'Taste Ye Back' celebrity cookbook

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Taste Ye Back' celebrity cookbook

Has anyone seen this lovely book by Sue Lawrence (from STVs The Hour)?

In it, she talks to lots of famous Scots about the food they enjoyed as children growing up in Scotland - everyone from Ewan McGregor, Andrew Marr, Ally McCoist, Billy McNeill, Lorraine Kelly, Kirsty Wark, Gordon Brown, Alex Salmond, Barbara Dickson, Gordon Ramsay, Elaine C. Smith...

Interesting stuff and some of the recipes look delicious!

BB

Taste Ye Back

Do the recipes look difficult to make? I hope they don't call for ingredients that are hard to find.

Comment

Haven't seen the book, BB - but I've got a number of Sue Lawrence's books. She's the berries!

Comment

Originally posted by lindainpa View Post
        Do the recipes look difficult to make? I hope they don't call for ingredients that are hard to find.
        Mars Bars & lard mostly

Comment

Ah think you're in a parallel universe someplace, lard? nobody uses lard nooadays, Mars Bars, presumably fried! more steriotypical nonsense! how come I've reached retirement without ever seeing such a thing?
          wullie m.

Comment

Originally posted by Max0001 View Post
            Mars Bars & lard mostly
            You don't really like us much, do you?

FYI - Sue Lawrence is a great cook. She won an early masterchef, when the contestants really could cook.

Comment

Love the Scots

I love everything Scotland and will be looking for the cookbook.

Comment

Howabout, tablet, tattie scones, mince & tatties, decent curry!
                wullie m.

Comment

I'm not sure, but I think both tattie scone and tablet recipes are here on Skatcom.

Comment

I'm sorry but I don't get this thread.

Where are the recipes especially the original family special secret recipes that could give us all a treat.

Not much to do with food as far as I can see.

I await your genius.

I will go and see if I can find a Scottish recipe to add flavour to this culinary blankspot.

Comment

Traditional Scottish Recipes
                      - Apple Butterscotch Pie

Butterscotch is a brittle sweet (candy) made from sugar and butter which has long been popular. This pie is not brittle - but it's just as tasty and has meringue on top!

Ingredients:
                      A 22cm/9" pastry lined flan case
                      Eating apples to fill the flan case completely
                      3 ounces (100g or scant cup) demerara (light brown) sugar
                      4 ounces (125g or two-thirds cup) granulated sugar
                      2 tablespoons plum jam
                      2 level tablespoons flour
                      2 tablespoons cream
                      3 eggs (one complete and two egg whites)
                      Small pinch of salt

Method:
                      You can use a ready-prepared pastry flan case or make your own (see the Flan Case recipe page). Thinly slice the apples and fill the case completely.

Beat together one egg and one tablespoon of cream. Mix this with the brown sugar, flour and pinch of salt. Spread this mixture over the apples and bake in a preheated oven at 220C/425F/Gas mark 7 for ten minutes. Then reduce the heat to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4 for a further 20 minutes or so, until the apples are soft.

Make a meringue topping by placing two egg whites in a dry bowl and beat with an electric whisk until firm peaks form. Add the white sugar gradually, beating constantly until the mixture is thick and glossy and all the sugar has dissolved. Spread the plum jam over the apple and then spoon the meringue over the filling. Swirl into peaks with a fork or flat-bladed knife. Bake for a further 20 minutes or so until the meringue is lightly golden. Serve cold.

Can't say if it's any good or not but I like the name : Apple butterscotch pie.

What's not to like?

Comment

Working...
                      X