1811 Census : Farr, Sutherland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1811 Census : Farr, Sutherland

Hello there, Is there anyone who knows how to access the 1811 Census for Farr, Sutherland please? I have seen a reference to an entry within in so I am assuming it exists .....

I am looking for an Alexander MacKay bn c1760 and his wife Elizabeth (aka Betty/Betsey Nee Campbell. In 1811, the known children were:- Isabella bn c1798 Farr; George bn c1800 Farr; Murdoch bn c1805 Farr; and Robert bn 1808Farr/bap 24 July 1808 Newlands, Farr.

The family went to Orkney c1819 and they ended up on Flotta. There were 3more daughters born on Flotta:- Jessie c1820; Janet c1823; and Catherine c1826.

I'd just love to find them in the Farr 1811 Census .........
    Any help will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in anticipation Heather

re mckay or mckay

I also am trying to trace details of a family member married in approx 02.05.1796 henny mckay or mackay likewise in the newlands area, and indeed i am interested have you found a way in tthe farr census for 1911, look forward to hearing from you with any details that might point me in the correct direction. kind regards alec mackenzie

Comment

mckay or mackay

sorry i did mean the 1811 census kind regards

Comment

Hi, I have copies of the entire 1811 census for the parish of Farr. Would you like me to look for your ancestors ?

I should warn you that the 1811 census only includes the name of the head of the house hold, how many males and females were in his/her house, and whether they were employed in trade or agriculture.

It does not include ages, unfortunately.

I am currently on holiday but when I get home next week I will look up your ancestors if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by heatherannej View Post
          Hello there, Is there anyone who knows how to access the 1811 Census for Farr, Sutherland please? I have seen a reference to an entry within in so I am assuming it exists .....

I am looking for an Alexander MacKay bn c1760 and his wife Elizabeth (aka Betty/Betsey Nee Campbell. In 1811, the known children were:- Isabella bn c1798 Farr; George bn c1800 Farr; Murdoch bn c1805 Farr; and Robert bn 1808Farr/bap 24 July 1808 Newlands, Farr.

The family went to Orkney c1819 and they ended up on Flotta. There were 3more daughters born on Flotta:- Jessie c1820; Janet c1823; and Catherine c1826.

I'd just love to find them in the Farr 1811 Census .........
          Any help will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in anticipation Heather
          Hi do you mean that they were living in the village of Farr specifically or the parish of Farr in general - they are two different places - the parish of Farr and the village of Farr.

I have checked the 1811 census for the village of Farr and there is no Alexander Mckay.

You mentioned Newland but they only Mckay is a Neil Mckay on the census.

If they were in a different village in the parish of Farr then let me know and I will check for you.

Comment

Sorry I have made a mistake. There is an Alexander Mackay in Newlands, parish of Farr, in 1811.

Hi,

I have just checked the 1811 parish of Farr census and for the village of Newlands it only lists the following heads of households:

1. Eldy ? Mackay
            2. Anne MacDonald
            3. Niel Mackay
            4. James Gunn
            5. John Mackay
            6. William MacDonald
            7. John Mackay
            8. Margaret MacDonald
            9. Alexander Mackay
            10. Malcolm Mackay

The only other thing it lists is how many males and females were in each of the above people's house holds and whether the family was chiefly employed in agriculture or trade.

Comment

i am looking for a family mckenzie ie john mckenzie and heny mckenzie nee mackay in newlands around 1811 ish anyone with any advice would appreciate kind regards alec mackenzie

Comment

One of the John MacKays maybe my great x 3 grandfather

Originally posted by DreadGod View Post
                Sorry I have made a mistake. There is an Alexander Mackay in Newlands, parish of Farr, in 1811.

Hi,

I have just checked the 1811 parish of Farr census and for the village of Newlands it only lists the following heads of households:

1. Eldy ? Mackay
                2. Anne MacDonald
                3. Niel Mackay
                4. James Gunn
                5. John Mackay
                6. William MacDonald
                7. John Mackay
                8. Margaret MacDonald
                9. Alexander Mackay
                10. Malcolm Mackay

The only other thing it lists is how many males and females were in each of the above people's house holds and whether the family was chiefly employed in agriculture or trade.
                Could you send me the information in the 1811 Census for each John Mackay. The are two of them in your list.

Thank You

David McKay

Comment

Originally posted by David T McKay View Post
                  Could you send me the information in the 1811 Census for each John Mackay. The are two of them in your list.

Thank You

David McKay
                  Hi David, I apologise for the late reply, I do not visit this site very often. The information is as follows:

The first John Mackay living in Newlands, his family inhabited one house, his family was chiefly employed in agriculture, he had three males in his house (not including himself) and two females. Six people in total.

The second John Mackay in Newlands, his family inhabited one house, his family was chiefly employed in agriculture, he had two males in his house (not including himself) and four females Seven people in total.

That is all the census says. Sometimes if you find the parish birth records for the children you can match up the number of males and females.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                  X