Scots are an unhealthy race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by acooke
    the post at the top of this thread, in my name, was done without my knowledge. for more information, please see http://www.acooke.org/andrew/writing/scots.html#abuse

thanks, andrew
    Funny enough! So all folks be careful with emails now! Well, I have had to get my safety level to "red alert" ever since I joined Scotland.com because I got bombarded with bugs, worms and viruses... That's a nasty thing. Seems like there are people who don't want others to chat and make friends the virtual way...

Well, well. So you didn't want to insult the Scots in general, Andrew? And the original note - did you make it in order to analyze your experiences in Scotland. Still sounds as if the Scots would feed on English blood and pizza...

Just a trick: After the first great attack, I had a SyQuest drive installed on my computer. I don't know if you know them. There are disks, having the capacity of a hard disk, which you can remove from the drive before using the internet. I have all my personal data, research work and poetry on such a disk and so they can crack codes and access my computer, but the data is safe and nobody can abuse it. What do you think of that?
    "Wherever the spirit of Montrose may lead me"

Comment

So delete the Thread Then!
      Willie

Comment

Try

Try Canada and America...Burger King, McDonalds..it's because people work long hours and fast food is faster and easier...for alot of people those long hours are spent at desks in big Corporations...refined food=fatter people and blood sugar problems....stress...look outside..scary world..causes smokers and drinkers to keep smokin' and drinking ....stress cuts back our immune systems....oh we could write books....any good desk exercises that don't make one look like a moron?

You're quite correct to point out that this is not a problem unique to Scotland, but where on this earth is it worse?

Iain [/B][/QUOTE]
        What is the use of intelligence when one lacks compassion for the life around oneself? And what is the point of beauty, when one's heart isn't one's loveliest feature?

Comment

Re: Try

Originally posted by wild-in-tent
          Try Canada and America...Burger King, McDonalds..it's because people work long hours and fast food is faster and easier...for alot of people those long hours are spent at desks in big Corporations...refined food=fatter people and blood sugar problems....stress...look outside..scary world..causes smokers and drinkers to keep smokin' and drinking ....stress cuts back our immune systems....oh we could write books....any good desk exercises that don't make one look like a moron?

You're quite correct to point out that this is not a problem unique to Scotland, but where on this earth is it worse?

Iain
          [/B][/QUOTE]

Germany? More and more parents here, although they are at home and without a job, rather give their kids money for McDonalds than to cook for them. Or they just send them off to the playground without a bite to eat.
          It is not the country you live in, it's the social cirumstances that are the same whereever you go in Europe. Stress, social conflicts, being "cool" eating at McDonalds.

Comment

Costs

Those Germans are mighty good cooks...I run past those guys or I wouldn't have a waist! But Burgers in Japan and Russia are just a tad expensive...that's not fast food! That's fast bankruptcy!

Germany?
            being "cool" eating at McDonalds. [/B][/QUOTE]
            What is the use of intelligence when one lacks compassion for the life around oneself? And what is the point of beauty, when one's heart isn't one's loveliest feature?

Comment

Among the growing up kids, eating at MacDonalds is associated with being special, cool. It's attractive for them, they feel "grown up" there and it gives them a feeling of freedom. I don't know why, maybe it's the advertising of MacDonalds here or because it is so "Modern American"...

Did you really come across good German cooks? Are you sure they were not from Austria? LOL

Comment

I find Mr Cooke's views very interesting. I have lived in the Midlands of England since 1981. (Nottingham to be precise). I am a Scot. However, I have suffered personal abuse because people in Nottingham often mistake Scottish accents for Irish ones. Sometimes I suffered personal comments because I was in fact Scottish. My own Grandfather endured comments of a derogatory nature because he was from the North East of England!

To be frank I could generalise and edit his email to describe the folks of this fair City of Nottingham. To be honest his comments could be used to describe an ordinary Saturday night in most towns of the middle of England, with appropriate amendments.

Has he forgotten the love of fish and chips, mashed tatties, mushy peas (and in some places jellied eels) etc.

Has he forgotten that you will pass many a parent shouting at their children. Often the children seem to reply with a four letter word of one kind or another?

Mr Cooke cannot surely be so critical of the splinter in Scotland's eye, when he cannot obviously see the huge trunk in his homeland's eye. I do not pretend that Scotland (my birth place) is free of its prejudices. So I would expect that Mr Cooke should appreciate the shortcomings of his own homeland.

