Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Meat Pie recipe?

Just found these forums!

I've been looking for a recipe for Scottish Meat Pies, but have so far been unsuccessful. Most of the recipes I have seen have them being made with crimps on the side. I was wanting the recipe that make a 4-inch (or so) round pastry with the filling in the middle. (I've seen them this way at various Scottish fairs here in the US.)

Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure whether you mean a traditional water crust mutton pie or the famous Scottish steak pie (usually a bigger size)

Here's a recipe for the larger pie

Steak Pie

Ingredients: 1lb 8oz Stewing Steak, 1 onion
    Puta little sunflower oil in a frying pan and gently brown the steak. Remove and then use the oil to and cook the onion until just coloured - do not allow to brown.
    Put both in a saicepan with 8 - 12 fl.oz. of stock - fresh or from a cube. Stew for 1.5 - 2 hours until the meat is very tender.
    You can use Flaky Pastry or puff pastry. Here's a recipe for flaky

8oz Plain Flour
    4oz butter (cold and hard, straight from fridge)
    2oz Lard
    cold water to mix

Seive flour into mixing bowl, add butter and chop into small pieces. Add water. Roll in a long strip and spread lard over evenly but not thickly. Fold in three; roll out again and spread lard repeating the process three times. Put steak and gravy in pie dish, putting a pie funnel (if you have one) in the centre to release the steam. Roll out the pastry 1inch larger than the pie dish and cut a half inch wide strip from edge. Lay this strip around the edge of the pie dish first wetting the rim, press it to make it stick. Lay pastry over the pie and poke a hole in the centre for the funnel. Press around edge to make pattern. Any remaining pasry can be cut in leaves etc. to decorate the top. Brush with beaten egg. Cook for 30 minutes approx at Gas 7-8; Electricity 450 - 475 deg. F.

Here's a recipe, taken from http://www.rampantscotland.com for water crust mutton pies - which I think is more the sort you are talking about - although some of my American friends say that they are not authentic in the States as they use beef instead of mutton!

Traditional Scottish Recipes
    - Scotch Pie

Large numbers of Scotch Pies are sold in Scotland every day - they are an original "fast food" and are often sold at the half-time interval at football (soccer) matches. The pies are made in special straight-sided moulds, roughly 3-3 inches (7.5-8.5cm) in diameter and about 1 inches (4cm) deep. A pastry lid, inside the pie, covers the meat about inch (1cm) below the rim. This leaves a space at the top of the pie which can be filled, if required - with hot gravy, baked beans, mashed (creamed) potatoes etc. The meat is usually mutton (sometimes of varying quality). Many bakers have their own recipes and add spices to give additional flavour - there is now an annual competition for the best Scotch Pie.

Grannie Black, in Candleriggs in Glasgow, was a character who had such a reputation for such good mutton pies that people came from far and wide - the pub named after her has, unfortunately, been demolished.

The quantities below should make roughly 8/10 pies.
    Ingredients for the Meat Filling:
    1 pound (500g or two cups) lean lamb, minced (ground)
    Pinch of mace or nutmeg
    Salt and pepper
    Quarter pint (150ml) gravy
    Ingredients for the Hot Water Pastry:
    1 pound (500g or four cups) plain flour
    6 ounces (175g or cup) lard
    6 fluid ounces (225ml or cup) approximately of water
    Pinch of salt
    Milk for glazing

You will also need glasses or jars, approximately 3-3 inches (7.5-8.5cm) in diameter to shape the pie.

Method:
    Create the filling by mixing the minced (ground) lamb, spice and seasoning.
    Make the pastry by sifting the flour and salt into a warm bowl. Make a well in the centre of the flour. Melt the lard in a scant measure of water and, when it is bubbling, add to the flour and mix thoroughly. Take a small amount (remember the mixture should make 8/10 pies, with their tops) and form into a ball and keep the rest warm while making each pastry case. This is done by rolling a suitable amount for each pie and shaping the crust round the base of a glass or jar approximately 3-3 inches (7.5-8.5cm) in diameter. Make sure there are no cracks in the pastry - you can trim round the top of the case to make it even. As the pastry cools and gets cool, remove the glass and continue until you have about a quarter of the pastry left to make the lids.
    Fill the cases with the meat and add the gravy to make the meat moist.
    Roll the remaining pastry and use the glass to cut the lids. Wet the edges of the lids, place over the meat and press down lightly over the filling. Pinch the edges and trim. Cut a small hole or vent in the centre of the lid (to allow the steam to escape).
    Glaze with milk and bake for about 45 minutes at 275F/140C/Gas mark 1. If the pies are not eaten immediately, they can be stored in the 'fridge but always ensure they are properly reheated before being eaten.

