Videos tagged with "scottish borders"
Gala River Stow Scottish Borders Scotland [00:31]
Tour Scotland video of Gala, a river in the Scottish Borders, and a tributary of the River Tweed. It is sometimes known as the " Gala ", which nickname is also shared with Galashiels, which it flows through. The " Braw Lads O Gala Watter " is a song about people from Galashiels.
Walk Over Bridge To Heaven Stow Scottish Borders Scotland [01:12]
Tour Scotland video of a walk over the Bridge To Heaven over the Gala Water on visit to Stow, Scottish Borders. Stow, is a Scottish village seven miles north of Galashiels. A rare example of a packhorse bridge, built in the 1650s, can be found in Stow opposite the church. There has been a church at Stow since the 7th century but the earliest example still visible today was built in the late 15th century on the site of the Church of St Mary which was consecrated on 3 November 1242. The church used today, St Mary of Wedale, was built in 1876 and features a 140 foot high clock tower.
Arches Melrose Abbey Scottish Borders Scotland [00:33]
Tour Scotland video of old arches at Melrose Abbey on visit to the Scottish Borders. A Gothis style abbey founded in 1136 by Cistercian monks, on the request of King David I of Scotland.
View From The West Melrose Abbey Scottish Borders Scotland [00:30]
Tour Scotland video of the view from the West of the ruins of Melrose Abbey on visit to the Scottish Borders.
Border Stronghold Near Kelso Scottish Borders Of Scotland [00:29]
Tour Scotland video of a Border Stronghold near Kelso on visit to Scottish Borders. The Pringles, who built the tower in the first half of the 15th century, were a prominent Border family. Their position as squires of the powerful earls of Black Douglas brought them the lucrative position of warden of the Ettrick Forest. They suffered from the reivers, as did all people on both sides of the Border. During two raids in 1544, reivers from Northumberland got away with over 700 cattle and 100 horses. The family relocated to Galashiels in the later 16th century, and in 1645 the tower and estate at Smailholm was purchased by the Scotts of Harden, near Hawick.