Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson's In Scotland

Good afternoon:

I have 4 locations for the surname of Gibson: Caithness - Dumfries - Midlothian & Fife. They have also been listed as a Sept of the Clan Cameron and the Clan Buchanan. Gibson's first recorded in records abt 1235 (give or take) Bt yet they have their own Coat of Arms which is confusing along with everything else.

My problem is that I can't connect the ancestor that is suspose to have come to the Colonies in or about 1740 - born Scotland - actual location is unknown. I've checked many data bases - web sites - etc and can find No listing of that ancestor - Ziba Gibson, anywhere. He and his wife (Mary Bennett) exist only in written records in the U.S. they had 3 children: Thomas born abt 1735 - Mary Born abt 1738 and Nelson B: abt 1740.

There are two stories of how Ziba & Mary came to the colonies: one very mundane and boring, the second is filled with mystery and danger. The one thing that all the stories have in common is that Ziba had a Grant from the crown for 100 acres of land in Anson County, North Carolina (Now Richmond County) on Hitchcock Creek -- there is no record of the widow (Ziba passed away shortly after their arrival/Charlotte Co. Virgina) claiming the land - the grant is not on the Virginia records, nor the North Carolina records. Nelson eventually ends up with 100 acres of land on Hitcock Creek but I find that on a regular deed not a land grant from the Crown. -- This of course is the Mundane story which is more likely the truth of the matter.

If anyone can lend a hand or point me in a direction to look that I Might be able to find Ziba & Mary (Bennett) Gibson or records of the childrens birth, it would be greatly appreciated

Records back then are sketchy. Have you tried the GRO? I have to say, without an area (and the four you give are quite a distance apart (or was in those days) -it may be difficult for you.

What about searching for passenger lists in US govt historical immigration records?

General Register Office for Scotland.

Comment

Gibson's

Morning :
      Actually, I think that I should be saying Good Evening to you: If I remember my conversation, it should be about 6:00 PM on your side of the world

How would I go about checking the General Register Office for Scotland from this side of the world.

I've checked several data bases on your side of the world and there is no mention of a Ziba Gibson or any name that could be shorten to become Ziba - I've checked several ships rosters for the name of Gibson and Bennett around the 1740 date, to no avail - I have documents for the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) and they say that Thomas was born in Virginia - Neslon born in Rockingham county, NC and Mary also in Virginia, which leads me to believe that it's possible that all the stories handed down are far from true - that leads to many other possibilities --

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate Faery View Post
        Morning :
        Actually, I think that I should be saying Good Evening to you: If I remember my conversation, it should be about 6:00 PM on your side of the world

How would I go about checking the General Register Office for Scotland from this side of the world.

I've checked several data bases on your side of the world and there is no mention of a Ziba Gibson or any name that could be shorten to become Ziba - I've checked several ships rosters for the name of Gibson and Bennett around the 1740 date, to no avail - I have documents for the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) and they say that Thomas was born in Virginia - Neslon born in Rockingham county, NC and Mary also in Virginia, which leads me to believe that it's possible that all the stories handed down are far from true - that leads to many other possibilities --
        The GRO has census info plus OPR (Old Parish Records) - although the records are incomplete - time, fire, flood and bomb damage has caused losses.

You will have to pay for the 'searches' you do - have a look at the site, it'll give you pointers. It is relatively inexpensive - and they don't care where you live!

As for your family 'stories' - as you surmise, they may just be that: stories!

Ziba sounds like an American/biblical name - and the English were very fond of biblical names, particularly those who emigrated from the UK.

Comment

I think Gibson is fairly common in Easter Ross as well.

(Two can play at George Orwell quotes)
          "In this country I don’t think it is enough realized—I myself had no idea of it until a few years ago—that Scotland has a case against England."

Comment

Gibson - Scottish or not

Afternoon:

Ships Registers: In order to check the registers, I would first have to know where Ziba & His family actually arrived. One story says Virginia - another says North Carolina - I would also need to have an idea as to when- all I really have is that he May have been anywhere from the late 1600's to the early 1700's and passed away some where around 1740 in Virginia. However there are No records in Virginia of a Ziba or Mary (Bennett( Gibson having ever been there muchless a burial record for a Ziba Gibson.

The DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) state that Thiomas Gibson was born in Scotland OR Virginia and his brother Nelson was born In Rockingham County North Carolina- no mention of Scotland on his papers and I've never sent for Mary's (Sister) records but I know that they are there.

I know that both Thomas & Nelson were both in the Revolutionary War - and rode with Francis Marion (The Swamp Fox)

One Gibson reseacher has the Gibson line comeing from the Isle of Wright which is English however, there is an Isle of Wright in Virginia as well. Unfortunatley when I was in Norfolk, Virginia there was never time to get to any of the records before the offices closed -- there is also a Throughgood home and that name shows up in the Pate/Gibson side of the family.

Maybe, when I finally retire and have an income and the free time to travel, maybe i'll be able to go back up there and see what, if anything I can find.

