X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for a book on Dundee Police

I was wondering if anyone could direct me in finding a copy of the book:
    City of Dundee Police 150th Anniversary: 1824-1974
    I have checked with Amazon.uk but they are sold out.
    My grandfather Will Brow was a Dundee policeman and I would very much like to find any books on the Dundee City Police to share with his daughther,my Mum.
    if anyone knows of any bookstores that may carry such titles please let me know and I will try to send for them. or anyone has any they would like to sell please let me know
    Thank you
    Tricia Cook-Bosnell
    59 Charles st
    Port Hope Ontario
    Canada L1A 1S6
    This is my country,
    The land that begat me,
    These windy spaces
    Are surely my own.
    And those who toil here
    In the sweat of their faces
    Are flesh of my flesh
    And bone of my bone.

It appears to have been published by the Scottish Police Federation

Try them.

Comment

Thank You! I have contacted them and they have forwarded my request to another source so I may have a chance of getting a copy.
      This is my country,
      The land that begat me,
      These windy spaces
      Are surely my own.
      And those who toil here
      Are flesh of my flesh
      And bone of my bone.

Comment

I actually was sent the book on adobe by an officer..how nice was that?!!
        I would still like to have a hard copy of the book if anyone finds it on their travels anywhere. Thank you very much xoxo
        This is my country,
        The land that begat me,
        These windy spaces
        Are surely my own.
        And those who toil here
        Are flesh of my flesh
        And bone of my bone.

Comment

Originally posted by PATRICIACB View Post
          I actually was sent the book on adobe by an officer..how nice was that?!!
          I would still like to have a hard copy of the book if anyone finds it on their travels anywhere. Thank you very much xoxo
          Excellent news !

Comment

Book on dundee police.

Having recently discovered this interesting website, I was pleasantly surprised to see the thread on the above subject!

Have you PATRICIACB been able to obtain the hard copy you referred to in your message of 24th May 2009?

I also am anxious to obtain the same book.

My Grandfather Charles Davie born1857 was a member of the Dundee Police.

Would any Forum Member know of an email address at Dundee Police where one could make contact, to see if there is still records in their archives about members of the Force during the period of my grandfathers employ?

Comment

Patricia CB posts infrequently on here, usually when she is seeking info. Try sending her a PM and she may be able to tell you who she contacted - or use the link that Scotgait suggested, earlier in this thread.

Good luck with your research.

Comment

reply to AULD REEKIE

If you could send me your email address I will forward you the email sent to me by the very kind Officer which includes an attached copy of the book on pdf file. I saved it in my drafts and you can then read the book while looking for a hard copy Unfortunately I am still on the hunt for a hard copy, I'll keep you posted in case I find any.
                Tricia
                This is my country,
                The land that begat me,
                These windy spaces
                Are surely my own.
                And those who toil here
                Are flesh of my flesh
                And bone of my bone.

Comment

city of dundee police 150th anniversary 1824-1974

Hello I have some fantastic news for anyone looking for said book, I have it ! I bought a copy from a Dundee book collector 1 year ago and was told it is the last MINT condition one left. I'm willing to sell it

Comment

Originally posted by Laird Beharrie View Post
                    I bought a copy from a Dundee book collector 1 year ago and was told it is the last MINT condition one left.
                    No doubt you were told this because it would explain the fact they were probably charging you more than it was worth. I nearly bought a book under similar circumstances once, but fortunately left it and found exactly the same book in just as good a condition for considerably less and there's no prizes for guessing which of the two book sellers is most likely to get my business in the future! (In truth, I would still buy from either one!)

Your post now Laird Beharrie strikes me as a means to get a wee bit more than you paid for it. My advice to anyone is to consider your offer very carefully (especially if it is potentially available free). Obviously if anyone things the Laird is looking for a reasonable amount then they're free to buy this last MINT condition copy!

Comment

city of dundee police 150th anniversary 1824-1974

Hi thanks for your quick reply , I'm not looking to make any money for the book just get back what I paid for it . I bought the book as I am (was) an avid collector of Dundee police memrobelia but as me and my family have made a life changing plans to move to new York I think it's time for a change . I would rather the book went to someone who is really interested in it than it go to someone looking to make money .

Comment

Laird, I can't help but be a teeny weeny bit suspicious to find that both of the posts you've made on this board are on this thread !

Comment

dundee police book

I was sent the Dundee Police book by a very kind gentleman from Dundee area and for what I believe was a very reasonable price. it arrived in great shape and I was thrilled since it was for my Mum..her father was William Brow a Dundee Constable for years.
                          I think if anyone is looking for this book like I was from overseas whatever you are willing to pay is up to you. I was really pleased with my purchace.
                          Thank you to everyone that took an interest in my request I really appreciate it.
                          This is my country,
                          The land that begat me,
                          These windy spaces
                          Are surely my own.
                          And those who toil here
                          Are flesh of my flesh
                          And bone of my bone.

Comment

Working...
                          X