Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need honest opinions on Single Malt Scotches under $100 (Preferably from Scots)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need honest opinions on Single Malt Scotches under $100 (Preferably from Scots)

If you recall the dialog from the movie, "My cousin Vinnie," the guy says, "No self respecting southern would eat ready made grits." There is something to be said about his statement. It is emphatic and pretty much gives away the sentiment from a southern (USA) point of view.

Now relate this to the Single Malts. Can a statement be made, "No self respecting Scot would drink Glenmorangie," or whatever. You see, my friends and I are having this perpetual debate over various Scotches, available here in the U.S. and under $100. One of us made the comment that Macallan is over rated. Yet, others think that Macallan sets the bar as high as it can be in that price range. No pun intended.

My local liquor store carries a fairly good selection. I notice the following as being bought on a regular basis using a total non-scientific observation:

Glenfiddich
    Glenmorangie
    Glenlivet
    Highland Park
    Macallan
    Cragganmore
    Balvenie
    Cragganmore
    Springbank
    Lagavulin
    Ardbeg
    Laphroaig

So my Scottish friends, please help me out here with your expert opinion on this topic and tell me how you truly feel about these brands. Make BOLD statements.

Thank you.

My husband is the malt whisky drinker in our house. I raise it as a toast only on Burns' Night, St Andrew's Day and Hogmanay.

Malts we always keep in the house are

Highland Park
    Bowmore
    The Glenlivet

Others come and go....

Comment

Originally posted by Polwarth View Post
      My husband is the malt whisky drinker in our house. I raise it as a toast only on Burns' Night, St Andrew's Day and Hogmanay.
      Malts we always keep in the house are
      Others come and go....
      Thanks for the input. What does your husband think about Macallan? Is it in the come and go category?

Thanks again.

Comment

I think the only time we have it in the house is when it's been a gift

Comment

I know nothing of the subtleties of whisky tasting but having tried Macallan, Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich, Glenlivet and Balvenie whiskies the Macallan certainly wouldn't be my first choice. The Glenfiddich is often on offer in shops here and is probably the one I tend to buy as it always goes down well and to my mind represents good value. To be fair though I wouldn't be averse to drinking any of the above

Comment

Favourite Malts in our house are:

Highland Park
            Glen Ord(Singleton)
            and
            Talisker

Macallan is one of the milder malts as is Glen Grant, if you want a throat burner I found that Glenlivet did just that !

Comment

My Dad likes Glenfiddich. I prefer a nice Chennin Blanc!

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

This reminds me of a future (non-!) problem I’ll have to face.

In the past here, I collected a lot of liqueurs and spirits etc for cocktail-making. Had lots of fun having house parties etc but the parties cost too much and nowadays no parties and I have a lot of bottles untouched.

Likewise, I started collecting malt whiskies at duty-frees and also local trading shops here. I also collected 5 when we went to Scotland in 2013 (each malt representing where we’d stayed near – Edradour, Blair Atholl, Oban, Springbank and I forget the 5th – maybe Dalwhinnie ?). Anyway, I have around 27 bottles, mostly of different makes of malts nearly all unopened. I’m not likely to drink them as I don’t drink whisky anymore. They're in pride of place in my display bar as a collection.

I also have been buying wine, about 25 just now (old school - France, Italy, Spain) but these do get used, mainly with food and get replaced. I do enjoy a nice glass of wine – red or white !

So, if as hoped, I can pack in working here in 3 or 4 years’ time and move to the Philippines with my wife to live (just an affordable, small-sized new-built developer house), I can’t take the bottles with me. (I don’t think I could anyway for customs reasons – huge payable duty). The wine will be phased out and used up but I’ll have to get rid of the whisky etc. I can’t sell it openly – that’s illegal. I can quietly give it away to family and friends but they’re not whisky drinkers.

I won’t pour it down the sink ! What to do ? Maybe give to my Western work colleagues ?

Like I say, a non-problem in the scheme of things !

Comment

Lagavulin . . . it's like smoky bacon crisps. Oh yeah.

Comment

Working...
                  X