Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McGifford or close plus Stewart , Carson , and O'Hara

Hello ,
    I am researching several items that I am hoping to gain some information.
    My main name is McGifford or McGiffert as it was also spelled.
    My grandfather was Hugh McGifford from Greenfeild street Govan Scotland. He was born the son of Arthur McGifford and Jane [ Barclay ] in 1899.
    He was one of several children.
    Arthur married Jane Barclay in 1883 at Govan. He was the son of James McGifford and Mary Carson. James was a ploughman on some estate .
    James was marreid and born in Ireland. Sometime around 1860 they immigrated to Scotland. There is a record of one Martha McGifford who married a Hugh Murnin in Downpatrick in 1874.
    Also Arthur who was married before he married Jane Barclay was married to one Margaret O'Hara in Belfast in 1876. She later died in 1882.
    Hugh immigrated to Canada in 1935 with his family. He was married to an Isabella Clark Stewart also from Govan...copland road.
    Her father or grandfather owned a dairy close to Govan named Sweet Hill Dairy.
    Is there anyone out there who may have ties to these families. ...Stewart...Carson...McGifford or McGiffert.

Thanks in advance,
    bluebirdonthewing

Hi Bluebird,
    I read what you posted and can confirm I am related to you.
    I am also doing research on my family tree on my father's side.
    James McGifford is your great-great grandfather, and my great-great-great grandfather. He married Mary Carson. His son(your great-grandfather,Arthur McGifford) had a sister called Martha Ann McGifford. She was my great-great grandmother. She married Hugh Murnin in Downpatrick, Co. Down and they had a daughter, Margaret Ann Murnin (Maggie) before moving to Baillieston which is a village South-East of Glasgow (in Lanarkshire). Hugh and Martha had further children: Martha (my great-grandmother), Sarah, Peter, James and John.
    Tragically, Sarah Murnin (my great-great Aunt) drowned in a reservoir in 1910 aged 19 whilst she was working as a farm servant on Townhead Farm near Helensburgh. John died of meningitis as a baby. Martha (an unmarried farm servant)died aged 21 giving birth to my grandfather in 1907. Nothing is known of my grandfather's father. Peter and James got married and (I believe) lived long lives.
    James McGifford's daughter Martha Ann (your great aunt) died of septaecemia in her forties. Her husband Hugh was an ex-military man and died in his 80s of heart disease.
    My grandfather, Matthew Murnin, moved back to Northern Ireland in 1910 where he changed his name to Matthew Murray. His son, my father, Brian Murray, moved over to Scotland with my Irish mother in 1979. I was born in 1983 and still live in Scotland.
    I wanted to find out more about my Dad's family tree because I have always grown up being the only Scottish person in the family (all the rest are Northern Irish). I was therefore interested to find out that there were some Scottish links and so decided to research the "Scottish bit" of my family.
    I can give you more precise dates etc if you want. I have a lot of birth and death, and marriage certificates of the people I have just mentioned with exact dates. I just don't have them on me at the moment! But let me know if you are interested and I can tell you more. I would also be keen for you to provide me with any information about your grandfather Hugh that could help me in my research. My email address is anna_f_murray@yahoo.com

Best Wishes, Anna

Comment

McGifford surname

Thank you Anna for the great info. We have e mailed you with some more info on yours and do need some more on ours.
      The where a bouts of the James and Mary [Carson] family would be a great find as it would give one a better understanding of events concerning the famine. It does seem though that in this age where travel was limited that Martha would have been born in or close to Downpatrick . There were several McGifford names from Crossgar which is not far away. Though Crossgar was hit quite hard by the famine and afterwards plague. Arthur , who was Martha,s brother was married in Belfast and could easily have gone there for employment but I could be wrong . There were mills and factories in Downpatrick as well and Martha could easilynhave traveled the thirty odd miles.
      There is some reference to another sister...Sarah who married one Samuel Massey. It seems they also immigrated to Govan or Lanarkshire area.
      Have not proved this though.
      Let us know what ye have.
      bluebirdonthewing

Comment

Murnin history

Oh Anna
        I hope you read this and get in touch
        My name is May and my grandfather was James Murnin
        I would love to hear from you
        maylindsay@sky.com

Comment

Murnin relations

Originally posted by Anna_M View Post
          Hi Bluebird,
          I read what you posted and can confirm I am related to you.
          I am also doing research on my family tree on my father's side.
          James McGifford is your great-great grandfather, and my great-great-great grandfather. He married Mary Carson. His son(your great-grandfather,Arthur McGifford) had a sister called Martha Ann McGifford. She was my great-great grandmother. She married Hugh Murnin in Downpatrick, Co. Down and they had a daughter, Margaret Ann Murnin (Maggie) before moving to Baillieston which is a village South-East of Glasgow (in Lanarkshire). Hugh and Martha had further children: Martha (my great-grandmother), Sarah, Peter, James and John.
          Tragically, Sarah Murnin (my great-great Aunt) drowned in a reservoir in 1910 aged 19 whilst she was working as a farm servant on Townhead Farm near Helensburgh. John died of meningitis as a baby. Martha (an unmarried farm servant)died aged 21 giving birth to my grandfather in 1907. Nothing is known of my grandfather's father. Peter and James got married and (I believe) lived long lives.
          James McGifford's daughter Martha Ann (your great aunt) died of septaecemia in her forties. Her husband Hugh was an ex-military man and died in his 80s of heart disease.
          My grandfather, Matthew Murnin, moved back to Northern Ireland in 1910 where he changed his name to Matthew Murray. His son, my father, Brian Murray, moved over to Scotland with my Irish mother in 1979. I was born in 1983 and still live in Scotland.
          I wanted to find out more about my Dad's family tree because I have always grown up being the only Scottish person in the family (all the rest are Northern Irish). I was therefore interested to find out that there were some Scottish links and so decided to research the "Scottish bit" of my family.
          I can give you more precise dates etc if you want. I have a lot of birth and death, and marriage certificates of the people I have just mentioned with exact dates. I just don't have them on me at the moment! But let me know if you are interested and I can tell you more. I would also be keen for you to provide me with any information about your grandfather Hugh that could help me in my research. My email address is anna_f_murray@yahoo.com

Best Wishes, Anna
          Hi Anna
          Please get in touch
          May Murnin

Comment

McGifford Surname

I have an ancestor with a somewhat similar surname and I keep hitting a brick wall on his family.

His name was Nathaniel McGufford and he emigrated to Wilmington, NC (USA) probably late in the 18th century. I have no idea who his wife was, but I do know he had several children. Some time after arriving in the US the family dropped the "Mc" and started calling themselves "Gufford". There are still Gufford descendants in the New Hanover/Pender County area of NC, but it seems all of us descend from Nathaniel's daughters or granddaughters--there don't seem to be any males by the name "Gufford" or "McGufford" still living there.

I have looked high and low for this name but while I've found similar-sounding names, I found only one McGufford in the IGI records in the LDS church. It was too late to be an ancestor of mine but I think he lived in Edinburgh and was married to a woman whose maiden name was Maxwell. (How I remembered that I will never know! ) This is the only mention I have come across of this name outside my own family and it is totally frustrating!!

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be eternally grateful!
            Last edited by BonnieGal; 14 September 2013, 11:49. Reason: I goofed up!
            sigpicRemember that the theatre of the world is wider than the realm of England.~~Mary Queen of Scots before her judges, October 1586

Comment

Working...
            X