Clan Henderson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clan Henderson

Good Evening to ya everyone. I'm just curious how many othe Hendersons are out there. My family is originally from Peterhead but immigrated to Canada in the lates 1800's. So let's here from all my clansmen or clanswomen for that matter.

Jeffrey
    "Sola Virtus Nobilitat"

Henderson

Many of the Henderson are septs to the following clans: Gunn and MacDonald of Glencoe. There are three origins to this name form opposite ends of the kingdom: 1) Henderson of the Boarders. William Henderson was chamberlain of Lochmaben Castle around 1374. From Dumfriessshire the family spread across into Liddesdale, but they do not appear in the list of border clans. From the Dumfriesshire family descended James Henderson , who Lord Advocate around 1494. The castle is no longer in Henderson hands. The most prominent of the Hendersons of Fordell was Alexander Henderson, who was born around 1583. He was educated at the University of St. Andrews where he became a Master of Arts and Professor of Philosophy.

Thomas Henderson of Dundee became one of the most famous astronomers in the 19th century.

2) The Henderson in the north of the country lived in Glencoe, and took the English version of their name from the Gaelic Maceanruig, claiming to descend from the Pictish prince, Eanruig Mor Mac Righ Neachtain, or 'big Henry son of King Neachtian'.

3) In the far North the name Henderson arises again, but from a different source. Hendry, one of the younger sons of a 15th century chief of Clan Gunn, hereditary crowners of Caithness, formed his own sept, which took his name.

[This message has been edited by Celto (edited 14 April 2000).]

Comment

Maiden name was Henderson born in Edinburgh, moved to the USA when I was 2. Visit with my family in Fife ocassionally. Want to stay in touch.

Comment

Clan Henderson

I am Wanda Henderson. I am relatively new to the whole Clan, Family, Geneology trace, etc. But I do know that my Grandfather was born in Indian Territory in 1901, (Oklahoma,USA) Prior to that, I don't know much except that there are the " stories" that have been passed down about being Scottish warriors, etc. I am proud of my Scottish roots, and I am excited to know that there are at least 2800 members in the Clan Henderson Society of North America and Canada. I am a new member myself and therefore have the luxury of a Clan Geneologist. If anyone is interested, let me know and if there is any other information, pass it along to!!!

Comment

Henderson's

I am a decendant of Robert and Jane Henderson. Robert Henderson was born at Garvald Maines, Haddington Shire, Scotland on December 16,1814 and died near Goodland,Indiana on November 7,1891. If you are related please respond.

Comment

Henderson

I do not know if I am related or not, but Hey, that's OK by me! I can stil be a cousin!

Comment

Hendersons

I do not know if I am related to any of the above but there must be some distant connection if we all have the same name.

I do not know much about my family farther back than my Grandparents, who as far as I know always stayed in the UK. Once I find out more I will post it here. If anybody can assist me in tracing my family tree I would appreciate it!

Comment

My Grandparents were John Henderson and Margaret Henderson (nee Whetley) John was born in 1919 and Margaret in 1920. They stayed in Inverkeithing with their kids. 3 sons and 2 daughters.

Comment

Hendersons

Claire is my daughter. My mother's maiden name was Wheatley (her spellings terrible). My father and mother lived in Inverkeithing until they died - mum in 82 and dad in 89. My grandparents were John and Agnes Henderson who also lived in Inverkeithing (Spittalfield). Anyone who can add info - please do. My father had two brothers and three sisters, Cathy(deceased), Annie, Nessie(deceased), Willie (deceased) and David (deceased)

Comment

are you by default a member of the clan if your last name is Henderson

Comment

Re: Hendersons

Originally posted by 10147
                      Claire is my daughter. My mother's maiden name was Wheatley (her spellings terrible). My father and mother lived in Inverkeithing until they died - mum in 82 and dad in 89. My grandparents were John and Agnes Henderson who also lived in Inverkeithing (Spittalfield). Anyone who can add info - please do. My father had two brothers and three sisters, Cathy(deceased), Annie, Nessie(deceased), Willie (deceased) and David (deceased)
                      In reply to your message, my name is beverley jeffery, from the Isle of wight my father james barclay henderson is first cousin to annie and nessie henderson. My father was born in inverkeithing in scotland my grandmothers name was helen barclay henderson and my grandfather was william henderson.Looking forward to any replies to my message date of this massage 04/04/04 my e mail address if anyone would like to contact me is peterjeffery@wight356.net

Comment

hello
                        my maiden name is Henderson. i know that my father and grandfather are both born in the usa. i would like to know more about the Henderson clan society. any information would be much appreciated! thanks

Comment

Hello
                          The following information was taken from http://www.electricscotland.com Another good, Scottish-based site is http://www.rampantscotland.com There may well be lots more info on the Hendersons on both sites.

The name Henderson or MacKendrick (Henry's son) is the same as Henryson or in Gaelic MacEanruig. The legendry ancestor of the Hendersons is Eanruig Mor Mac Righ Neachtan "Big Henry, son of King Nectan", said to be a Pictish King who reigned from A.D. 700 to 720. Unfortunately, it is impossible to substantiate this claim and it is more probable that the clan is descended from one Dughald MacEanruig who flourished in the 1300's. The principal family came from Glencoe, and were hereditary pipers to Clan Abrach. However, the male line came to an end when the heiress of Clan MacEanruig married into the MacDonalds of Glencoe through Iain Abrach of the MacIains of Glencoe. This clan of MacIain is long remembered as being the clan who was massacred at Glencoe in 1692. Another branch of the Hendersons in the north was a sept of Clan Gunn descending from Henry, a son of the chief George Gunn who was coroner of Caithness. There were also Hendersons of Fordell who resided at Fordell Castle near Inverkeithing in Fife. The castle was built in the 16th Century after the lands were acquired by James Henderson in 1511. The most distinguished of this branch was Alexander Henderson, leader of the Reformation who, with Archibald Johnstone, drew up the historic National Covenant of protest in 1638. This branch of the Hendersons is now the chiefly line although the present-day chief no longer lives in Scotland but in Queensland Australia.

Comment

We're related!!!!

Originally posted by McHendrick
                            I am a decendant of Robert and Jane Henderson. Robert Henderson was born at Garvald Maines, Haddington Shire, Scotland on December 16,1814 and died near Goodland,Indiana on November 7,1891. If you are related please respond.

Hi there. Hope you get this message. I started doing some research yesterday and just happened across your post. I have a booklet compiled in 1960 which has the information you quoted in it. Robert and Jane Phillips Henderson would be my maternal great, great, great-grandparents.

Comment

Hi there, my name is Stuart Henderson I was born in Dumfries, as was my mother. My Gran Agnes Henderson was born in Westerly, Rhode Island after her parents moved there in the early 1900's from Dalbeattie, Dumfrieshire - My great Grandfather (Samuel Henderson) died there and my great Grandmother moved back to Dalbeattie afterwards and married his brother (a bit dodgy if you ask me). My Gran also had a brother who stayed in the USA and is buried in Vermont in a military graveyard. My Mum and Myself went over on holiday a few years back to try and Find my Great Grandfathers grave, unfortunately we had no luck - however we did find a grave in Westerly, which according to the records belonged to my grans brother who died as a baby. As far as I know my great great gradparents also come from Dumfries and Galloway - further back than that I have no idea I'm afraid. Thats my tuppenceworth

Stuart

Comment

Working...
                              X