Videos tagged with "natural history"
Trail Memorial Stained Glass Window St Machar's Cathedral Aberdeen Scotland [00:41]
Tour Scotland video of the James William Helenus Trail memorial stained glass window in St Machar's Cathedral on visit to Aberdeen. James was born on Birsay, Orkney. Educated in Aberdeen, he followed the classical curriculum, completing an arts degree in 1870. Trail was then permitted to study medicine, which allowed him to pursue his lifelong interest in natural history. During this time he was appointed as botanist on the Amazon Steam Navigation Company's explorations of Brazil, spending two years in the Amazon. Trail went on to complete his study of medicine graduating in 1876. He was appointed Regius Professor of Botany at Aberdeen University In 1877, and established the University Herbarium with his own plant collections and those bequeathed to him. Professor Trail died on 18th September 1919.
Autumn View Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum Glasgow Scotland [01:03]
Tour Scotland Autumn view of Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum on visit to Glasgow. The museum's collections come mainly from the McLellan Galleries and from the old Kelvingrove House Museum in Kelvingrove Park. It has one of the finest collections of arms and armour in the world and a vast natural history collection. The art collection includes many outstanding European artworks, including works by the Old Masters, French Impressionists, Dutch Renaissance, Scottish Colourists and exponents of the Glasgow School.
Caerlaverock Castle [02:34]
Dumfries, Scotland Caerlaverock Castle is one of Scotland's great medieval fortresses. For 400 years it stood on the very edge of the kingdom. To the south, across the Solway Firth, lay England. For most of its history, Caerlaverock played an important role in the defence of the realm. Long before the castle was built, the Romans built a fort on the summit of Ward Law Hill, overlooking the castle from the north. By about 950, the British lords of 'Karlauerock' (the name may mean 'fort of the skylark') had built a fort on the site. Around 1220, Alexander II of Scotland, needing trusted men to secure the Scottish West March, granted the estate to his chamberlain, Sir John de Maccuswell (Maxwell). Sir John built the 'old' castle. Within 50 years, his nephew, Sir Herbert, had moved to a new castle just 200m away to the north. There the Maxwell lords remained for the next 400 years. Caerlaverock's triangular shape is unique among British castles. Why it was built this way is not known. A walk around the castle gives a sense of its strength, its economy of form and its pleasing geometry. Three lengths of defensive curtain wall are linked at their three angles by high corner towers. The north tower, facing into Scotland, is a mightily impressive twin-towered gatehouse, where the Maxwells had their private suite of rooms. Down the years the Maxwells repaired and upgraded their ancestral castle. The formidably impressive slotted defences (machicolations) at the tops of the three ...
Tags: Scotland, Castles, Dumfries, Natural History, Historic Scotland, Scottish History. Caelaverock