Scots are an unhealthy race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scots are an unhealthy race

Having worked as an Englishman in Edinburgh, I have found that most Scots consider chips and deep-fried pizza the ultimate in culinary delight, scream abuse at their children, and only seem truly content when unconscious from drink.

They belong to a nation defined by a common hate for the English, and they reassure themselves with tartans, bagpipes and a rewritten history where they did nothing but dance amongst the flowers, sing tedious music, and drink whisky.

No wonder we stereotype them on "The Bill" and "Taggart".

Andrew Cooke

andrew@acooke.org

http://www.acooke.org/andrew/writing/scots.html

Originally posted by acooke
    Having worked as an Englishman in Edinburgh, I have found that most Scots consider chips and deep-fried pizza the ultimate in culinary delight, scream abuse at their children, and only seem truly content when unconscious from drink.

They belong to a nation defined by a common hate for the English, and they reassure themselves with tartans, bagpipes and a rewritten history where they did nothing but dance amongst the flowers, sing tedious music, and drink whisky.

Andrew Cooke

andrew@acooke.org

Andrew, are you trying to spark a flood of messages screaming abuse at you for your own personal amusement by posting the same bigoted messages in every forum topic? Do you frequent any English cultural websites? Is this your first visit to Scotland.com? Answers on a postcard everyone.

Please see the "History" Section for more of the same stimulating stuff.

Comment

First of all ....................

Originally posted by acooke

Andrew Cooke

andrew@acooke.org

The Scots are some of the healthiest people alive, second you are misinformed as far as the history is concerned where the English is concerned they might as well been Hitler to the Scots, then when the Scots took a stand you will also try to remember we kicked the Englishs' a#$.
      But someone with your intellect would not know that. Right?

O si yo & Tiaraidh an dr'asda
      Chemuhk/Lisa
      A Proud Cherokee/ Scot

Comment

Andrew,

I don't know what sort of job you did in Edinburgh. But I know jobs can suck. But you really shouldn't try to let all your stress and frustration out here, insulting about 5 million people and their friends and relatives around the world.

You should remember that Fish and Chips was an English invention and I do not know if that's much better than pizza. And by the way, I know the sort of people you describe (though really exaggerated, I think) from hospital and social work in Germany. Drunkards and fast-food-junks can be found in every place around the world, even in neat London town. So do not make a picture of the Scots just from a few bad examples. Alcohol abuse and nutritional disasters are worldwide problems and we all are aware of it I think.

And the Scots do have more to offer than songs and whisky. Even your "Bank of England" was founded by a Scot, William Paterson of Dumfries. Not to speak of English industrialization. Where would have been without the steam engine of James Watt from Greenock. And if you are too frustrated to bear in any longer, just take a breechloading rifle and make an end. But remember it was invented by a member of Clan Ferguson. ;0)

So you better calm down and have a dram of good Scottish whisky and think once more of what you said. You should not blame the Scots of harbouring in their hearts a hate for the English (which is not generally true) and kindle the same hate by what you post here.
        "Wherever the spirit of Montrose may lead me"

Comment

Just an example or two

The "English" Breakfast marmalade was invented by a Scotswoman Lol, and Where exactly would you be without Tarmac -- aka Tarmacadam, or for that matter Dunlop Tyres - the first Pneumatic Tyres?????

Lol Scotland's full of inventors!!!

Comment

Re: Just an example or two

Originally posted by White-Tiger
            The "English" Breakfast marmalade was invented by a Scotswoman Lol, and Where exactly would you be without Tarmac -- aka Tarmacadam, or for that matter Dunlop Tyres - the first Pneumatic Tyres?????

Lol Scotland's full of inventors!!!
            Well spoken, Whitetiger (or well roared? LOL)
            I think Andrew has already given up, hehehe!

Comment

Hi guys

I think I scared im away, read my post to him under Geneology, then if you want to see how pathetic he is read his web page.
              O si yo & Tiaraidh an dr'asda
              Chemuhk/Lisa
              A Proud Cherokee/ Scot

Comment

Re: Hi guys

Originally posted by Chemuhk
                I think I scared im away, read my post to him under Geneology, then if you want to see how pathetic he is read his web page.
                Well, maybe I had my share, too. I do at least hope so. I threatened him with a penal process, announing to bring a charge against him because of the stuff he posted here...

His website is a good sort of diet: it makes my food say goodbye to my stomach, hehehehe!

Comment

Scots are an unhealthy race

Well, I think I'll add my two cents.

I think acooke had a couple of good points to make. The Scottish diet is one of the worst in the world, if not the worst. Heart disease is a very big problem here, we can thank our viking genes for that. Alcoholism is a problem too, we have that in common with the Scandinavian countries, but they eat a healthier diet and exercise more.

You're quite correct to point out that this is not a problem unique to Scotland, but where on this earth is it worse?

Iain

Comment

Re: Scots are an unhealthy race

Originally posted by IainDiamond

Well, I think I'll add my two cents.

I think acooke had a couple of good points to make. The Scottish diet is one of the worst in the world, if not the worst. Heart disease is a very big problem here, we can thank our viking genes for that. Alcoholism is a problem too, we have that in common with the Scandinavian countries, but they eat a healthier diet and exercise more.

