This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you're a Scot, look away now... haggis was invented by the English

For centuries it has been a symbol of Scotland alongside tartan, bagpipes and whisky.

But haggis is actually an English creation, a food historian has discovered.

The claim has sparked a fierce backlash from proud Scots who eat the dish every January to celebrate the poet Robert Burns, who wrote in praise of 'the great chieftain of the puddin' race'.

Food historian Catherine Brown has found mentions of haggis in an English cooking guide from 1615 which proves it was being eaten south of the border some 171 years before Robert Burns wrote his Address to the Haggis.

Read more: If you're a Scot, look away now... haggis was invented by the English | Mail Online

Time for a Poll , get your vote in now

Ok folks , who the thickest thick wit ?

Sgoinneil ,
    for thinking that the knowledge that the haggis was not invented just prior to Robert Burns having a feed , getting pissed and waxin' lyrical about the house special on the menu in the pub that night , is new

or ,

Catherine Brown ,
    for thinking that the knowledge that the haggis was not invented just prior to Robert Burns having a feed , getting pissed and waxin' lyrical about the house special on the menu in the pub that night , is new .

Comment

The experiment has worked. Vermin has been succesfully attracted like a fly to flypaper.

Comment

are daily mail links not banned on here?

they should be

Comment

Yes , and so should the trolls who promote the daily mail's trash

Comment

Originally posted by Duthill View Post
            Time for a Poll , get your vote in now

Ok folks , who the thickest thick wit ?

Oh memememememe!!!....I wanna vote!!!..let me vote!!!!....can I vote????
            I choose...."C"...all the above!!!....do I get to win somethin??
            You're just jealous cause the voices only talk to me!

Comment

Originally posted by 2blue View Post

Oh memememememe!!!....I wanna vote!!!..let me vote!!!!....can I vote????
              I choose...."C"...all the above!!!....do I get to win somethin??
              We have a winner folks .

Congratulations 2Blue you have the honour of ridiculing the troll of your choice , at your leisure

Comment

Mwhahahahahaha
                You're just jealous cause the voices only talk to me!

Comment

Why do some people seem so defensive about origins? If we go by the written evidence, it seems to favour England as the haggis home. Seeing how its a common slur against Scots, you could see it as a handy point to use against prejudice.

BBC NEWS | UK | Haggis is English, historian says

Comment

Originally posted by Sgoinneil View Post
                    Why do some people seem so defensive about origins? If we go by the written evidence, it seems to favour England as the haggis home. Seeing how its a common slur against Scots, you could see it as a handy point to use against prejudice.

BBC NEWS | UK | Haggis is English, historian says
                    Who is being defensive, other that you ?
                    It is well know , and has been for many centuries , that haggis , both the sausage pudding , and the word , have origins beyond Scotland .

This fact of history is obviously new to you and to the authors of the fluffy magazine pieces . All of you need to learn how to live with your intellectual deficiencies

Comment

But beyond Scotland isn't quite the same as English is it? Is the BBC not a reliable source for the first published haggis recipe?

Comment

Just as Burn's dialect came from England, the haggis might have come northwards into Scotland too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgoinneil View Post
                          But beyond Scotland isn't quite the same as English is it? Is the BBC not a reliable source for the first published haggis recipe?
                          This well know fact will come as a shock to you .
                          The publishing of a recipe in not that same a the origin of a food dish .

Heart wrenching as it is to you , you will have to accept that the English ancestors did not 'invent' haggis .

Comment

Maybe they did though. It doesnt mean they didn't does it? It's evidence in the favour of an English origin.

Comment

It is only evidence in LaLa Land .
                              In the real world it does not even come close to being considered as evidence of the origin of the dish , whatever name it is known by , haggis included .
                              even Homer simpson could figure that one out .

You are drowing here . Please die silently

Comment

Working...
                              X