have ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS hidden in there instead, (aspartame is one they use a lot of in the UK) I'm sure these brain rotting chemicals have been banned in the USA (??) what do they use instead of sugar, can anyone enlighten me? And why do I have to pay more for juice for my kids that does not contain these chemicals??
    ***bLuE-sKyE***

Blue_sky, I WISH the U.S. had a good record of banning foods that were of questionable good---we don't! It seems if the item is a money making product for the manufacturer, it WILL be produced...the consumer be hanged (or worse). Our sweeteners? Aspartame is one; I know only one or two, and then, only what they are packaged under. (Sweet N' Low, Equal, Splenda) People who don't want to use artificial sweeteners, use honey. I'll check on this. I THINK aspartame, which is new, is actually made from sugar cane that's been altered somehow. "I'll get back to you on this..."

Comment

Splend is the newest sweetener, and is made from sugar (I said suger cane---1/2 dozen or six-of-a-kind). This s'posedly tastes best, but I wonder: I tried it my tea, and it just did not taste sweet for me; I finally used honey.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, I will check up on aspartame as I didn't know it was partially natural!!! I just try and avoid anything with 'artificial sweetener' as it just sounds bad! I was reading an article about fizzy drinks the other day......ohmygod!! enough to put you off touching another fizzy drink forever!!! not that I buy it often but the kids like it for a treat now and again. Misleading food labelling is in the news here at the mo but it will probably take years before a decent law comes out to protect us all-trusting consumers.
        ***bLuE-sKyE***

Comment

and how often have we all bought things that say "no added sugar" only to find that there is a hell of a lot of so called natural sugar in it any way.
          strangers are friends we have yet to meet.

Comment

Blue_sky, I went home and lookes at the 'sugar' I use (I'd just bought some Splenda). It's extremely light weight, and in a flake form...some people really like it, though. It's going to take some time for me to get used to it, however. But...yes...the labels on food products are mislesding---it's incredible.

Comment

Hi tayman/tex

lots of my friends have bought 'sugar free' thinking it was better for the kids teeth, when I told them it was full of art.sweeteners they were horrified as they hadn't thought to check the label. Also 'diet' stuff is full of it, and it tastes awfully 'sweet', much sweeter than sugar. my hubby was telling me that some chocolate has an added chemical to make you crave more of the stuff........now I know what to blame ) also food aimed at children....well that is another bugbear!!!! high in salt and sugar......isn't it frightening that we need food to live and keep us healthy (?) yet almost everything including organic or GM free has possible health risks.
              ***bLuE-sKyE***

Comment

P.S.

I am going to check splenda on the net and see what they have to say......
                ***bLuE-sKyE***

Comment

Working...
                X