Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Haggis Month !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Haggis Month !

    Now that I got my haggis safely back to Oman, any thoughts on a modern twist to the traditional haggis, neeps and tatties for Burns' Nicht ?

  • #2
    Lachie ,
    a chef from Switzerland suggested plum sauce to me once .
    I tried it , and it works ok .

    Comment


    • #3
      Lachlan
      Why mess with a great meal?

      Comment


      • #4
        i had curried haggis once

        was bloomin lovely too

        Comment


        • #5
          Tig's right, curried Haggis is excellent, just break a haggis up into a good hot curry sauce and serve with rice.
          A popular breakfast in my bothying days was porage topped with broon sugar & whisky!, known as a Bothy Trifle. Just superb, but probably verboten in Oman. wullie.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by wullie m View Post
            but probably verboten in Oman.
            aye they dont have bothys

            Comment


            • #7
              Curried haggis sounds alright... better than that crazy plum sauce suggestion!
              Support CHAS the Children's Hospice Association Scotland

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by wullie m View Post
                Tig's right, curried Haggis is excellent, just break a haggis up into a good hot curry sauce and serve with rice.
                A popular breakfast in my bothying days was porage topped with broon sugar & whisky!, known as a Bothy Trifle. Just superb, but probably verboten in Oman. wullie.
                ...it's the pinhead oats that are hard to get here. I'll try to get some off the next passing camel caravan

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ScotSites View Post
                  ... better than that crazy plum sauce suggestion!
                  Condemnation before investigation is Crazy

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Duthill View Post
                    Lachie ,
                    a chef from Switzerland suggested plum sauce to me once .
                    I tried it , and it works ok .
                    Is that Chinese-style plum sauce ?

                    I noticed since on the net that a small group of Edinburgh Scottish-cuisine restaurants under the name Stac Polly have a dish on their menu which is haggis filo parcels with a plum sauce topping. According to feedback from blogs etc, they seem to be really good.

                    As stacking food in layers instead of side-by-side seems to be the in-thing nowadays, I can put the mashed tatties on the bottom (neatly formed by a metal ring of course !), then haggis neatly layered on top with the mashed neeps spooned over (any jus au neep there may be can be spooned in dots around the plated-up food)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Lachlan09 View Post
                      Is that Chinese-style plum sauce ?

                      I noticed since on the net that a small group of Edinburgh Scottish-cuisine restaurants under the name Stac Polly have a dish on their menu which is haggis filo parcels with a plum sauce topping. According to feedback from blogs etc, they seem to be really good.
                      I dunno what sort it was mate .
                      I bought a bottle of it off the supermarket shelf .
                      Tried a few drops on a bit first , thought yep , that'll do it.
                      I found that too much was too much .
                      Used sparingly is just right for me .

                      Those haggis filos and plum sauce topping look tasty

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        You're making me hungry and it's only mid-morning here !

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm making me hungry , its' mealtime and the butcher is closed

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Duthill View Post
                            Condemnation before investigation is Crazy
                            Not really - I don't like plums so wouldn't even consider plum sauce for anything let alone haggis!
                            Support CHAS the Children's Hospice Association Scotland

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Wullie's very big on plums, would that be Hoi Sin sauce? Watched Nigela Lawson (take one very tight jumper!) making stewed plums on french toast, must try it! wullie.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X