Has Mr Cooke forgotten or overlooked the anti-Scottish editorials of the London edition of the Daily Mail? Has he overlooked the anti-European ravings of 'The Sun'. Both papers with wide readership down here?

Comment

Re: Scots are an unhealthy race

Originally posted by IainDiamond

Well, I think I'll add my two cents.

I think acooke had a couple of good points to make. The Scottish diet is one of the worst in the world, if not the worst. Heart disease is a very big problem here, we can thank our viking genes for that. Alcoholism is a problem too, we have that in common with the Scandinavian countries, but they eat a healthier diet and exercise more.

Iain
                  You want to know where on earth it is worse, try America.
                  O si yo & Tiaraidh an dr'asda
                  Chemuhk/Lisa
                  A Proud Cherokee/ Scot

Comment

Re: open your eyes

Originally posted by IainDiamond
                    I agree with your point about there being a problem in other parts of the world. There is serious problem in the developed world with eating complete rubbish which rapidly leads to early heart attacks and strokes. There's no getting away from the fact.

What I'm saying in that Scotland is the heart-attack capital of the world, what with its poor record on nutrition and exercise. You say "Don't make this appear a Scottish problem". Are we just going to stick our heads in the sand and wish it all away. It is a really big problem here and people should realize that what we eat, drink and do with our bodies effects the quality, and to the length of our lives.

Look at the list of ingredients in shortbread, then think about what it does to you arteries for a second. And we sell this stuff as traditional fare.

Do you live in Scotland? If not why is it such a big concern of yours what they eat?
                    O si yo & Tiaraidh an dr'asda
                    Chemuhk/Lisa
                    A Proud Cherokee/ Scot

Comment

Originally posted by William_Hook
                      I find Mr Cooke's views very interesting. I have lived in the Midlands of England since 1981. (Nottingham to be precise). I am a Scot. However, I have suffered personal abuse because people in Nottingham often mistake Scottish accents for Irish ones. Sometimes I suffered personal comments because I was in fact Scottish. My own Grandfather endured comments of a derogatory nature because he was from the North East of England!

To be frank I could generalise and edit his email to describe the folks of this fair City of Nottingham. To be honest his comments could be used to describe an ordinary Saturday night in most towns of the middle of England, with appropriate amendments.

Has he forgotten the love of fish and chips, mashed tatties, mushy peas (and in some places jellied eels) etc.

Has he forgotten that you will pass many a parent shouting at their children. Often the children seem to reply with a four letter word of one kind or another?

Mr Cooke cannot surely be so critical of the splinter in Scotland's eye, when he cannot obviously see the huge trunk in his homeland's eye. I do not pretend that Scotland (my birth place) is free of its prejudices. So I would expect that Mr Cooke should appreciate the shortcomings of his own homeland.

Has Mr Cooke forgotten or overlooked the anti-Scottish editorials of the London edition of the Daily Mail? Has he overlooked the anti-European ravings of 'The Sun'. Both papers with wide readership down here?

Fully agreed, it is not at all a Scottish problem. I live in Germany. Many children here suffer malnutrition, not because their parents are poor, but because they are too lazy to give their children a bite to eat. A deep-fried pizza or a burger would at least take the hunger away.

And shortbread and whisky can be a very good thing - a bit of it from time to time would never do any harm. And Scottish kitchen has great things to offer.

By the way, don't attack our Mr.Cooke too hard, he has not written this stuff by himself, it was placed here abusing his email address and alienating data from his computer.

Comment

The e-mail is more addressed to the other Mr Cooke who actually wrote the comments.

Comment

Alright, maybe it is time for an answer

Ok first of all, I do not believe one word of the original post and his claim at the end of false impersonation...I think it is a cowardly way of getting out of a situation in which he lost from the beginning.

Second, yes Scotland has its downside in foods and ways of life...but look at this >>> SO DOES EVERY OTHER COUNTRY IN THE WORLD! <<<

1)It is said that the United States of America has the WORST problem with obesity due to food related issues.

2)It is said that the United States of America is one of the most violent countries in the world due to corruption and gang activity.

3) United States employment has gone down dramatically due to corporate fraud and Union strikes...as of now, one of the worst economies (in stability statistics) in the world!

You see how easy it is for me to place blame on one country? Why don't all of you who shove the Scots in the back look at the whole picture? It is all stereotypes.

I am sure some of you look at a Scot and think he or she is an alcoholic, playing the bagpipes in a kilt while spinning around in circles for no apparent reason! To tell you the truth (and this may come as a surprise), most of the Scots are not like that. They are just as you and me are today. They are people.

