Question about Clan/Septs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Clan/Septs

If Grandma was a full Scottish 'Scott', and Grandpa was a full English 'Woods', (my understanding is that Septs travel through the female side due to marriage, but with an English Grandpa with no clan connection, and no recognized Sept to his last name), what do I associate myself to?
    My brain isn't working right now, let me look in my organizer........

So I was always under the impression Clan and sept affiliation was through the father. You have to have a last name that you wer born with that is a Clan or one of its Septs or at minimum one of the Adherent families

In practice today If there is an authorizing person or organization from your Grandmother's clan you would apply and be granted membership at the discretion of the Clan chief if there is one. Many Clan organizations will accept members not directly related to the Clan. It's sort of like being an adherent.

For instance according to the Sinclair Clan geneaologist as a person with my last name I am eligible to be a member of Clan Sinclair. Poeple of my family name in the past were adherents meaning they supported the Clan Sinclair in war.

Comment

Thank you for the informatuion and I will put to go use.

Comment

http://www.electricscotland.com has clan pages. There is an article on Clan/Septs there.

specific url
        http://www.electricscotland.com/webc...lies_septs.htm

Comment

Thank You again. I will try them.

Comment

Clans & Septs

Mamie:

So, from what you are saying about Clan affiliation is that since both of my grandparents roots are deepy inground into the Highlands - and my parent from this union is a female, that I have no clan affiliation and that since my daddy's roots were in what is today the United States (I don't use the word Indian because he did not come from India) that I can't clain my MacRae or Gibson (Clan Buchanan Sept) Scottish roots

Comment

In the Scottish communities without the country of Scotland, it doesn't seem to matter how long ago or through which line people connect to 'clans'...

My view is: if you WANT to consider yourself a '(name your clan/family here') - and you can prove any lineage, then there'll always be some clan society that will accept you.

Comment

Undoubtedly, of course, involving a "small" financial consideration for their hospitality...
                GIRFUY!

Comment

Originally posted by aNonnyMoose View Post
                  Undoubtedly, of course, involving a "small" financial consideration for their hospitality...
                  Oh you cynical MAN...! That thocht hudnae entered mah heid

Comment

Funny how there's always filthy lucre involved in trying to link yourself with a recessive-chinned anglo-educated moron, isn't it? Especially those who purchased their "rights" from that anglo-sanctioned fancy-dress buffoon the Lord Lyon.
                    GIRFUY!

Comment

So... that'll be the MacTavishes and ithers yer no sae keen oan?!
                      an noo the son of the last chief is mekkin money oota the Murcans tae; like faither, like son?!

Comment

Does appear to run in the family then - hadn't noticed the new one was following the habits of the old but then I haven't paid any attention. Heard the old one had gone to join his ancestors (there must have been a frisson in hell that night... ) but I'm generally not keen on any of these weak-jawed throwbacks. They can shove their ridiculous budgie feathers where the sun doesn't shine for all the relevance they have to Scotland - or any actual Scots...

A bit like wee Belgian poseurs, really... :-)
                        GIRFUY!

Comment

Aye, yer no wrang, Nonny

The Wee Belgie hus steyed affae quiet, eh no?

Comment

Last info I had was that he was running his scam in Latvia or Estonia, can't remember which. He's gone all quiet here, thankfully. The Loyal Followers or whatever are in mourning and seeking a replacement, as apparently the Clown Prince of Bavaria has already indicated his complete disinterest.

No doubt there will be another fake along soon though, to keep them happy In fact I live in hope of one appearing very, very soon, if you take my meaning...
                            GIRFUY!

Comment

Originally posted by aNonnyMoose View Post
                              Last info I had was that he was running his scam in Latvia or Estonia, can't remember which. He's gone all quiet here, thankfully. The Loyal Followers or whatever are in mourning and seeking a replacement, as apparently the Clown Prince of Bavaria has already indicated his complete disinterest.

No doubt there will be another fake along soon though, to keep them happy In fact I live in hope of one appearing very, very soon, if you take my meaning...
                              Heheheee - diz he huv an 'affshore' account?!

Comment

Working...
                              X