No announcement yet.

Scots are an unhealthy race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoever made this thread, it made us think and discuss. Health needs conscience, discussion can strengthen this.
    "Wherever the spirit of Montrose may lead me"

Comment

in reply to the stupid englishman!!!!!!!!!
      not all scots are drunks i have seen more englishmen with big fat beer bellies than scotsmen,they are the ones with the repution of being lager louts not the scots,just look at the england supporters abroad they are the ones with the bad reputation not the scots who are thought more highly of abroad than the english.
      as for the english diet of curries,kebabs etc what is more unhealthy you don't know what the asians give you .
      also most of the every day items you use were invented by the scots,examples the phone,the steam engine,do you want me to go on even your bank of england was started by a scotsman.so where do you get off slagging the scots,you are nothing but a bigot and a racist and it is about time you grew up and realized that not all scots are like you think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

psycho

Originally posted by psychco
        in reply to the stupid englishman!!!!!!!!!
        not all scots are drunks i have seen more englishmen with big fat beer bellies than scotsmen,they are the ones with the repution of being lager louts not the scots,just look at the england supporters abroad they are the ones with the bad reputation not the scots who are thought more highly of abroad than the english.
        as for the english diet of curries,kebabs etc what is more unhealthy you don't know what the asians give you .
        also most of the every day items you use were invented by the scots,examples the phone,the steam engine,do you want me to go on even your bank of england was started by a scotsman.so where do you get off slagging the scots,you are nothing but a bigot and a racist and it is about time you grew up and realized that not all scots are like you think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        are you a Nazi? The comment about asians was a bit over the top was it not

Comment

i agree. there is no call for that.

and i completely don't understand why a few Scotland-hating individuals find it so necessary to trouble themselves to come to this site when they could just happily go about their business elsewhere unbothered by things Scottish and let us get on with ours.

it isn't productive to argue who has the worst diet or the worst drinking habits in this fashion. More productive would be figuring out how to help people with poor health habits make improvement, regardless of their nationality.

My own habits are certainly not perfect, but i have improved steadily over the years and the gap between my good health and the poor health of many of my piers is obviously widening.

I think weight training probably has had the largest positive effect on my health. I am slimmer than my piers and have a lot more energy and look younger. It really takes a very little bit of time to reap huge benefits. I probably put in 15 minutes or less a day.

I do aerobic exercise too... walking or biking, but i just think of that as fun. If i could only do weight training or aerobics, i think the weight training would be better for my health.

I love chocolates and cream and butter and barbequed ribs and other sugary or fatty foods, but i've learned to scale back and go for quality, not quantity. The bulk of my diet has shifted to focus around whole grains, vegetables and fruit. I never would have thought as a teenager that i ever would be enjoying eating healthy foods but i've just kept trying things until i find what i like and now there is a lot that i like. WHole grains, vegetables and fruit are also the best sources for vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals.

And i think water is another biggie in how i improved my health. Our bodies are mostly water and we need water for most of the functions of our body. When we are partially dehydrated our bodies become challenged in fighting off disease, eliminating waste and toxins, making new cells and more blood and tissues.

What do the rest of you think are the most important healthy habits to have? What works for you?

Comment

Hollyelise.......

I am visiting a physio twice daily, as I tore a muscle in my thigh quite badly. She has told me that the more developed your muscle is i.e. harder. the more likely you are to get problems with tears etc. Weight training puts a lot of strain on your muscles, I hope you use light weights with high reps rahter than the other way round.

Comment

Thank you for your suggestion, but no i do not because the benefits of muscle mass on health far, far, outweighs the risk or seriousness of the potential problems. Also the chances of getting tears and injuries can be greatly minimized with variety, a good stretching routine, and attention to good form.

As far as injuries go, they have found that runners who run above 10 miles a week greatly increase their chances of injury well beyond proportion to the miles. There is an exponential curve to injury.

Poor muscle mass on the other hand increases risk of obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes and insulin resistance, gallblader disease, kidney disease, liver disease, heart disease, many types of cancer, arthritis, osteoperosis, low bone density and increased risk of breakage from falling, etc, and many other diseases (Prevention Magazine, 8 Minutes in the Morning, and other sources). The negative consequences of low muscle mass as we age is HUGE. Casually look around you at the people over 65 and note who is active and fairly healthy and who is not or is feable and note their muscle mass. What were their habits? Did they have low activity, maintain their health only with low-impact exercise like walking, or did they have activities that built muscle mass? It won't be exact, but i think you will see an obvious correlation between muscle mass and the likelyhood of continued health. Statistics clearly indicate this as well.

