Recipies Needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipies Needed

I live in the United States and am doing a report on Scotland in my cooking class. I need 6 recipies for the different parts of a menu : appetizer, soup, main dish, side dish, bread, salad, dessert. I can't use ny alcohol in these recipies; I'm making them in school.

Some good traditional recipes!

Hallo there!
    I`m a housewife and Scottish- what better qualifications for being a good cook! Here are some good traditional scottish recipes for you..

SCOTCH BROTH
    2lbs lean mutton
    2 pints water
    carrots
    leeks
    2 handfuls pearl barley
    peas, turnip, onion
    fresh parsley

Put the mutton in a big pan with the water, bring slowly to the boil and simmer for 11/2 hours. Add all the chopped vegetables and barley. Simmer until vegetables and barley are cooked- about 1 hour. Serve hot.

STOVIES
    1lb cold chopped cooked mutton or beef
    11/2lb sliced raw potato
    1 large onion
    salt & pepper
    2 carrots and a piece of turnip
    oil to cook in

Heat oil in a large pan. Put in layer of potato and then layer of onion, then meat, vegetables and finallt potaoes and seasoning. Put lid on and cook on a low heat for 30 minutes until potatoes are soft. serve hot.

SKIRLIE
    Oatmeal Onion Suet

Chop suet and put into a very hot pan. when it`s melted add 1 or 2 chopped onions and cook until golden. add enough oatmeal to absorb the fat, making a thick mixture. Srir and cook for a few minutes, serve hot with potatoes or cold and sliced.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

http://thefoody.com/home.html

Got this from a member of another website.
        If there is anything not on here it is not worth looking for.

Comment

hey, thanks purple!! that web site is great!!!
          ever notice "what the hell" is always the right decision.

Comment

any ideas on a side dish (potatoes?), soup, salad, or appetizer?

thanks macha i'll use your stovies recipie
            i'll have to try your website , purple

Comment

You have a soup recipe in this thread already!
              But you could also do a lentil soup (traditional) or cock a leekie (chicken and leek). In Scotland in times gone by the weather would not have allowed 'salads' except at the height of our summer! So, 'traditional' and salad are not words that compute in Scots cuisine!

Potatoes cooked with onions and cream and baked in the oven (sort of pommes dauphinoise!) is a traditional dish.

Puddings - well, how about Tipsy Laird (a Scottish version of the old English dish called 'trifle'), or Cranachan, or Edinburgh Fog?

I suggest you do a search on this forum - there are lots and LOTS of Scots recipes here and a little judicious reading should give you lots of ideas.

Comment

What would be typical salads, Polwarth?

Comment

do you have a good recipie for those potatoes? That's all I need, then I can stop bugging you because i'll be done with my project

Comment

you are making me HUNGRY!

Comment

I forgot to mention some cheese in the potato dish!

150ml/5fl oz cream
                      1 large potato, thinly sliced
                      1 small onion sliced thinly
                      1 lemon, zest only
                      55g/2oz cheese
                      salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
                      Heat the cream in a pan until just simmering - don't let it boil or it will 'split'.
                      Add the potato, onion and lemon zest.
                      Gently stir through to coat.
                      Sprinkle over the cheese and season.
                      Simmer for two minutes.
                      Put in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or so until the potato slices are tender.

Comment

Is there any specific name for your potatoes or are they just potatoes

Comment

Potatoes in Scotland are called .... potatoes

Comment

gosh that potato dish sounds good, Polwarth. I wish i had the ingredients handy.

Comment

I'm back I know I'm sorry to bother you again Polwarth
                              It turns out I have too many recipies with potatoes in them (according to my teacher) so i meed a non-potatoe side dish
                              If you can help thanks I appreciate it. If not I understand. If you hate me for pestering you too much, then you'll just have to bear with me a little longer.

Comment

Working...
                              X