Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valentine/Duncan Family Aberdeenshire/Kincardinshire area

First, Hello to all.

My dad and I are heading to Scotland in a week. I was just wondering if anyone might recognize family names or locations and be able to help flush out forgotten relatives living or not in the area. Any help would be appreciated.

My Starting Reference is family Scrapbook with earliest Reference being "Francis Valentine Owner of Blacksmith shop at Hillside Portlethen Kincardinshire. Both He and wife buried beside Old Church Portlethen, Wifes name forgotten".

From Scotsorigin.com: working forward.
    John (Jo.) Valentine(G7) B:unknown, Married Elspet Scirot, had 5 children.

John Valentine(G6) B:1722, married Marg. Carnegie, 1747 Fettercarin. had 5 children.

James Valentine(G5) B:1759, married Marg. Clark, had ~2 children.

Alex. Valentine(G4) B:1779, married Ann Burn, 1802 Garvock, had 9 children.

Francis Valentine(G3) B:1820, married Jane Stewart, 1857 Banchory, had 11 children.
    From Scrapbook information:

David Valentine(toolsmith) (G2) B:1859, married Elizabeth Law, had 3 children
    Marjory married James Reed/Reid, William, and Herbert

Herbert Valentine(G'dad) B:1892, married Minnie Kelly Duncan(G'mom) 1920 Oakland,California USA. had 3 children.

Herbert worked for A.B.Robertson 260 Union St. Aberdeen SCT. till he emigrated to USA in ~1915 became US citizen.

Minnie K. worked for James L. Archibald 10&12 Gt. Western Rd. Aberdeen SCT until ~1920.

The Duncan Family is by way of (G'mom) Minnie Kelly Duncan:

Alex. Duncan (stone mason and violin maker) married Susan Cooper lived in Clunie ~2 children Susan "Cane", and Alex.

Alex Duncan(stone mason) married Barbara Lumsden Kelly lived in Clunie. They had 6 children.

Doreen Duncan married Sandy Murray they had 7 children lived in Gartdee on Auchinyell Rd.

other associated names:

(Tattie)Shaw and wife potato farmer Uncle and Aunt of Minnie Kelly Duncan.

Marjory and May Leslie "county cousins"?

James Kelly(famer) and Mary Taylor Father and Mother of Barbara Lumsden Kelly lived in Dunicht/Coskie Aberdeenshire.

James Law(Free stone mason) and Mary Troup(e) Father and Mother of Eliz. Law. James died Port Elizabeth S.A.

Thanks in advance for any help

Pete

Alex Duncan Violin Maker

Hi P Valentine,
    I know it's a long time since you posted this message about members of your Scottish family, but you are probably still interested. So, here goes.

I knew Alex Duncan when I was a boy living in Cluny during the war. Alex lived on a croft on the side of a hill called Corrennie.
    I was introduced to him because I played the violin. He was very welcoming. I can vividly recall that he was making several instruments which had reached the stage of being varnished. With fine weather he used to hang them outside from a washing line to dry.
    That is not my only memory of him. He had a huge collection of tropical butterflies which he told me he had collected in South America in his youth. He had mounted them beautifully in simulated books made of wood. These opened up to reveal the butterflies under glass.

I hope this is of some interest.

John Reay

Comment

Thanks for the post!

It had been a while since checking in.

Much appreciated.

Pete

Comment

9 years between posts......that must be a new record

Comment

aye , could be eh mate .
          And even better , there is a fair chance of a happy result the Valentine family

Comment

Working...
          X