I don't know, call me a moron but I think the people of Scotland should be treated better than they are, especially on their own site!

Cheers

Virtutis gloria merces!

"Glory is the Reward of Valor"

Clan Robertson

Comment

acooke

If you never registered a name on this site and you don't know who did this, then how did you gain access to that name?

I find it unlikely that you did not make these threads.

Comment

Re: acooke

Originally posted by ameri-scot
                              If you never registered a name on this site and you don't know who did this, then how did you gain access to that name?

I find it unlikely that you did not make these threads.
                              Now, it really sounds a bit weird, but a good hacker can do ANYTHING!!! So if he has got any well hacking-trained enemy, it could well be.

However, he brought us a great discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by acooke
                                the post at the top of this thread, in my name, was done without my knowledge. for more information, please see http://www.acooke.org/andrew/writing/scots.html#abuse

thanks, andrew
                                What the???? Did you guys read that? Is someone like, Multiple Personality Disorder, perhaps? I can't say i find "the real Cooke" to be much of an improvement over the old one!

It's been my experience that 95% of the time someone is bigotted, they have no idea they are! It's all "justified" somehow.

Anyway, I popped into this thread not expecting this kind of discussion, but i am interested in health, and it surprised me that it would be thought of that Scots on the whole are so unhealthy. I can't say as my perspective is accurate, but during my visit it seemed that Scots overall were in better physical condition than Americans, and i had no difficulty finding healthy food.

I have to say i don't think Scotland leads the way to poor health. In America, I live in perhaps the most overweight and out of shape nation in the world (we're not like you see on television!). We are also hands down the largest importer of recreational drugs. But I think whether Scotland or America or somewhere else "wins" the ultimate title of being an unhealthy nation with an unhealthy diet and unhealthy drinking problems, it is missing the point, because the "winner and all the runners up" really lose!

I think JacobiteDreamer was making a reference to this before, but in any nation there are choices a person can make about their own health. Just because fish&chips, shortbread, whiskey and stress are present, doesn't mean we need to indulge to excess. It's up to us. And i think encouraging an interest in healthy and delicious foods and enjoyable physical recreation is a good start.

What i wish i'd seen more of in this thread is mention of healthy alternatives, because there are plenty of ways of enjoying culture without letting it ruin your health. I've purchased for myself a cookbook called Scots Cooking, and for example i have made some Kail Brose from that cookbook and have it now in my fridge. It's a traditional recipe that is mostly Kale and beefstock with a little oatmeal in it as a thickener. It is pretty healthy and surprisingly tastey and satisfying!!! Kale is an amazingly healthy food, and i don't know if it originated in Scotland or Russia or where, but it certainly was very popularly eaten in Scotland in days gone by.

I think in most cultures the food gets healthier when you reach back to a time when people did more of their own cooking and relied on their gardens. Today, with food distribution, variety, sanitation, and better preservation, we actually have the potential for the healthiest diet in history.

Food that is highly processed, low on nutrition and high in fat, sugar, and cholesterol is a phenomenon on the increase the world over, but worst in industrialized nations. It is also a world phenomena that people are becoming more stressed and as they I required less to do physical labor, they are becoming out of shape.

But guys, we have choices! And i think people in general are starting to become clued in and fed up with the health problems that are resulting from our choices for fast food and lack of exercise. It's not easy to make healthy choices though... wherever we live we are surrounded by candybars and McDonald's, our work makes demands on us, we worry about money, and when we get home at night often we'd rather decompress than do something healthy. But it's our choice, and we can make healthier choices, and many people are.

So how do we support those healthier choices?

Jacobite said he believes much of it is the result of social stressors and that we need to fix those problems. Well i agree, but obviously those problems aren't easy to solve, and i think something that may be more immediately helpful is to improve and expand education about health, from preschool to attractive public service announcements for adults.

In America it seems both comical and tragic that our public schools are the biggest pushers of junk food and poor health practices. Soda vending machines fill the halls because a part of the income goes to support the athletic teams. School lunches typically consist of pizza, burgers and french fries, and green beans so overcooked they wouldn't know a vitamin if they saw it and no one wants to eat them because they are no longer green but gray. Until it was very recently outlawed, cigarette companies funded school sports teams in exchange for subtle advertising. Television is now in many schools, complete with advertising. And then lets talk about sex education... where you can't say anything to interest teenagers in the practical aspects of their health for fear of offending the moral majority. Something has got to be done to change this.

Comment

Working...
                                X