Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for Dundee Cake recipe, where the cake must be frequently fed with whisky

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Dundee Cake recipe, where the cake must be frequently fed with whisky

Hello forum

I just registered here because I was hoping that someone can help me. In German cooking forums nobody seems to be able to - no wonder, I guess...

This year, I would very much like to bake a Whisky Dundee for Christmas. From what Ive heard - and I would be most interested in a recipe like that -, this sort of cake must be fed with whisky over several weeks to mature it, and it is said that the taste becomes better, the longer it matures.

Im looking for a recipe now, and I feel Ive searched the whole internet (also here in the forum), but unfortunately to no avail...

I found many many recipes for Dundee cake, some of them dont even use whisky to feed the cake, if at all, and some even say you can use rum or any other sort of spirit! (Which is totally out of the question, if it has to be a real Scottish Whisky Dundee, if you ask me.)

Does anyone of you have a recipe according to what Ive heard? Or if no one does (I could also build some kind of a "cross section" of the recipes I found which sounded good), maybe someone could tell me please how many weeks you can store the cake (meaning, how many weeks before Christmas do I bake it), and how often do you feed it with how much whisky?

Thank you so much for your answers!

Cheers,
    Nadine

I don't 'feed' my Dundee cakes - but I certainly do that to my Christmas cakes and Christmas puddings!

Comment

Please forgive me if I used the wrong terms. Im not a native speaker. I take it that in your sense, "feeding" means that you eat and enjoy your Christmas cakes and puddings? Thats good on you! I also do with mine.

Can anyone help me here? That would really be very appreciated. I dont want to bake a Whisky Dundee at the end of November and find out at Christmas that it has gone bad... therefore I really would like to know how many weeks in advance you bake the cake.

Cheers,
      Nadine

Comment

Well, good for you, eating a cake you've made.

BUT, that's not what 'feeding' means in this sense.

I bake the cakes (with whisky or brandy in the mix) - and then allow to cool and put in an airtight container. I then put holes in the cake with a meat skewer and drizzle brandy or whisky into the cakes, through the holes. I repeat this weekly for 4-6 weeks.

For information: Sarcasm might not be the best way to get an answer to a question

A traditional Dundee cake usually has whole almonds arranged in a pattern on the top. IMO: They would go rubbery in texture if you added lots of alcohol to them.

Comment

Like many British (not just Scottish) bakers, I cook the cakes and puddings on StirUp Sunday and then 'feed' the cakes/puddings between then and Christmas or Hogmanay (I also make a traditional Scottish black bun, which needs to be 'fed', too).

Comment

Thank you so much, Polwarth, for your answer - that helps me very much indeed!

Sorry you mistook my answer for sarcasm - I really was insecure about what you meant with the feeding - I thought maybe I did get the meaning of that word wrong - and just wanted to be friendly... I apologize for that.

Ah - I see - so the almonds are the problem. Then I probably mixed up what Ive heard about feeding the Dundee cake with whisky with another Christmas cake from the UK...

But its good to know that you can let the cake rest for 4 to 6 weeks. I think Ill try it out nevertheless - maybe the almonds wont go rubbery when Im carefully avoiding them with the sprinkling...

Comment

You mistake what I've written, I don't keep Dundee cakes for 4-6 weeks, only Christmas cakes which are a richer fruit cake.

Dundee cakes don't last more than a week in my house!

Comment

I see. But is it that they dont last because you cant resist eating them , or because they would go bad?

Im really curious about feeding one with whisky over a certain amount of time, like 4 weeks or so. Hope you dont think Im crazy

Or - another question - what are the cakes called you yourself bake and feed with alcohol for 4 or 6 weeks, if you like to tell me? I would like to look up a recipe of one and find out if it differs greatly from the Dundee cake recipes I have looked up, what the ingredients are concerned.

Comment

Argh, sorry, Ive seen you already named them - simply Christmas cake, right...

Comment

Yes!
                    Do a search for Traditional British Christmas cakes - I'm sure millions of recipes will come up!

Comment

Have already found a very good sounding one! Along with your information, that you can let them rest for 4 to 6 weeks, feeding it frequently, I think Ive everything I need to bake a very good cake for Christmas this year!

Again - thank you so much for your help!

Comment

My Christmas Cake is often made in July and its fed MALT Whisky probably monthly till I marzipan it.

I forgot about one a few years ago and it did taste lovely a year later so moist and potent

I tend to make all the xmas cakes for all the family so do start early !!

As for a Dundee cake I find that they are a lot drier than a Christmas Cake...even without its whisky added

When making a cake for family with small children I will use a low alcohol content red wine, they seem to enjoy it !

Comment

Hi there, Babz - thank you also for giving me these insights! Wow - you bake it in July already!!! Ive read that these kind of cakes do get better the longer they mature, but never would have guessed that you can keep them for so long!

Again, Im very happy that I can ask you people here, because over in Germany - at least the guys in the cooking forum I frequently visit seem to never have heard of feeding a cake with whisky and keeping it for so long!

So the alcohol does preserve it, I presume! Do you wrap it in tinfoil or greased paper? I would tend to use tinfoil in addition to an airtight container.

Comment

Originally posted by whitelady View Post
                            Hi there, Babz - thank you also for giving me these insights! Wow - you bake it in July already!!! Ive read that these kind of cakes do get better the longer they mature, but never would have guessed that you can keep them for so long!

Again, Im very happy that I can ask you people here, because over in Germany - at least the guys in the cooking forum I frequently visit seem to never have heard of feeding a cake with whisky and keeping it for so long!

So the alcohol does preserve it, I presume! Do you wrap it in tinfoil or greased paper? I would tend to use tinfoil in addition to an airtight container.
                            Usually I wrap it in greaseproof paper and then clingfilm, it does depend on how much alcohol I put in it.

If not adding a lot I will use the greaseproof and then put in a container.

Everyone has their own way of wrapping cakes for keeping so whatever works best for you use it !

Comment

Oh, clingfilm is a very good idea - since my only airtight container which would be big enough is blocked for a German "Lebkuchen" dough which has to rest until the beginning of December atm... Thank you!

So - the Dundee Cake is in the oven right now... Im very curious about the result of this experiment! ;-)

I compared the recipes of Christmas Cakes and Dundee Cakes and didnt find so much differences between them, except for the (optional) black treacle for the Christmas Cake... so I guess it must be possible to treat the Dundee the same as a Christmas Cake and letting it rest for so long... And if not, well... it will be worth a try! ;-)
                              Last edited by whitelady; 3rd November 2011, 15:27.

Comment

Working...
                              X