The technique of low weights and many reps is hugely disadvantaged for building muscle mass because it is the challenge to the muscle and the "burn" of breaking down the muscle that causes the body to reinforce that muscle with additional muscle tissue. This is a natural process. If you need it, your body will try to make more, if you don't challenge it and don't need it, it will try to conserve.

Anyone can overdo it and many weight training buffs do. But these are usually the kinds of people who spend 45 minutes or more at a weight training session, and often do not have adequate stretching. I'm talking about 8 to 15 minutes and rotating muscles. This gets back to that curve of increased injury from working out too long.

I'm not contesting that Psycho is right, but i think perhaps psycho's perspective is very different because he or she (sorry, don't know) is not seeing hypertension, heart disease, joint replacement due to low bone density and the host of other patients that are having serious health problems because they failed to maintain their conditioning.

Comment

My apologies. You didn't say psycho you said physio... LOL! ...well, it keeps me humble!

Comment

Well I am

glad I made that statement Holly

Comment

It's so very difficult sorting out health advice, isn't it?

There is a bewildering array of differing opinions from the experts, and some advice seems to come in and fall out of fashion.

Here's an interesting little tidbit... I just learned that in the average population, cancer strikes one in three over their lifetime, but among athletes it only strikes one in seven.

Comment

And thank you Marti. Just because i'm not choosing to follow that advice doesn't mean your suggestion wasn't considered and appreciated.

Comment

Scots are an unhealthy lot

Dear acooke...So sorry you have such a poor opinion of the Scots. I'm sure that in all races there are a number of bad apples. However, on the brighter side, we do have wonderful National Dances and wonderful old Scottish tunes to be heard around the world. At least we are famous for a few good things...remember Lord Kelvin and Andrew Carnegie? On the other hand I believe the Sassenachs ( English) have little or no respect with their arrogant manners. Why would you ever go to Edinburgh for work anyway...what type of work did you perform?

Anyway try to be happy for the experience you had living in God's Country at least for a little while.....Eviemacky

Comment

I think what they were referring to is Scotland has the second highest rate of heart disease per capita in the world, second only to Finland.

Does this mean we can't eat a steady diet of deep-fried pizza?

Comment

Originally posted by HollyElise
                            I think what they were referring to is Scotland has the second highest rate of heart disease per capita in the world, second only to Finland.

Maybe it's rather the turbulent political discussions and the passionate way of seeing/defending things that weakens the heart?
                            "Wherever the spirit of Montrose may lead me"

Comment

Non Sweetie, I think it is more the frustrations in life and the despair that creeps in because of it that does it-our faith in our ideals warring against our doubts deep inside about our ideals.... I once was told by a medicine lady that true conviction -the one (s) that came from deep truths that make one come off our moccasins from the depth of the deepest conviction in our souls, that is the one that is the right path for us, that are the Force in us, if we act half heartedly then it is saying we do not believe it wholly and should not say it. If we say it with that warring going on within then to use our terms it is a lack of faith and therefore a sin for us. She put it the Native way but it meant the above, it has the same result. So most of us are searching in our quarrels lol! and we are not sure -totally- many times when we blast out our beliefs....we must have meditation time to connect with ourselves, when we go against our deeper self..we get sick, we die. I don't know, but somehow that analogy struck a chord in my celtic self. Our ancient belief centered on- what is truth? When we don't pay attention to our inner truth or have doubts..then we become divided against ourselves and one half of us sets out to kill the other half? Like corpuscles warring over a bad thought/ doubtful thought virus?..... The Pagan and the God believer have something in common here...Faith is what makes great things....building faith by finding truth then living truth and being truth in all our ways..acting out of 100 % conviction ......will that make us healthy in spite of pizza?

Maybe it's rather the turbulent political discussions and the passionate way of seeing/defending things that weakens the heart? [/B][/QUOTE]
                              What is the use of intelligence when one lacks compassion for the life around oneself? And what is the point of beauty, when one's heart isn't one's loveliest feature?

Comment

Originally posted by jacobitedreamer
                                Originally posted by HollyElise

Maybe it's rather the turbulent political discussions and the passionate way of seeing/defending things that weakens the heart?
                                I think you're spot-on with that! It's what cardiologists call "Type A Personality."

Comment

Working...
                                X