No announcement yet.

Scots are an unhealthy race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, faith and meditation are really helpful, they can help us endure hardship and control our temper.

People who have no passion, neither in work, nor faith nor emotions are not so often struck by heart attacks. They don't have no passion for food either, they just can't enjoy life, that's why they have to cope with it a little longer than those who taste life with all it has to offer.

I think being a little more contented could help against heart problems, too.
    "Wherever the spirit of Montrose may lead me"

Comment

i think being more contented with life is probably closer to the mark... my ex tried to stopper up his negative emotions, he did not have a passion for food or for life and always tried to keep even habits, emotions, and little variety, and i think that was part of the trouble that led to his quite serious heart attack. I guess he did have passions though he certainly did not seem to at all until the end when he started having rages. Do you think maybe it's that positive passions are okay but negative passions strain the heart?

Comment

Originally posted by holly_on_the_move
        i think being more contented with life is probably closer to the mark... my ex tried to stopper up his negative emotions, he did not have a passion for food or for life and always tried to keep even habits, emotions, and little variety, and i think that was part of the trouble that led to his quite serious heart attack. I guess he did have passions though he certainly did not seem to at all until the end when he started having rages. Do you think maybe it's that positive passions are okay but negative passions strain the heart?
        Well, negative passions can even drive you mad. Blind hate, being obsessed by greed or revenge, it's like worms that gnaw at your heart. Things that give you no peace or happiness, as positive passions do, but steal your sleep and inner peace will sooner or later affect the heart.
        "Wherever the spirit of Montrose may lead me"

Comment

This post was/is interesting. Did you know tht pizza CAN be healthy, and that is because pizza generally has a large helping of tomato sauce. Tomatoes have the nutrient licopene. If the tomatoes used are Organic/grown without the use of pesticides, they will contain even more of their nutrients. I think everyone needs to make a conscious decision and effort to eat more healthfully; with all the convenient foods available now, this is not always easy...

Comment

Originally posted by Texasmujer
            This post was/is interesting. Did you know tht pizza CAN be healthy, and that is because pizza generally has a large helping of tomato sauce. Tomatoes have the nutrient licopene. If the tomatoes used are Organic/grown without the use of pesticides, they will contain even more of their nutrients. I think everyone needs to make a conscious decision and effort to eat more healthfully; with all the convenient foods available now, this is not always easy...

so why am i fat from it then!
            LOL!

WLMDO?

Comment

Maddog maybe you eat too much after 8 p.m. ?

Comment

I work till 8.30 pm every night!
                WLMDO?

Comment

Nutrition & Costs involved

Well, thought I would put my comments on this one. I grew up in London England (yes, I remember lots of fish & chips), then Germany (we had our own vegetable garden, so it is not the same), and now in Canada where produce is much cheaper than in UK. I recently visited Scotland (2 yrs ago to meet family), and their health is not at optimum levels...due to many factors. It is cheaper to buy from Fast food than it is to buy fresh ingredients. It is also less time consuming to buy already prepared meals.
                  Regardless of the country you are in...when fresh foods w/vital nutrients are more expensive than the garbage that gets put into already prepared foods (ie McDonalds etc) and where our time inhibits us....it is pretty sad.

Comment

That is SO TRUE. It's amazing that a person has to spend MORE money to be healthier than otherwise. This is frustrating...

Comment

Re: Nutrition & Costs involved

Originally posted by LilyMacRae
                      ........... It is cheaper to buy from Fast food than it is to buy fresh ingredients. It is also less time consuming to buy already prepared meals.....
                      I'm not sure I agree that it is cheaper, although I agree that occasionallly something ready made is better4 than cooking for ages, then finding I am too bored with it to eat the food!

Comment

Oh, Celyn...I'm NEVER too bored to eat!! Sad, maybe, but NOT bored,,,that just makes me eat more!!

Comment

Bravo, HollyElise! Bingo!!! You're absolutely right in that we all have choices to make. Honestly, I think most every culture in the world has unhealthy aspects to its cuisine, even Oriental food. Anyone eaten any eels lately, folks? Ugh! Gag me with an entire place setting!

Germany has its beer and sausage.....
                          Scandinavia has its very high-fat foods and cookies, blood
                          sausages, and the like (used to have a Swedish neighbor
                          and I borrowed her cookbook for a while. Was a real
                          eye-opener)
                          Italy has all its pasta
                          America with its burgers, fries, shakes, pizza, chips,
                          high-sugar foods, sodas, etc.

The list could go on and on.

About the only cuisine I really know much about that, overall, is generally healthy, is the Mediterranean diet, although I'm sure that that, too, has its unhealthy aspects, as well.

Unfortunately, it seems like the healthy food is the most expensive, which is a real drag. And, if you don't have a garden of your own, it can be difficult to eat healthfully.

But, like someone else said (and it might even have been you, HollyElise), diet isn't the only aspect to a healthy overall life. Lowering stress levels where possible, getting adequate rest, drinking plenty of water (and then milk and juices), perhaps alcohol in moderation (although I'm a tee-totaler), getting adequate exercise, and, although this may unintentionally offend some people, trust in God. It's an overall lifestyle and outlook on life, diet being merely one aspect of it, and merely ascribing unhealthful living to certain peoples and nationalities, and pegging the Scots as unhealthy winebibbers (although not stated quite so frankly, perhaps) is very bigoted. I know someone who lived in California for years who knew a number of Scots, and she said they were all very polite, friendly, and proper; didn't mention a thing about being drunkards or anything.

So, maybe we can just discuss things without any derogatory name-calling or labeling people. I just love this forum; please, let's not ruin it by downgrading other people.

As the stars in their vast orbits, God's timing knows neither haste nor delay.

Comment

Ironic, isn't it, that this thread was started by an (gasp) English person.

Yes, let's talk about ENGLISH food, shall we? Fish & chips, deep fried and nice & greasy. And they love to throw in lots of lumps of sugar in their tea, with cream. Mmmmmm, nutritious. I find European food - in general - to be a bit on the "rich" side, but the food I ate while in Scotland was so delicious. And, yes, I love haggis. None of my fellow Americans can comprehend that, but I keep telling them that it's wonderful.

So, lighten up, chap. There's plenty of McDonald's & Pizza Huts in London.

Cheers
                            Jean

Comment

um... guys.... ?

Though culture slamming certainly happens on this board and elsewhere, i think some of the "acusation" of Scots being an "unhealthy race" was based on reports that the Scots have one of the world's highest rates of heart disease. (...wow... i don't think i can spell today, LOL!... everything "doesn't look right").

...anyway, it's interesting how over-simplifications and generalizations can twist facts into bigotry.

I'm interested in learning how Scots are trying to deal with heart disease and other health issues.... anyone know?

Comment

unhealthy my butt

How can you say something like that? if you have such a problem with the scots why bother being on here? us scots are proud of everything we are, and your comments are rude. no one goes around saying anything nasty about where you come from. as a scot i have a bad temper, and you insult me and my family. would you like people that came into your land and took over your people? everyone is different, try to be a little nicer and people might be a little nicer to you. i am damn proud of who i am and the family i come from.
                                "mea gloria fides"

Comment

Working...
                                X