You're quite correct to point out that this is not a problem unique to Scotland, but where on this earth is it worse?

Iain
                    I think you only must open your eyes to find similar problems throughout the world. In Germany they are already offering courses for grown up people (even big economy bosses go there) to teach the people how things taste. They have so terrible nutrition habits that they cannot even tell the difference between bitter and salty... I think it is rather a problem of our society than of a nation. Especially old people are suffering from malnutrition in Germany - because they are alone and do not want to eat alone, so they eat a pizza or anything like that or they eat nothing. They do not care how it tastes. They suffer from being alone. The same with singles. Or have a look at the children. Parents working hard to earn the living, not having enough time to cook for or with their children. How shall they learn what is good for them if the parents have no time? Change society and you will change the status of health and nutrition. Alcohol? The same. Okay, you will always find a few drunkards. But there are many people who drink because they are not able to cope with their troubles. Hard job, expensive life, no partner... So many reasons for drinking!

So don´t make this appear a Scottish problem. I can tell you it is not so. I could show you places in Germany, Italy and Poland that you would not even dare to imagine. Any streetworker (social worker) could do so, in every big city of Europe.

I think what people need is a sort of social safety and a bit more time for one another. And good food should be affordable. I love fish and it is very healthy. But fish is terribly expensive. Well, if I eat pizza, I bake my own one with fresh ingredients. But if you add the costs of all the ingredients, not to talk of the time you need, it costs as much as about 15 deep fried pizzas. Think it over...

Comment

open your eyes

I agree with your point about there being a problem in other parts of the world. There is serious problem in the developed world with eating complete rubbish which rapidly leads to early heart attacks and strokes. There's no getting away from the fact.

What I'm saying in that Scotland is the heart-attack capital of the world, what with its poor record on nutrition and exercise. You say "Don't make this appear a Scottish problem". Are we just going to stick our heads in the sand and wish it all away. It is a really big problem here and people should realize that what we eat, drink and do with our bodies effects the quality, and to the length of our lives.

Look at the list of ingredients in shortbread, then think about what it does to you arteries for a second. And we sell this stuff as traditional fare.

Comment

Re: open your eyes

Now, wait a second!

Shortbread is not a bad thing. From time to time. And whisky does not do any harm: If you do not restrict your diet to consist ONLY or TO A GREAT EXTENT of it. (I love shortbread. Once a month. At least it does not contain any chemical colourants or preservatives which cause severe allergies with me.)

The mixture is what counts. There´s no harm in a pizza or a wee dram. From time to time.

And I still think it is a social problem. And a problem of lack of movement. In former times, people did eat much more fat and maybe even drank more alcohol. But they worked harder (physically) and moved whilst working. And they had a different kind of stress. Our time is too hasty! Heart attack is not only a problem of nutrition, it is a question of quality of life, which begins in social conditions. Stress at work is a hard thing everybody knows. So a human being needs a kind of "backing" from friends and family, communicate and all that. In a population that consists of so many singles? And there is TV, radio, video. People just cannot calm down the way they could in former times.

I have some experience in Cardiology and I have learnt that the nutrition is but one stone in this ruinous building. There are many other factors.

For instance the way food is produced nowadays. Many preservatives can make the blood pressure rise and thus endanger the heart greatly. And others cause stomach cancer. And the crop on the field is almost suffocated in chemicals so that no insect will touch them: You´ll eat that, even in your healthy wholegrain bread! The medicine they give the cows, pigs and hens, the hormons and all that: It influences your health, too.

And by the way, no attack, no demotivation in this, for I understand your concern for your people´s health and I highly appreciate it: Berlin and Stockholm do claim too, to be the capital of heart attack. Maybe they do it in order to shock the people and make them wake up, which would be a good strategy. Better than the cool TV-adds on modern, just-in-time-life with its Coke, burgers and pizza.

Comment

I particularly like your point about insect repellent. It makes a lot of sense. If bugs won't eat it, then why the heck should we?

As you said nutrition is one area important to a healthy heart what other areas do you consider important?

Comment

Originally posted by IainDiamond

I particularly like your point about insect repellent. It makes a lot of sense. If bugs won't eat it, then why the heck should we?

As you said nutrition is one area important to a healthy heart what other areas do you consider important?
                            1. A coordinated life that allows you to get away from stress from time to time. If you cannot relax, your body is under constant stress, which produces adrenaline, endothelene and other factors that do damage your body if they are produced constantly (high blood pressure, damage of blood vessels etc.)

2. A family or good friends you could talk to when you are in trouble, so that you don't swallow all your problems. If you keep it all to yourself you have stress, too.

3. Regular sleep.

4. You need to drink enough! Heart attack can also be caused by dehydration!

I think there is much more.
                            By the way, if you don't like shortbread, try oatcakes! Wholegrain oatcakes! Tasty and healthy...,

Comment

the post at the top of this thread, in my name, was done without my knowledge. for more information, please see http://www.acooke.org/andrew/writing/scots.html#abuse

thanks, andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X