Have a good day
            Faery Pirate

Comment

Afternoon:

Ships Registers: In order to check the registers, I would first have to know where Ziba & His family actually arrived. One story says Virginia - another says North Carolina - I would also need to have an idea as to when- all I really have is that he May have been anywhere from the late 1600's to the early 1700's and passed away some where around 1740 in Virginia. However there are No records in Virginia of a Ziba or Mary (Bennett( Gibson having ever been there muchless a burial record for a Ziba Gibson.

The DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) state that Thiomas Gibson was born in Scotland OR Virginia and his brother Nelson was born In Rockingham County North Carolina- no mention of Scotland on his papers and I've never sent for Mary's (Sister) records but I know that they are there.

I know that both Thomas & Nelson were both in the Revolutionary War - and rode with Francis Marion (The Swamp Fox)

One Gibson reseacher has the Gibson line comeing from the Isle of Wright which is English however, there is an Isle of Wright in Virginia as well. Unfortunatley when I was in Norfolk, Virginia there was never time to get to any of the records before the offices closed -- there is also a Throughgood home and that name shows up in the Pate/Gibson side of the family.

Maybe, when I finally retire and have an income and the free time to travel, maybe i'll be able to go back up there and see what, if anything I can find.

Have a good day
              Faery Pirate
              I think you'll find that it is the Isle of WIGHT - no 'r' It is a small island off the South coast of England, the nearest mainland ports are Southampton and Portsmouth. Lots of immigration from both English cities.

Comment

I realize this is an old thread but I am a Gibson who is also doing family research. I am at a dead end with my paper trail with Robert Gibson b.1825 Ireland, although I don't know where. He married a woman named Ann, and emigrated to America (New York) most likely in the late 1840's. Based on surname history I suspect he made it to Ireland by way of Scotland during the plantation period, but I don't know for certain. I have had my DNA tested and belong to the Gibson surname project but I don't have any close DNA matches yet.

Comment

regarding Ziba Gibson

Good afternoon:

I have 4 locations for the surname of Gibson: Caithness - Dumfries - Midlothian & Fife. They have also been listed as a Sept of the Clan Cameron and the Clan Buchanan. Gibson's first recorded in records abt 1235 (give or take) Bt yet they have their own Coat of Arms which is confusing along with everything else.

My problem is that I can't connect the ancestor that is suspose to have come to the Colonies in or about 1740 - born Scotland - actual location is unknown. I've checked many data bases - web sites - etc and can find No listing of that ancestor - Ziba Gibson, anywhere. He and his wife (Mary Bennett) exist only in written records in the U.S. they had 3 children: Thomas born abt 1735 - Mary Born abt 1738 and Nelson B: abt 1740.

There are two stories of how Ziba & Mary came to the colonies: one very mundane and boring, the second is filled with mystery and danger. The one thing that all the stories have in common is that Ziba had a Grant from the crown for 100 acres of land in Anson County, North Carolina (Now Richmond County) on Hitchcock Creek -- there is no record of the widow (Ziba passed away shortly after their arrival/Charlotte Co. Virgina) claiming the land - the grant is not on the Virginia records, nor the North Carolina records. Nelson eventually ends up with 100 acres of land on Hitcock Creek but I find that on a regular deed not a land grant from the Crown. -- This of course is the Mundane story which is more likely the truth of the matter.

If anyone can lend a hand or point me in a direction to look that I Might be able to find Ziba & Mary (Bennett) Gibson or records of the childrens birth, it would be greatly appreciated
                  Hello Don't know if this will help you, but I just happened to be wandering through Gibsons in the hope of finding one Henry Gibson when I came across this...

This is quoted from :GIBSON Genealogy in North Carolina

Gibson Family and you will find a Ziba (which I think could be a Jewish name) on about the 5th paragraph down...'

GIBSON FAMILY

EXtract from speech delivered by Col. J. Preston Gibson at a Reunion of
                  the Gibson Family in 1905.

On the side it says: This is a history of the branch of the Gibson Family
                  at Gibson,NC and SC.

".....Ziba, and who died in Va soon after arriving in this country. These two
                  boys, Nelson and Thomas, both enlisted in the Revolutionary War, having
                  recently fled from Europe, they were fired with a desire for freedom and
                  bravely fought under Gen. Marion and other patriotic chieftains for
                  Colonial Independence. In more instances than one are these two Gibson boys
                  mentioned and complimented for their brazenness and heroism. This same
                  Thomas Gibson was Mr. Eli" Gibson's grandfather, he and his brother Nelson
                  both married sisters whose maiden names were William's.

The unmarried daughter of this widow, who came with her mother and two
                  brothers from Scotland to Va. and later to Richmond County, NC, married old
                  man " Wild Cat Billy Smith" the Grandfather of Major Wm. E. Smith, and
                  great grandfather of Mrs. Henry D. Gibson and myself on my mother's side..."

I do hope you can find the full article, as it is too long to post here.
                  With my thanks to Diane Mason in the hope she doesn't mind me passing this on

Comment

Working...
                  X