No announcement yet.

Traditional Scottish Christman Dinner ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traditional Scottish Christman Dinner ?

We Americans have many traditional Dishes that we have adapted to The Christmas day meal .while I do not speak for all...in general we do the Turkey, or Ham or sometimes both. Dressing ( or some call it Stuffing if you stuff your bird) Mashed Potato, gravy,veggies & cranberry etc.....what are some dishes that are favorites of some of you?

Would be fun to mix it up this year etc.
    thanks
    Kat
    Last edited by kittyleen; 19th September 2011, 17:59. Reason: corrections

i usual have turkey but with roast potato's.

but the last few years all the Chinese restaurants have been opening on xmas day and are becoming very popular
    so i might do that this year

Comment

I alternate between roast goose and roast turkey. Served with roasted potatoes and parsnips, kilted chipolatas, Brussel sprouts with pancetta, honey glazed carrots, bread sauce, home-made stuffing, red-wine gravy, with cranberry sauce, if serving turkey, redcurrant sauce if serving goose.

Pudding: Christmas pudding and Tipsy Laird (although we normally leave that until much, much later in the day as we are so full from the first and main courses!)

Comment

Lol

Originally posted by tig View Post

but the last few years all the Chinese restaurants have been opening on xmas day and are becoming very popular
        Same here....or you could always have turkey kebabs lol

Comment

Originally posted by Polwarth View Post
          I alternate between roast goose and roast turkey. Served with roasted potatoes and parsnips, kilted chipolatas, Brussel sprouts with pancetta, honey glazed carrots, bread sauce, home-made stuffing, red-wine gravy, with cranberry sauce, if serving turkey, redcurrant sauce if serving goose.

Pudding: Christmas pudding and Tipsy Laird (although we normally leave that until much, much later in the day as we are so full from the first and main courses!)
          It all sounds amazing.......what is bread sauce? And what do
          You put in your stuffing?

Comment

Bread sauce is a white sauce (milk, simmered with a bayleaf and an onion, then add lots of breadcrumbs until they take up the sauce, beat until smooth).

I make 2 stuffings, sausagemeat with herbs and sage/onion.

Our big celebration is really on Hogmanay, when we bake, cook, clean and generally go mental to ensure everything is just right to welcome in the new year.

Comment

Originally posted by tig View Post

fa ra ra ra raa ra ra ra raa!

That's racist, I'm sorry. A sudden image appeared in my mind from the movie A Christmas Story.
              I'd tell you I'm Scottish, but It's not polite to brag.

Comment

Originally posted by Polwarth View Post
                Bread sauce is a white sauce (milk, simmered with a bayleaf and an onion, then add lots of breadcrumbs until they take up the sauce, beat until smooth).

I make 2 stuffings, sausagemeat with herbs and sage/onion.

Our big celebration is really on Hogmanay, when we bake, cook, clean and generally go mental to ensure everything is just right to welcome in the new year.

Last year, I thought I would stuff the turkey with some vegetarian haggis, very tasty, but also very rich.

Comment

Working...
                X