Walker family name

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walker family name

Hello all! I'm new to this site! I searching for a family name-Walker- and wanted to know if it was still commonly found in Scotland... I haven't been back to Scotland since I was a child... and I am doing some research into my family ancestry.. I am Scotch-Irish...meaning either my ancestors married into an irish family...or simply they moved to Ireland... either way... if you have any info on the Walker name, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it!

scottishthistle

Hello there!

Walker is claimed as a sept by Stewart of Appin. Maybe other clans, too - but I'm not sure!

TThe link below will take you to a page re Stewarts of Appin
    http://www.electricscotland.com/webc...z/stewart.html

Walker is still a fairly common name in Scotland.

Comment

Walker family

My Grandmother Gray was a Walker. She came from Ireland, the Dramara area. I know we are from Norse blood however only think it is the Walkers who may have decended from the norweigan stock. I too have been told we are Scotch-Irishand my grandparents came to the USA in about 1915 (I think). Nothing seems to match. They were to have come over on the sister ship to the Tiatanic, however That did not seem to be so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Hello Dutchess
        Have you looked at the site I gave in an earlier reply to this thread? You may get furher information regarding Scots Walkers from the Appin forum on that site!

BTW - It is now usual to refer to Scots/Irish ancestry... Nowadays, in Scotland, 'Scotch' is only used to refer to things like food and wool! 'Scotch Eggs', for instance!

This is a Scottish site, and I can't help you with questions regarding Irish genealogical queries - but there are two separate Register Offices on the island of Ireland - both hold births/deaths/marriage info. Maybe when you have traced your grandparents via immigration records in the States, you would have a clearer picture of which parish/area of Ireland you should be researching!

Good luck with your research

http://www.groni.gov.uk/index.htm - Northern Ireland

Eire http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/...records/state/

Comment

Walker family

Hi Polwarth,

Thanks so much for your help, I'll check them out tomarrow when I am not so busy.

Comment

Walker Family Clan

Hi Polwarth,
            I went to the sites you posted. The first one is great if they are able to get me the info I need. The second is a rather big rip off. The want money for everything and the way it is set up is not very informative. I only lost 12 US so it could have been a lot worse.

Now itis a sit and wait to see if any info comes back.

Thanks a bunch it was very helpful. The problem is My logical way of thinking and the guys who put the programs together for these sites are oh shall we say light years apart. LOL

Again thak you so much.

The Dutchess

Comment

HELLO
              MY GRANDMOTHERS SISTER MARRIED A WALKER THEY WERE FROM EDINBURGH HER NAMNE WAS CLAIRE MANCLARK WALKER SHE HAD 3 OR 4 SONS THAT ALL HAVE THAT LAST NAME ONE ROBERT OTHER ANDREW CAN'T REMEMBER THE OTHERS ABOUT A YEAR AGO I TALK TO HER DAUGHTER IN EDINBURGH NORTHFIELD HER NAME IS CLAIRE WALKER O'BRIAN SHE AND MY MOTHER WERE NAMED AFTER EACH OTHER.
              I'VE BEEN TRYING TO FIND SOME OF MY FAMILY ALSO AND I KNOW SOME OF THE WALKERS MIGHT BE IN CANADA.
              I'M GOING TO TRY AND FIND CLAIRE WALKERS NUMBER AND CALL HER THIS WEEK, AS I'M PLANNING ON GOING BACK TO SCOTLAND THIS SUMMER.
              IF I HEAR FROM YOU I WILL KEEP YOU INFORMED ABOUT MY FINDINGS DON'T GIVE UP I HAD A POSTING ON THIS SITE FOR OVER 18 MONTHS AND ONE OF MY RELATIVES JUST ANSWERED ME 3 WEEKS AGO.
              GOOD LUCK

Comment

Polwarth

BTW - It is now usual to refer to Scots/Irish ancestry... Nowadays, in Scotland, 'Scotch' is only used to refer to things like food and wool! 'Scotch Eggs', for instance!

Can I count on this? I was being conscientious about using "Scots/Irish" and then read something that said it should be "Scotch."
                Shut up, she explained.

Comment

Well, I'm Scots. And I don't like to be referred to as Scotch. Whilst that was used in the past to describe us, it is nowadays only used for things like Scotch beef, Scotch eggs, and what foreigners call our national drink, whisky

Comment

I'm only quite a bit Scots, but the DNA seems to be rather potent.
                    Shut up, she explained.

Comment

How Scots is 'quite a bit'?

You may have Scots ancestry, but how much is that?

I'm Scots, born in Edinburgh, father and all his ancestors born in Appin. Mother's family: she, Edinburgh born, all ancestors from Sutherland.

Comment

I have never been to Scotland and all my paternal ancestors are Scots/Irish and German. My most recent immigrants are maternal ggggrandparents who came right before the Civil War. They came from Dumbartonshire, Cumbernauld. The men came to mine coal in Pennsylvania, but left for Kansas to farm as soon as they could. A number of the Scots who came at the same time went back to Scotland. Not mine. Know why? Because they became AMERICANS.
                        Shut up, she explained.

Comment

Why did the poster above shout like that ?

Comment

To let me know she was ANGRY.

Comment

Angry about the ancestors who failed to return to Scotland ?

Comment

Working...
                              X