No announcement yet.

Scots are an unhealthy race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well the thread *did* start off with a nasty tone (a very long time ago, btw) but it cannot be denied that we do have a high rate of heart disease in Scotland.

Vanora, if your reply is really directed at the original poster who started this thread, well, don't worry - he left a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Celyn
      Well the thread *did* start off with a nasty tone (a very long time ago, btw) but it cannot be denied that we do have a high rate of heart disease in Scotland.

Vanora, if your reply is really directed at the original poster who started this thread, well, don't worry - he left a long time ago.
      Celyn.. I've heard that the Heart Disease is higher. Why do you think?

I know there is also many a report that states that Americans are the Fattest country.. i.e.: bad eating habits as far as fast food and all that.. However, I read a rather interesting article about all that..

It was a book actually that goes into a lot of Governmental Issues that might be causing the health/overweight problems in America. From all the Hormones in our milk, to the steroids they give our animals.. etc.. The fluoride in our water.. The list was endless.. And quite honestly way to difficult to follow..

But as far as statistics go, I wouldn’t know.

What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by ILuvScotland333
        And they love to throw in lots of lumps of sugar in their tea, with cream.
        Nobody, not even the English, put CREAM in their tea!

Comment

I have cream in coffee

No milk in tea as I only drink Green Tea

I don't even have sugar in drinks !!

Comment

Just out of curiosity, how DO the English and Scots drink their tea? Tea isn't one of my favorite beverages, unless it's iced with lemon flavoring in it. Certain herbal teas are rather good, esp. with a bit of honey added. Am not a coffee-drinker at all, though. Sometimes one of the doctors at our office will swing by Starbucks and get one for each of us. Fortunately, they've always made mine a mocha with whipped cream, so the chocolate in it makes it bearable.
            As the stars in their vast orbits, God's timing knows neither haste nor delay.

Comment

Tea making

First bring a kettle to the boiling point. Put a little in the pot and swirl that hot water round before pouring it away (this is called 'warming the pot'). Put kettle back to bring back to boiling point. Put either loose tea or teabags in the pot, allowing one teaspoon per person plus 'one for the pot'. Pour the boiling water on the tealeaves, teabags. Leave for a few minutes to 'brew'. Then pour. There is often disagreement whether the tea should go in before the milk, or after. I have never noticed the difference. Add sugar if required.

If I'm drinking Earl Grey or a Chinese tea, I do not add milk or sugar.

Or you could do what a lot of people do nowadays (although I don't)

Boil kettle. Put tea-bag in a mug. When kettle boils, pour boiling water onto the teabag. Dunk teabag until tea is required strength. Add milk and/or sugar if required.

Comment

I always put the milk in first.

Had to laugh tonight watching EastEnders, when Peggy was telling Pat off for doing it that way!
                'all our plans were made on streets the winter paved, as streetlamp lucozade orange fell...'

Comment

Me, too.... we are so COMMON!

Comment

... as muck!
                    'all our plans were made on streets the winter paved, as streetlamp lucozade orange fell...'

Comment

Fried...

Pizza...

Comment

Originally posted by Varangian
                        Fried...

Pizza...

absolute stodge heaven!!

Comment

Fried pizza followed by fried Mars Bar - main course and pudding - perfectly balanced meal.

Comment

My idea of a balanced diet is a cookie in each hand. Actually, I do eat healthier than that, but it's nice to dream, isn't it????
                            As the stars in their vast orbits, God's timing knows neither haste nor delay.

Comment

Originally posted by WeeButtons
                              Celyn.. I've heard that the Heart Disease is higher. Why do you think?

I know there is also many a report that states that Americans are the Fattest country.. i.e.: bad eating habits as far as fast food and all that.. However, I read a rather interesting article about all that..

It was a book actually that goes into a lot of Governmental Issues that might be causing the health/overweight problems in America. From all the Hormones in our milk, to the steroids they give our animals.. etc.. The fluoride in our water.. The list was endless.. And quite honestly way to difficult to follow..

But as far as statistics go, I wouldn’t know.

What do you think?
                              It would be difficult to deny that Americans on the whole eat too much meat, white flours, sugar and junk, and that they exercise far too little. But like anywhere it varies. I live in a community where many people buy organic produce, eat more vegetables, beans and whole grains, and if they don't have a physical job, they make the effort to exercise. But in this area you also see some people with very different habits! For instance you see some kids that are HUGE! Their parents feed them Fruit Loops for breakfast (a high sugar white flour cereal), give them no restrictions on candies and sweets, they go through cases of sodapop every week, feed them hot dogs and chips for lunch, who knows what for dinner, eat "out" at McDonalds, and park their kids in front of the television. That's a recipe for disaster! And to me it is heart breaking to see a 9 year old child who weighs as much as I do!

I think WeeButtons that it is possible that hormones in milk, etc. contribute, but i think if it does it's a drop in the bucket!!! The main problem is eating
                              high glycemic index foods and not exercising.

Though i have nothing but accusations and venom for the evil of the U.S. Food & Drug Administration, I don't think (wherever we are) we should put too much blame on government agencies and agribuisiness and use that as an excuse to be fat or unhealthy. Every individual has choices available to them that deeply impact their weight and overall health, and we should start there, where we can do something!

....so just put down the chips, and walk away.... no, better yet, RUN!

Comment

Working...
                              X