Comment

Can I emphasise the importance of a good pinch of white pepper. It must be white pepper for a bit of a nip when you bite into the mince.
      If ye thocht a Scotsman wis a kilted hielander stanin oan a hillside shoutin

Heers tae is, Aa faa's like is - Damn fyow an they're aa deid

Ye hivnea met me

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the recipes! I appreciate it!

Comment

Great recipe! Where can one purchase the special straight-sided moulds needed to mould the crusts for these pies?

Comment

Hello
            I don't know where you live, but I've seen the moulds for sale in department stores in Edinburgh. My moulds were my granny's and are at least 80 years old!

Comment

Thank you for your reply to my enquiry. Would any one on the forum like to undertake the task of locating these meat pie pastry moulds, purchasing them and sending them to me in the USA? They just do not seem to be availalbe in the USA. At least I cannot locate them. I am sure transfer of payment would easily be accomplished.

Comment

Why not just use heavy based glasses or jam jars, as suggested in the recipe I posted above?

Comment

Imports

Mite try contacting this place to see if they can import the pie tins for you---http://www.gaelicimports.com/

I have found them to very helpful!

Comment

I am an exiled Glaswegian living in deep South Texas with absolutely no culinary skills.

I have been spectacularly unsuccessful in being able to purchase a decent steak pie in America and have now decided that the only option is to make it myself !!

The Steak Pies that my mother made (and, also, the pies that we purchased back in Glasgow) had a "doughy" pastry lining the pie dish as well as the puff or flaky pastry topping the pie. How dow you make this doughy pastry for the dish lining ?

Comment

Originally posted by Father_of_Eowyn
                      Just found these forums!

I've been looking for a recipe for Scottish Meat Pies, but have so far been unsuccessful. Most of the recipes I have seen have them being made with crimps on the side. I was wanting the recipe that make a 4-inch (or so) round pastry with the filling in the middle. (I've seen them this way at various Scottish fairs here in the US.)

Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance!

Father_of_Eowyn - I am new to this forum, and understand that this post has some age on it, but if you are still out there, I own a couple of the machines that make the free standing pie shells that you are referring to. We currently sell to Scottish Pubs in my area, and would be glad to talk with you as well if you are interested for your personal/business use. This method is the authentic way of making, and much less hassle than trying to form using a glass or soup can. We have dies to make both the small and large sizes.

Thanks

Comment

McKimmie
                        You are selling 'commercial' pie moulds.... not the same thing AT ALL as our family pie-making!

Comment

Originally posted by Polwarth
                          McKimmie
                          You are selling 'commercial' pie moulds.... not the same thing AT ALL as our family pie-making!

Hello Polwarth. Thank you for the welcome. My family is from Greenock, so I am familiar with meat pies and their shells as I know them. As part of an educational inquiry, how does your granny's shell differ from that that I suggest?

MACKIMMIE

Comment

Well, they aren't a machine, for a start! They are metal moulds.

Comment

Originally posted by MacKimmie
                              Father_of_Eowyn - I am new to this forum, and understand that this post has some age on it, but if you are still out there, I own a couple of the machines that make the free standing pie shells that you are referring to. We currently sell to Scottish Pubs in my area, and would be glad to talk with you as well if you are interested for your personal/business use. This method is the authentic way of making, and much less hassle than trying to form using a glass or soup can. We have dies to make both the small and large sizes.

Thanks

As Father_of_Eowyn has only posted twice in all the time he has been here I suggest that
                              you try and e-mail him from the site to see if he is still interested in the pies....one thought
                              is that he may not allow e-mails to be sent to him !!

---------------------------------------------------------------

I always thought shells related to the sea...

Comment

Working...
                              X