Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help With Old Biscuits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help With Old Biscuits

    When I was a lad and in the days when a treat didn't have to cost a fortune to make us happy, my mum used to get a particular type of biscuit as a treat for us. They were plain-chocolate covered wafer triangles and they came in a cardboard packet. I think they were called Vienna Triangles. I thought they were great ! Can anyone remember them ? Who manufactured them and are they still being put on shelves today ?

  • #2
    Biscuits are not bought in our house - but this site has helped my overseas pals and relatives to find little known tastes of home!

    BTW those biscuits wur mingin'....!

    Mmmm nice

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Polwarth View Post
      Biscuits are not bought in our house - but this site has helped my overseas pals and relatives to find little known tastes of home!

      BTW those biscuits wur mingin'....!

      Mmmm nice
      You didn't like Vienna Triangles ? I thought they were magic !

      On your link, you had Jacob's Club, now they were great Especially the raisin ones

      Comment


      • #4
        It's certainly worthwhile having a wee shoofty around that weecuppatea site, Lachlan - I found a lot of 'lost' and long-forgotten treats on there, although I haven't looked at it recently!

        You were affae easily pleased in your house, we had to have cadbury chocolate fingers or as a treat chocolate bath olivers to think we were getting a treat!

        Comment


        • #5
          Lachie ,
          if you are ever over here , in Christchurch ( my home town) try this place Johnson's Grocery Christchurch | A travel story by Roy Sinclair .
          They might even have a packet of Vienna Triangles in there somewhere
          The place is a veritable treasure trove .

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Polwarth View Post
            It's certainly worthwhile having a wee shoofty around that weecuppatea site, Lachlan - I found a lot of 'lost' and long-forgotten treats on there, although I haven't looked at it recently!

            You were affae easily pleased in your house, we had to have cadbury chocolate fingers or as a treat chocolate bath olivers to think we were getting a treat!
            Bath Olivers ? Sounds awfully posh !

            PS Is it just me or have biscuits got smaller over the years ? Wagon Wheels, Kit-Kat to name but 2 !

            Comment


            • #7
              I think you're right - but the manufacturers keep trying to insist it's just because we're now adults, who remember HUGE wagonwheels, which really weren't!

              Aye, right!

              Bath Olivers - my Mum ordered them by post, so I'm not sure where she got them.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Lachlan09 View Post
                ... Can anyone remember them ? Who manufactured them and are they still being put on shelves today ?
                I think they were made by MacFarlane Lang in Tollcross in the east end of Glasgow. Well, actually, I'm sure they were. My brother once worked there as a sort of baby chemist or something. He said it was rather good in the winter time, when everyone might arrive all cold and freezing, but well, given the nature of the product, they could always start off the day with great cups of hot chocolate with whatever weird flavour they felt like adding that day. I liked that story a bit more than I liked the one about the polyhydrogenated fish oil used in (some of) the biscuits. The story about everyone madly chasing around the lab to catch the cocoa bean moth was amusing too.

                I don't know if the Vienna triangular biscuits are still made. Quite likely they are. Oh no, will this mean I feel a need to go wandering around biscuity shelves, all in the name of "Research"? I will get fat(ter) and I will blame Lachlan.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Lachlan09 View Post
                  Bath Olivers ? Sounds awfully posh !

                  PS Is it just me or have biscuits got smaller over the years ? Wagon Wheels, Kit-Kat to name but 2 !
                  Oh yes. I am sure they have. Especially Wagon Wheels - I am SURE they used to be big. I don't know whether they still exist.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    oh yes....i used to love wagon wheels....

                    theyve not only got smaller but they dont taste the same these days....cheap crap in fact

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      During the 80's/90's, I was a Boasters addict

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X