• Show
Clear All

• William Wallace

My Grandmother was Wallace.
    My Grandfather was Menzies.
    I am looking for relatives from both and any info
    on either one.

Wallaces

There might be a lot of Wallaces married to Menzies.. A bit more information from you might help, Have you any First names or dates or locations where they lived in Scotland. If so we may be of some help

Marhar
    PRO LIBERTATE

Comment

What little I have heard is that my grandfather, Means, is descendent of the Menzies of Scotland. The only name there I have heard is that of Sir Robert Gordon Menzies from Dumfries, Scotland. I do have a picture of him that hangs in the Menzies Castle.

Comment

A short rundown on the Menzies

MENZIES

Motto: With God I shall

Origin of name: Norman, de Meyners

The name Manners was adopted by a Norman family, who had taken the surname from the Dukes of Rutland. They resided in Mesnieres in Normandy.

A branch of the family settled in Lothian, and eventually they established themselves in the Highlands of Scotland. Here they were known first as de Meyneris, and then as Menzies.

In 1249, Sir Robert de Menzies became Chamberlain of Scotland.

The Menzies family settled in the earldom of Atholl. Alexander Menzies, Robertís son, acquired lands in the Strathtay area. Many families of this name still live in this area.

Alexander also obtained the Weem lands, however the Castle of Weem was not built for a further two centuries.

The Menzies lands were made into a barony in the sixteenth century, by James IV.

Not a lot of help but informative

Marhar

PRO LIBERTATE

Comment

Working...
        X