Marmalade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marmalade

I read some place that marmalade was named for a remedy used by Mary (Queen) for an ailment.

Here is the quote.

"A romantic tale has the beloved Queen of Scots, Mary, on the point of death from a chill caught while daringly riding horseback through a rainy night to meet her lover, Bothwell. Her French chef created a sweet concoction of quinces and oranges to tempt her appetite. She liked it so much that a dish was kept always at her bedside, and thus took the name "Marie malade" and now the modern word is marmalade."

Any:
    Input?
    Ideas?
    Discussion?
    Disputes?

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Input .
    ------
    The definition of marmalade has evolved over the centuries. Originally, it was a sweet spread made from the quince fruit. The term marmalade has conflicting origins.

One account holds that marmalade was created by a doctor treating Mary, Queen of Scots (1542 1587 ) , for seasickness by mixing crushed sugar with oranges. The story infers the term marmalade is a derivation of "Marie est malade," a French phrase roughly meaning "Mary's illness."

However, most historians scoff at this explanation and believe the term came from the Portuguese marmelo for quince, from which original marmelada was made. Marmalade first appears in English print in 1524. By the 18th century, the Seville orange (a bitter variety) had replaced the quince in marmalade popularity.

What is marmalade?
    If the dates above are accurate , the facts don't match up

Comment

loved marmalade when i was a kid......hated jam

now i dont like either

go figure

Comment

Never been a fan of marmalade myself , or any citrus peel product for that matter .

Comment

Originally posted by tig View Post
          loved marmalade when i was a kid......hated jam

now i dont like either

go figure
          how do you have your devonshire scones ?

Comment

a wit?

Comment

a wit clotted cream , and a wit more clotted cream ?

yummm

Comment

eek

just the butter for me ta......or swap it for a fern cake lol

Comment

good move

Comment

Working...
                  X