Kidd Family in Scotland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kidd Family in Scotland

I am interested in communicating with Kidd Family members. Looking for decendants of William Kidd jr and Elizabeth Nethercote ( 1560's -1650's).

Hi there,

I know this thread is a bit old, but I've only just seen it.

My husband's family are Kidds. My husband's father was born and raised in Perth, and contends that the Kidd surname came from Flemish immigrants who settled in the Dundee area.

Unfortunately, my husband's family does not seem very interested in geneology, but I most certainly am. I would love to begin researching the Kidd surname, as it will be the surname of my children.

Please let me know if there is anything specific I could ask my father-in-law, or if you have any interesting information to share.

-kate

Comment

Hi Kate! Good to hear from you. I am new in this as well but I will share what I have

Originally posted by katekidd
      Hi there,

I know this thread is a bit old, but I've only just seen it.

My husband's family are Kidds. My husband's father was born and raised in Perth, and contends that the Kidd surname came from Flemish immigrants who settled in the Dundee area.

Unfortunately, my husband's family does not seem very interested in geneology, but I most certainly am. I would love to begin researching the Kidd surname, as it will be the surname of my children.

Please let me know if there is anything specific I could ask my father-in-law, or if you have any interesting information to share.

-kate

Comment

Kidd Clan

Hi there!

I am looking for family connections as well. One of my grandfathers was :

John Kidd
        Born 1820, OH, USA
        Died 1900, Green County, IN, USA
        Married, Rachel Flater

Have nothing about him prior to his marriage to Rachel Flater other than his Date and Place of Birth.

Many Thanks
        Kathy Kidd

Comment

Kidd Family

My Grandfather was Alexander Kidd. He was married to Lizzie Crowe.
          His name is on the Frockheim Memorial.
          Fought in Boer War and after immigrated to Canada with family.
          Died in 1st War.

Looking for relatives. James William Kidd, Ontario, Canada.

Comment

I too have Kidd ancestors in my family, but there was a bit of confusion along the way while tracing them. To start off was easy: my mum's maiden name was Kidd and that was (unsurprisingly) her father's surname. So far so good. The problem cropped up with his father, one John Kidd. When I found the relevant marriage certificate it listed his parents as John Kidd and Mary Flanagan. Still seems simple yea? Well, so I thought too, especially as the certificate in question listed the age of John Jr. and where the parents got married, which was in Edinburgh so chances are that was where he was born.

So, simple subtraction, a bit of hunting and nothing! No matter, a death certificate could also be useful to confirm details. So, I looked and found one that, working from the age and year of marriage, seemed right. Except the surname of the father was Flanagan (not forgetting his first name was also Luke) and the mother's was Kidd (but at least here the first name was Mary)! ok, I wasn't confused for long as the name of the deceased was listed as "John Kidd formerly Flanagan"! Somewhere along the way he (and, as it turns out, one of his brothers) changed his surname.

Given that Flanagan is likely to be of Irish origin (this is possibly the second Irish link in my family tree) could it be that, considering the attitude towards the Irish in the late 19th/early 20th century, the name was changed to "become" Scottish in order to secure/keep a job? This, for the time being, is only speculation on my part, but what other reason could there be for a name change?

Comment

William Kidd and Elizabeth Nethercoate are my 9th grandparents

I'm just now seeing this thread and I'm excited about it. William Kidd II and Elizabeth Nethercoate are my 9th grandparents. Their son Thomas traveled to America. They had a son William in 1674. William had a son Aaron in 1712. Aaron had a son William in 1737, and that William had a son Sherrod in 1783. Sherrod had a son David in 1814 who had a son Jesse M Kidd in 1853. Jesse died in a house that burned down. Jesse had a son Clarence late 1800's who was my grandfather. His son Roy P Kidd is my father. I'm traveling to the London area in June for a week then headed to Inverness, Scotland for a week. I plan to walk in the same areas my family is from. I understand the original Kidds aka Cyd, Kydd, Kyd, etc. were originally Norsemen from Scandinavia and settled throughout the Highlands of Scotland, England, and Londonderry, Ireland.

Comment

I'm related to the William Kidd that you are talking about.

Originally posted by crk312 View Post
                I am interested in communicating with Kidd Family members. Looking for decendants of William Kidd jr and Elizabeth Nethercote ( 1560's -1650's).
                Please read my post regarding your search. I am a descendent of William and Elizabeth. They are my 9th great grandparents.

Looking forward to communicating with you.

Cathy Kidd Hammond

Comment

The poster you quote made only 2 posts back in 2005.

Comment

Regarding your response to my post

Originally posted by Polwarth View Post
                    The poster you quote made only 2 posts back in 2005.
                    I noticed a post hadn't been made since 2005, but I also noticed a response to their request for descendants of William and Elizabeth hadn't been addressed, so I was hoping my response would be noticed. Oh well. I would love to make a connection to other family members, so I'm making an effort. Thank you for your post though.
                    Have a wonderful day!
                    Cathy

Comment

Originally posted by CathyKidd56 View Post
                      I noticed a post hadn't been made since 2005, but I also noticed a response to their request for descendants of William and Elizabeth hadn't been addressed, so I was hoping my response would be noticed. Oh well. I would love to make a connection to other family members, so I'm making an effort. Thank you for your post though.
                      Have a wonderful day!
                      Cathy
                      The best way to find out if a person still comes to the site is to send a site private message, if
                      they still have the same email account and allow members to contact them they should get back to you.

Please keep us informed of how you get on as like follow ups

Thank you

Comment

Thank You

Thank you for your suggestion to send a personal message. Wish me luck.

Cathy

Comment

Working...
                        X